Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM
ollievon's Avatar
ollievon ollievon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 563
Default Colonial Coins and More...

I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???
Attached Images
           

__________________
2017: 1815 Spanish Reale, 1782 1/2 Reale, 1783 Nova Constellatio, 1757 King George II Farthing

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM
woodz71's Avatar
woodz71 woodz71 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Baker Co. FL
Posts: 165
Default

Great finds! Even better that you can go back anytime!

__________________
Garrett ACE 400, Pro Pointer AT
YTD 2017: CLAD- ($2.05)....just getting started.....

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 6,984
Default

Those are some oldies,Congrats!

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250.Minelab Sov Elite! Tesoro Compadre .oldest coin 1899 Barber half dollar. T Rex sand scoop.
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!Arrrr!
John 14:6

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:52 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Worcester County, MA
Posts: 7,556
Default

Sounds like a navy button, great hunt!

__________________
☆ML CTX 3030 2017☆
*W-368~IH-50~2CP-5~LC-7~HC-2*
•Silva-79~Ster-20~Halfs-4•
☆2-Shield~14-V's~12-Buff☆

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,331
Default

You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM
ollievon's Avatar
ollievon ollievon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 563
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
You east coast guys make me sick. Sick sick sick

I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! For all the copper colonial coins we find here, rarely do we ever find silver or gold, it's always copper...and often pretty toasted. Interestingly though, this year specifically I've found two Reale's...one in NJ, and the other at this farm, so it was a surprise among all the coppers.

The crazy thing is that the 1/2 Reale is incredible thin...much thinner than a modern dime, so at first when I hit it I thought it was a button, or some type of jewelry, but once I saw the inside rim markings and then the reverse of the coin, I knew instantly what it was...crazy.

Still hunting for that elusive first gold....(sigh).

__________________
2017: 1815 Spanish Reale, 1782 1/2 Reale, 1783 Nova Constellatio, 1757 King George II Farthing

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,331
Default

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
I get it! But man, when you flash those gold coins it makes me want to bang my head against the wall over on this coast, ha-ha! .....
That is true. The most hard-core east coast hunters, who's fames we all know, will often have scores of colonial coppers, LC's, busts, reales, etc... Yet AT MOST might have *one* gold coin. Eh ?

Contrast that to the west coast, and if you were to pin down the top 10 most hardcore relic-type hunters, and you'd find that they have 2, 3, 5, 10, or more gold coins each. I even know some beginners who've bagged a gold coin over here, yet have scarcely found many seateds or whatever.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM
jwp1964's Avatar
jwp1964 jwp1964 is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 7,626
Default

I am green with envy as usual! Congrats on the amazing old coins!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus, 2016 (2017): 66 (48) Silv, 566 (197) Wheats, 2 (1) V Nick, 13 (9) Buffs, 11 (5) IHC, 35 (15) Tokens 4 () Gold, 19 (14) Sterling, $ 176.47 ($209.84) clad
1807 Draped Bust Half Cent, 1866 Shield Nick

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 PM
MDLocal's Avatar
MDLocal MDLocal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 44
Default

Wow, thanks for sharing those awesome finds and congrats on finding them and a place you have unlimited access to. I hope they keep coming for you!

__________________
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Vibraprobe 560, Lesche Digger

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Patriot1776's Avatar
Patriot1776 Patriot1776 is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rockland Ma
Posts: 579
Default Great finds

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
I haven't posted lately and thought I would show you guys some good finds I made in this recent new farm permission I recently acquired. The farmer doubted I would find anything, but regardless told me to "knock myself out" and go anywhere I wanted any time, sweet!

The field boarded a small stream and from the old maps I did see I house had been there in 1862, but signs of it were gone and I figured it was worth a try, maybe I would find some Wheaties at best...boy was I surprised! Within the first 5 minutes and about 25 feet from where I parked I nailed a strong hit at 6" down...so I dug and out pops a nice green coin (although I was expecting a flat button since I've been skunked a zillion times thinking it was a coin, ha!), but low and behold...it was a copper, and a King George III!!!! My mind was blown and I was hooked for the rest of the morning as you would imagine.

