What is coin roll hunting?

Coin roll hunting is you go to a bank or wherever buy rools of coins and check for silver or key dates. Howard

It is a really fun way to find rare coins and key dates... My best find was an 1893 columbus half dollar. It isnt worth much, but is very interesting

Pennies and nickels are alot of fun, with a lot of wheats, a few indians some buffalos and even some V nickels. I have built a nice collection by coin roll hunting the past year. I hope you give it a try it is very fun.

Do you have a list of exactly what to look for in each denomination?

I've gone through piles of quarters and dimes looking for silver. But I only look at the edges in that case.

Coin roll hunting is pretty fun.

Over the winter when I couldn't go out metal detecting I decided to goto the bank and buy coin rolls.

I bought mostly dime, nickel, and penny rolls. I went out and bought some coin folders and started filling up some wheat ear penny folders and the old nickel folders. I found some silver dimes and some war nickels, as well as a few 100 wheat pennies.

I certainly didn't do it for profit but I definitely got a good start on getting some key dates to add to my coin sets.

Just something to pass the time!

-Kyle

Do you have a list of exactly what to look for in each denomination?

I've gone through piles of quarters and dimes looking for silver. But I only look at the edges in that case.

It depends on what your looking for.

Basically like you said its alot easier to look at the edges of the dimes and quarters if your looking for silver vs. looking at the face of each coin for pre-65's.

With wheat pennies theres many different rare dates and mintmarks, as well as error coins such as double dies, etc.

Of course theres always a chance to find something cool in a roll. I've heard of people getting Mercury dimes and even Barber dimes can show up. Ive never been that lucky myself but always keep your eyes out for old coins.

Last winter I went through approximately $1000 worth of assorted denomination rolls. As far as unique finds go, out of that many rolls, I found maybe 1 or 2 Buffalo nickels in nickel hunts, and in my penny rolls I also once found a full roll of steel wheat pennies. Not that these coins are a rare thing, but still just cool to find.

It all relies on what you want to do.

-Kyle

Thats a good idea. I was wondering how to keep up the search when the ground freezes.

Back
Top Bottom