New Minelab Equinox

If you never detected before in your life and Googled, "metal detector", there is no minelab, deus, nokta to be found. That is where the never, ever's are at. Trying to break ground to the general populous, huge undertaking, with already stand out companies. This is a bit daunting to some one who never detected. Even if someone wanted to upgrade, The person would most likely return to where past machine was bought. My presumption is, even this detector is not as in demand as we think. After it's release, they can be had by the millions.

I can wait for any detector, but I just activated my credit card for when its available.:D
Like you said, it would be cool if there are plenty to go around.

My business is in the same flux, if you will. Try to market to the non-initiated and unknowing in your industry. Huge task.... Easily filled by a select group but, competing down the road is an uphill road.

Sorry, business has kept me too busy to reply to this one.

Try to realize the audience here. There are like, 15 people on this forum and maybe a hundred on the other popular forums, that CANNOT wait to get this machine. Reality is, 90% of the folks in the metal detecting world, I.E., common hobby folk, A) don't read forums, B) don't care. In other words, 90% of the hobby people except the ones on all these forums don't care. There will not be a stampede to get one when they actually release them. For the first month with all the back orders, yes, maybe. From then on it will be trying to market to the masses. This is the crux of marketing and the real deal breaker in success of any product. Even kitchen gadgets...

It may not be the fbsers who put their used units up sale in masses.
Rather a few other models/brands.

And yes after some of the fbsers infact do some comparisons to Equinox they may indeed sell their fbs units- depending.
Some after comparisons may sell their Equinoxes too.

Folks should also remember there are some folks who do believe in having more than just one detector model to use to detect.

So even what we see happen to the used market may not tell the whole story as far as actual Equinox sales.

Bottom line White's mxsport, Garrett AT line has definitely been challenged.
Just from the waterproofy thingy.
The lighter weight should make the detector very appealing to some too.

And this detector not expected to hit the market for a while, so there may be a delay as far as folks who decide to unload some units either because they feel they don't need, or just want to liquidate some older detectors for loot to buy Equinox and possible Equinox accessories.
Also don't forget the new pinpointer that seems to have some sort of ferrous disc.

No matter what manufacturer released let's say a "barn burner" performing detector,,there will be those who jump on fast,,some who jump on slower, some who will sell one or more units fast, some who will stand fast, some who defintiely want to see feedback from purchasers they trust, some will wait even longer even if performance reported is very good, but fear glitches and other shortcomings.

Not a one size fits all here,,folks are different.
But this light weight and price of units will turn more heads than usual for a new release pending.
(Mud-puppy is your fine example here).
All normal human reactions.

Now if a fbs3 Minelab were being released that weighed a little than a Deus and ID similar to CTX,,you could expect to see many boat anchor fbs/fbs2 units start cropping up in the used portions of forums for sale.

Another thing.
With each passing day, IMO the percentage of actual detectorists looking at, or participating in metal detecting forum(s) is going up.
Why?
Because the older less computer/internet savvy are either becoming too old to detect, hence lose interest, or kick the bucket.
And hence the younger generations are replacing at a faster rate.

I highly suspect there are some older detectorist out there who have never seen or participated in a detecting forum, even looked Facebook, have an email account or anything.
They may be still using rotary dial phones too.

Last edited:

And yes after some of the fbsers infact do some comparisons to Equinox they may indeed sell their fbs units- depending.

Folks should also remember there are some folks who do believe in having more than just one detector model to use to detect.

So even what we see happen to the used market may not tell the whole story as far as actual Equinox sales.

And this detector not expected to hit the market for a while, so there may be a delay as far as folks who decide to unload some units either because they feel they don't need, or just want to liquidate some older detectors for loot to buy Equinox and possible Equinox accessories.
Also don't forget the new pinpointer that seems to have some sort of ferrous disc.

Yes to all you said! My reply was, what happens after the initial rush from people like us on these forums? We are a group that embraces the latest tech. AND... We pre-order it....LOL!!!! The general public will take years to catch up. MineLab will have about 10,000 or more pre-orders according to the numbers on the forums. Next Spring like all others, there needs to be another marketing campaign to lure in the un-initiated crowd. Marketing is a BIATCH!!!

I think this will be the longest thread in the history of this site so far. LOL!!

Could be.

I just hope it keeps folks bound together moreso not tear us apart.

Communicating is good.
Even see the newbies in here talking, very good.

Friendly forum!!!

And after this detector gets in folks hands.

To see good honest debate as far as what they are hearing, seeing, likes, dislikes.
And comments as far as comparing to other model units.

