Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Elite Member

Default Colonial Coins and More...

I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM

Great finds! Even better that you can go back anytime!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

Those are some oldies,Congrats!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like a navy button, great hunt!

☆2-Shield~14-V's~12-Buff☆

Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick

Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick

I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! For all the copper colonial coins we find here, rarely do we ever find silver or gold, it's always copper...and often pretty toasted. Interestingly though, this year specifically I've found two Reale's...one in NJ, and the other at this farm, so it was a surprise among all the coppers.

The crazy thing is that the 1/2 Reale is incredible thin...much thinner than a modern dime, so at first when I hit it I thought it was a button, or some type of jewelry, but once I saw the inside rim markings and then the reverse of the coin, I knew instantly what it was...crazy.

Still hunting for that elusive first gold....(sigh).

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! .....
That is true. The most hard-core east coast hunters, who's fames we all know, will often have scores of colonial coppers, LC's, busts, reales, etc... Yet AT MOST might have *one* gold coin. Eh ?

Contrast that to the west coast, and if you were to pin down the top 10 most hardcore relic-type hunters, and you'd find that they have 2, 3, 5, 10, or more gold coins each. I even know some beginners who've bagged a gold coin over here, yet have scarcely found many seateds or whatever.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Supporter

I am green with envy as usual! Congrats on the amazing old coins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing those awesome finds and congrats on finding them and a place you have unlimited access to. I hope they keep coming for you!

Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Sponsor

Default Great finds

I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Elite Member

Awesome old finds! Congrats!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

Now that is some nice finds.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Awesome hunting spot you ended up acquiring there! I'm jealous!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Elite Member

I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.
Colonial sites can be really weird, this one was totally random and the coins were all found in about a 100 x 100 area, but scattered about. The remainder of the field has zilch for tones, so don't give up at an old site, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere, you just need to keep that coil swinging.

I found it was smarter to just follow the corn rows up and down, rather than just getting "coin fever" and walking randomly in circles swinging wherever. Going down the rows, if the corn is low enough, you can swing 3 rows at a time. I only when up and down the rows, not across - and we all know you can get no hits one way, and nail a target on a second pass the other way, so always be patient and take your time...also if it's that quiet, CRANK UP the SENS - you have nothing to lose and your chances of getting a faint hit are far better.

You guys have your share of some pretty amazing coins in Penn. seems like Bucks County is still loaded if you know where to go, so jealous.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

Colonial sites can be really weird, this one was totally random and the coins were all found in about a 100 x 100 area, but scattered about. The remainder of the field has zilch for tones, so don't give up at an old site, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere, you just need to keep that coil swinging.

I found it was smarter to just follow the corn rows up and down, rather than just getting "coin fever" and walking randomly in circles swinging wherever. Going down the rows, if the corn is low enough, you can swing 3 rows at a time. I only when up and down the rows, not across - and we all know you can get no hits one way, and nail a target on a second pass the other way, so always be patient and take your time...also if it's that quiet, CRANK UP the SENS - you have nothing to lose and your chances of getting a faint hit are far better.

You guys have your share of some pretty amazing coins in Penn. seems like Bucks County is still loaded if you know where to go, so jealous.
Don't be jealous of Pennsylvania, there might still be a few old coins here and there but there's also 5 bazillion people with detectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk