Teknetics T2 SE Question/advice

Dirtgirl

Hello, I own a T2 SE detector and when I detected this past weekend I kept finding hot rocks.

My settings were 90,21,2+

I did Ground Balance.

After being a little frustrated with all the Hot Rocks I called the Dealer. He suggested that I GB right on the hot rock itself which I plan on trying when I get back to the land this weekend.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had this issue and if there was a fix for it or " it is what it is and you just have to deal with all these hot rocks.

I did email Teknetics but have not heard from anyone yet.

Thanks for your help! And I will try the GB on hot rock..

Thank you

Where are you hunting? Sounds like you're hunting hot soil.

I was hunting with some friends in Northern VA, and hot rocks was all my F-75 was finding. The soil was very difficult and I had to run in all metal to find anything deeper than 3 inches. With that said, I never find hot rocks in mild soil. I would try the all metal side instead of disc. Run the threshold wide open and listen for the changes in the ground, and be sure to ground balance often. And don't trust the vdi number readouts. If it sounds good, dig it.

Hope this helps

My setup with the T2 is this:

99 sens 22 disc 1+ tone
All-Metal 99 sens hum level 2

dig all repeatable, double check in All-Metal

The T2SE doesn't need to run that hot try 82-85. Think you'll like that much better.

Thank you.. I will try all the suggestions.

I am detecting in Rhode Island. And this property is like no other when it comes to hot rocks.

Thanks again-
Sherry

Hi Dirtgirl
I live in upstate ny,have a couple of spots that give me hot rock troubles.I use the setting 85 -88 sens,disc at 21 and tones +2.This boost setting works well also Sens 60,disc 39 and tones BP.thats my go to.And it goes pretty deep at that.Musket balls at 9" no problem.

I don't have a T2 but wouldn't GBing on a hot rock drive the threshold envelope so small you wouldn't be able to detect much except large and shallow targets? Better than nothing I guess. I would collect hot rocks I find and make a test garden to train my brain to understand the differences between them and good targets.

Configuration options for Teknetics T2

Found configuration options for Teknetics T2, maybe someone will be interested in:

1) Search on the beach: Tone 3b Sens 90 Discrimination 40
2) Search relics: Tone 3b Sens 90 Discrimination 10
3) For contaminated soil: Tone Dp Sens 75 Discrimination 18
4) For contaminated soil v.2: Tone 2 Sens 70 Discrimination 15
5) Ancient settlements: Tone 2 Sens 70 Discrimination 15
6) Stubble: Tone 1 Sens 60 Discrimination 25-35
7) Heavy soil: Tone Dp Sens 75 Discrimination 18
8) Coins (fastest mode for the separation): Tone 1 Sens 95 Discrimination 35
9) Riverside: Tone 1 Sens 90 Discrimination 35
10) Pasture: Tone 2 Sens 50 Discrimination 40
11) Universal setup on coins: Tone 2 Sens 70 Discrimination 10-15

I've been using the T2se for a while now, and only occasionally dig hot rocks - but honestly have no idea how to tell a hot rock from a good target. The thing is, the T2 really isn't very good with target ID, and you may notice how target numbers change drastically once a target is brought to the surface. Skipping any repeatable target is a risky move, even if you have a "trick" to know it's a hot rock.

Proposed solution: Maybe you should try a different location?

My take on sensitivity - if you are in the woods, as relic hunters often are, cranking up the sensitivity does help in a positive way. For example, if you are swinging away and come close to a target out of your swing range, the machine will actually have a good chance of picking it up and make you move over to the good target, but if you happen to be running lower sens you run the risk of missing targets outside of your sweep range.

In trashy sites... that's a different story. There's been plenty of times where I was in a trashy area that made my T2 chatter like one of those crank-up teeth toys. Lowering the sensitivity helps in this situation.

In the woods where things are quiet... crank it up!

So basically sensitivity can be your best friend or an annoying co-worker. Depends on the situation!

I seem to think the fast grab works pretty well on the t2 se, sometimes after ive done that I'll check it out by switching to manual ground balance and it is always pretty close. Also for my settings I run 78/30/BP and I do really well worth finding silver in trashy sites.

Use AM mode and listen to your machine. On most hot rocks it will produce quite a different sound than the clear "zip" like response for a good metal.

Most of the time hot rocks won't produce consistent numbers. Check by sweeping in an other direction, lift the coil while sweeping.

When GB'ing try set the machine to a number where it's ground response is slightly negative. In most cases this will make the hot rocks sound off even more.

Hope this works for you. In my case it does (salt water beaches: AM, S = 85, GB = 0-1, before setting the machine to AM fist select Boost in Disc).

Good luck!

Start with default sensitivity

For best results and max depth, I've found that starting with the default sensitivity of 60 then ground balancing using the fast grab. After that crank up the sensitivity to just short of where it starts to chatter.

For best results and max depth, I've found that starting with the default sensitivity of 60 then ground balancing using the fast grab. After that crank up the sensitivity to just short of where it starts to chatter.

Your using a Nels or Cors coil ?

Last Activity for dirt girl was : 05-19-16 03:41 PM By now she has a Equinox if she is still metal detecting.....

Back
Top Bottom