Not to DOG other units either.
So folks should be telling us what they are experiencing,,not say things like buy Equinox and dump whatever unit Xxx.

Being more specific as far as what one model detector does better vs another model should be key.
I am sure there will be areas where some models will be better than even the Equinox for example.

Still no perfect detector I have used yet, model wise.
Could Equinox be such animal?
I highly doubt it.

No matter what manufacturer released let's say a "barn burner" performing detector,,there will be those who jump on fast,,some who jump on slower, some who will sell one or more units fast, some who will stand fast, some who defintiely want to see feedback from purchasers they trust, some will wait even longer even if performance reported is very good, but fear glitches and other shortcomings.

Not a one size fits all here,,folks are different.
But this light weight and price of units will turn more heads than usual for a new release pending.
(Mud-puppy is your fine example here).
All normal human reactions.

Now if a fbs3 Minelab were being released that weighed a little than a Deus and ID similar to CTX,,you could expect to see many boat anchor fbs/fbs2 units start cropping up in the used portions of forums for sale.

Another thing.
With each passing day, IMO the percentage of actual detectorists looking at, or participating in metal detecting forum(s) is going up.
Why?
Because the older less computer/internet savvy are either becoming too old to detect, hence lose interest, or kick the bucket.
And hence the younger generations are replacing at a faster rate.

I highly suspect there are some older detectorist out there who have never seen or participated in a detecting forum, even looked Facebook, have an email account or anything.
They may be still using rotary dial phones too.

Very good post.

Steve

And after this detector gets in folks hands.

To see good honest debate as far as what they are hearing, seeing, likes, dislikes.
And comments as far as comparing to other model units.

Not to DOG other units either.
So folks should be telling us what they are experiencing,,not say things like buy Equinox and dump whatever unit Xxx.

Being more specific as far as what one model detector does better vs another model should be key.
I am sure there will be areas where some models will be better than even the Equinox for example.

Still no perfect detector I have used yet, model wise.
Could Equinox be such animal?
I highly doubt it.

And another very good post. Totally agree. As SOON as these units get into users' hands, I hope we get some honest, truthful, unbiased reports on performance, INCLUDING comparisons to other units (FBS1/2, Deus, others) -- NOT to dog the other units, but to serve as a point-of-reference that many will be familiar with...

Scientific testing always compares an "unknown," to a "known baseline," and then tweaks the unknown, comparing results repeatedly to the "baseline" in order to properly, thoroughly evaluate the "unknown."

Steve

Sorry, business has kept me too busy to reply to this one.

Try to realize the audience here. There are like, 15 people on this forum and maybe a hundred on the other popular forums, that CANNOT wait to get this machine. Reality is, 90% of the folks in the metal detecting world, I.E., common hobby folk, A) don't read forums, B) don't care. In other words, 90% of the hobby people except the ones on all these forums don't care. There will not be a stampede to get one when they actually release them. For the first month with all the back orders, yes, maybe. From then on it will be trying to market to the masses. This is the crux of marketing and the real deal breaker in success of any product. Even kitchen gadgets...

90 percent of facts on the interwebs are pulled out of someone's rear.

Now, here is what is likely to happen with some folks.

They will compare a few targets, using another detector model to Equinox or hunt a what they think or claim is a hard hunted site and may or may not make some finds.

The only thing I can say here.
Be mindful of the following.

Every single detector I have run (except Minelab GPX because I didn't run enough) will have a nuance let's say.
What does this mean exactly?
The detector will give clues to nonferrous targets existing ( not textbook or what we call the easy stuff).

So what I am saying is don't jump to conclusions too fast based on Equinox useage.
It could be better than one thinks with little run time behind.

The Deus for example,, there are nonferrous targets the detector will give clues to existing,,,but you gotta be paying attention,,and know/learn what to watch/listen for.

We have not seen any video thus far really what we could call challenged targets tonally.

Now some here may already be getting a brainstorm here, thinking they can take say a Deus or another model, find a challenged target and compare to Eqinox,,and in doing think they can nail down the Equinox with surety as far as what challenged targets sounds like.

This indeed can work,,but be careful, it might not either.
Don't assume one of these detectors is better or worse than the other.
Will take quite a few target scenarios before any conclusions can be drawn one way or the other.

I will be watching to see if anyone experiments with the noise cancel feature, to see just what benefits it actually can give a user.
Remember Vlf wise only the fbs/fbs detectors have ever used noise cancel feature.
This noise cancel can it help us with silent emi??