Below are the hits I got that morning: 1845(Braided) Large Cent, 1827 (Matron) Large Cent, 1757 King George II farthing, 1787 King George III 1/2 penny, 1802 Draped Bust. I also hit a 1783 Nova Constellatio and a 1782 1/2 Reale...which I will post tomorrow.

Needless to say, I cleaned up that field, but there are more...I just know it and will be back. I only found 2 flat buttons (will post pictures of those tomorrow with the other coins), one button is small and oval shaped, it has an image of an anchor with a rope, any ideas of what it is out there???
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

__________________
MetalDetectors.com 866-749-9506
327 Union St. Rockland Ma 02370

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Vermonster's Avatar
Vermonster Vermonster is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,071
Default

Awesome old finds! Congrats!

__________________
2 V Nickels, 1 B. Nic, 3 IHP's, 10 Wheaties, 15 rings (1-Gold, 5-slvr), 4 Slvr coin (2 Seated Q's, 2 Morgans), Oldest: Mid-Late 1700s Chinese Cash Coin

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
dirtydog's Avatar
dirtydog dirtydog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Somewhere between the sand and the water
Posts: 5,227
Default

Now that is some nice finds.

__________________
CTX 3030

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 PM
Waveoff's Avatar
Waveoff Waveoff is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 64
Default

Awesome hunting spot you ended up acquiring there! I'm jealous!

__________________
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Vaquero
White's TRX pinpointer

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 07-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Wom 27's Avatar
Wom 27 Wom 27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Media,pa
Posts: 1,271
Default

I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.

__________________
AT PRO, 12 Large cents, 2 class rings,Nova ,, Barber Half, 1833 Hard Times token ,"American Digger",oldest-1719 half penny,1730's one Reale
The more I detect, the luckier I get !

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM
ollievon's Avatar
ollievon ollievon is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 563
Default

Originally Posted by Wom 27 View post
I got a recent permission to a property that dated to the 1600's. The existing building was built in the early 1700's. I spent 4 hours in terrible heat there on Saturday and not even a wheat ! At least now I know where all the coins went.....New York ! Good to know a fellow "Friendly" found them.
Colonial sites can be really weird, this one was totally random and the coins were all found in about a 100 x 100 area, but scattered about. The remainder of the field has zilch for tones, so don't give up at an old site, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere, you just need to keep that coil swinging.

I found it was smarter to just follow the corn rows up and down, rather than just getting "coin fever" and walking randomly in circles swinging wherever. Going down the rows, if the corn is low enough, you can swing 3 rows at a time. I only when up and down the rows, not across - and we all know you can get no hits one way, and nail a target on a second pass the other way, so always be patient and take your time...also if it's that quiet, CRANK UP the SENS - you have nothing to lose and your chances of getting a faint hit are far better.

You guys have your share of some pretty amazing coins in Penn. seems like Bucks County is still loaded if you know where to go, so jealous.

__________________
2017: 1815 Spanish Reale, 1782 1/2 Reale, 1783 Nova Constellatio, 1757 King George II Farthing

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 PM
FFX2's Avatar
FFX2 FFX2 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Elizabethtown,PA
Posts: 745
Default

Originally Posted by ollievon View post
Colonial sites can be really weird, this one was totally random and the coins were all found in about a 100 x 100 area, but scattered about. The remainder of the field has zilch for tones, so don't give up at an old site, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere, you just need to keep that coil swinging.

I found it was smarter to just follow the corn rows up and down, rather than just getting "coin fever" and walking randomly in circles swinging wherever. Going down the rows, if the corn is low enough, you can swing 3 rows at a time. I only when up and down the rows, not across - and we all know you can get no hits one way, and nail a target on a second pass the other way, so always be patient and take your time...also if it's that quiet, CRANK UP the SENS - you have nothing to lose and your chances of getting a faint hit are far better.

You guys have your share of some pretty amazing coins in Penn. seems like Bucks County is still loaded if you know where to go, so jealous.
Don't be jealous of Pennsylvania, there might still be a few old coins here and there but there's also 5 bazillion people with detectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.