Does anyone know about the 1958 Silver penny?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found a few of these pennies today and am now very curious. I hope these pictures help someone identify what these coins are. I got 2000 "unsearched" wheat pennies from Ebay. I found 3 1958-D's just like the pics in these bags. Maybe it's coated but I find it odd several people have reported 58-D's like this around here. Also odd that all 3 of the ones I found in the same batch were that year and mint. Details are great and the coins are in excellent shape as shown in the picture..
It looks like you came across some very nice coins. I don't know why these coins in question are 1958 mint? I don't see anything in the composition to make it any different?

Years Material Mass (grams)
1793–1796 100% copper 13.48
1796–1857 100% copper 10.89
1856–1864 88% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12) 4.67
1864–1942 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc) 3.11
1943 zinc-coated steel (also known as 1943 steel cent) 2.67
1944–1946 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) 3.11
1946–1962 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1962–1981 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1982 varies: brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) or copper-plated zinc (97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper)[6] 3.11 or 2.5
1983–present 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)[7] 2.5

The likely answer is my coins are plated. I just found it odd that others have reported 58-D specifically as having this look. It was also the last year they made wheat cents. Mine are the same size as a normal penny. Other "plated" coins I've seen have a different look though. Mine look just like an AU or BU 1943 steel penny. Others that are plated still had a slight tone to them but these 58-Ds don't. There is no build up around the year or letters either. One of mine has some small scratches but I see no indication of copper underneath. all 3 I found are the same year and mint. Again the logical answer is that they are plated but it's odd others have reported this same year and mint as being found this way. Maybe someone just did a great job playing these coins..

The likely answer is my coins are plated. I just found it odd that others have reported 58-D specifically as having this look. It was also the last year they made wheat cents. Mine are the same size as a normal penny. Other "plated" coins I've seen have a different look though. Mine look just like an AU or BU 1943 steel penny. Others that are plated still had a slight tone to them but these 58-Ds don't. There is no build up around the year or letters either. One of mine has some small scratches but I see no indication of copper underneath. all 3 I found are the same year and mint. Again the logical answer is that they are plated but it's odd others have reported this same year and mint as being found this way. Maybe someone just did a great job playing these coins..
I agree the dates being the same has me puzzled.

I think it is likely that these were coated specifically because it was the last year of issue. I suspect somebody thought it would make an interesting conversation starter, more so because it was the last day of issue.

i am sure it is similar to the 1943 steel cents that were widely coated for the novelty.

I didnt use my time going through all four pages, but i also have a 1958-d wheat that is plated. years ago i asked my coinstore guy what it was and he said it was just plated.

The first thing I would do is measure the diameter ... I've heard of cents being struck on dime planchets and quarters being struck on nickel planchets

The first thing I would do is measure the diameter ... I've heard of cents being struck on dime planchets and quarters being struck on nickel planchets

Those are so blatantly obvious that there is no need to measure. You can instantly tell when looking at it that something is seriously wrong beside just the metal type.

I have found 2 silver and one gold colored one. Found them all at the same school. I took them to be appraised. Thought maybe I won the lottery. Lol. The gentleman I talked to said it was really common back then for schools to do science experiments with pennies like plating them and such and the coins I brought in would probably sell for a couple dollars each. He had about a dozen priced in his book for a few dollars a piece kinda gave up on my dreams of striking it rich lol

Think I found one today

Morning hunt this morning hit the bushes to see if I missed anything at my little park these suckers were deep also found a weird penny. The Penny is a 1958d and looks to be plated?

But got some silvers a few wheats... Found a merc and wheat in a lil spill together

enjoy
e4b796b00c150a16be9f46cec79335c0.jpg
27a9d809f39dda555f18caba5a2425e3.jpg
b861fea83b1a492c1a4bad92abf62541.jpg
1c7b830458a09c3d6673dd0d3cef5282.jpg
c1e52d8f1775be08dde8e54e7883339b.jpg
974ef1699460b1d82172e7cac1bfde8a.jpg
a80db6444acccbda09130591bbcd969c.jpg
3b8a3e4fe87288fff43a06810051dee4.jpg

In early to mid 70's, I can't recall exactly and am to lazy to look up, but the mint conducted a trial and struck a bunch of aluminum cents. They were trying to find a cheaper alternative to copper. Almost all were destroyed. I can't remember why. I think it had to do something with toxicity (kids swallowing them). Anyway, if you find one of these and can find a buyer without the Feds finding out, you would be super rich!!:lol:

There was a lawsuit about one of these a bit ago. It was finally settled in favor of the owner of the coin.

CoinWorld Online has a cheap subscription rate.

I have found 2 silver and one gold colored one. Found them all at the same school. I took them to be appraised. Thought maybe I won the lottery. Lol. The gentleman I talked to said it was really common back then for schools to do science experiments with pennies like plating them and such and the coins I brought in would probably sell for a couple dollars each. He had about a dozen priced in his book for a few dollars a piece kinda gave up on my dreams of striking it rich lol

Sigh... I don't want to be a downer, but, he told you they were worth that because he had them priced at that.

It is quite common to do this to coins. It is still done today with wheat cents.

I don't remember the exact formula but I think it was with hydrochloric or sulfuric acid and zinc. (or maybe that's how we made hydrogen gas)

(unless of course he bought them from you at a few dollars apiece, then I am completely wrong.)

I have one too..and this is not plated..mine is well worn and no copper color coming through..very lightweight, less than copper penny. 1958 D silver colored wheat penny raised edges..found in ky ..pic won't load from my phone..where can I sell this lol

Back
Top Bottom