90 percent of facts on the interwebs are pulled out of someone's rear.

“EQUINOX, with Multi-IQ, has the potential to obsolete all the traditional VLF detectors that enthusiasts have been using for decades.” –Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd.

The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions… just select your detecting location and go!

Came right off Minelabs own website. I also have a college education and no where do I read that it will obsolete fbs tech or machines that are capable of switching freq or running more than one freq at the same time.

Also on their website it states it is the most exciting new machine they have released since 2012 in the ctx. I happen to see this as truth as well because the only thing released was the go find series and I think the safari, which is a great machine that they took all the ways to mess up a FBs machine and made it where a non experienced detectorists can still have great results. I'm not including gold machines and they are not either on the website.

I have an equinox 800 on pre order myself . I have purchased almost every other machine released as I like to test machines. I go by what I read and not what overly excited peeps speculate. Nothing I post comes out of my backside only what I read from the companies own website.

I truly believe what they say, and only what they say. The posts I have made were because going through this thread peeps sounded like they were ready to unload their ctx's, etracs and other machines, I honestly feel like from what I read on minelabs own website and using their words only, that some peeps might end up regretting a hasty decision.

Some possibilities as far as this Minelab not mentioning Equinox obsoletes full band spectrum detectors.

Comparing to fbs/fbs 2 units.

Equinox could be deeper in milder ground coil size for coil size, at locating targets tonally not necessarily providing good to great ID.

Equinox could be more swing speed forgiving when hunting in iron and also give more latitude from an angular approach to locate nonferrous targets.

Equinox could be deeper or locate lower conductive targets better than fbs/fbs detectors.

Equinox may suffer ID wise more on average as the soil mineral levels rise.
And remember deeper targets even in less minerlized soil, minerlization effects start to mount.

Equinox could be somewhat less stable in salt water/beach environment vs full band spectrum, yet be more stable compared to non full band spectrum detectors.

The Equinox line, in the end could be viewed as threading a needle between non fbs detectors and fbs detectors,,,but weight and cost may be viewed as worthy enough for folks to purchase and be satisfied as a one detector setup for detecting.

Notice the words used above may or could.
Only speculation and I am sure all of the above will be looked at hard when some folks receive their units.

This has been very interesting to see the stir created by the announcement of a new MD. I am very interested as well. I guess this could mean the end of the X-Terra line? Compared to this new multi-frequency machine, the cost of having all three coil frequencies at your fingertips with the X-terra, you could easily pick up either one of the new Equinox models.
My big concern is that if I would decide to sell my current MD to fund the purchase of a new Equinox, how much more will it depreciate beyond the "normal" amount that all machines do when the Equinox hits the shelves? On the other hand, is competitive technology great or what?
I really hope this new Equinox performs as described. I could actually afford to own one of these multi-frequency Minelab machines without breaking the bank.

“EQUINOX, with Multi-IQ, has the potential to obsolete all the traditional VLF detectors that enthusiasts have been using for decades.” –Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd.

The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors. Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions… just select your detecting location and go!

Came right off Minelabs own website. I also have a college education and no where do I read that it will obsolete fbs tech or machines that are capable of switching freq or running more than one freq at the same time.

Also on their website it states it is the most exciting new machine they have released since 2012 in the ctx. I happen to see this as truth as well because the only thing released was the go find series and I think the safari, which is a great machine that they took all the ways to mess up a FBs machine and made it where a non experienced detectorists can still have great results. I'm not including gold machines and they are not either on the website.

I have an equinox 800 on pre order myself . I have purchased almost every other machine released as I like to test machines. I go by what I read and not what overly excited peeps speculate. Nothing I post comes out of my backside only what I read from the companies own website.

I truly believe what they say, and only what they say. The posts I have made were because going through this thread peeps sounded like they were ready to unload their ctx's, etracs and other machines, I honestly feel like from what I read on minelabs own website and using their words only, that some peeps might end up regretting a hasty decision.

Not sure why you quoted me, I'm in agreement with you. My post was for those who pull percentages out of the dark place.

I will wait on the Equinox until hearing from all those people who just have to have the latest toys.

I think it will be an excellent, do-it-all (almost all), mid level machine at a reasonable price.

The Etrac/CTX are so good at depth and target id. it may take awhile to come up with anything significantly better. For example, other than being waterproof and some bells and whistles, the CTX wasn't a huge upgrade over the Etrac. They may be reaching the limit of what a detector can do. I hope not.

Back
Top Bottom