I Need Prayers Please! 🙏

I learned something yesterday. The surgeon who did my lumpectomy is not a cancer surgeon just a general surgeon and apparently the Maury Regional Cancer Center is down on him and all the other surgeons in his department they didn't have good words for him. I won't discuss that here. They told me that the mastectomy was not the only option like he told me. So now I've totally completely switched over to their department and no surgery at this time. They are going to do radiation followed by a pill that I will have to take daily for five years and they tell me that doing this will have the same results as if I had had the total mastectomy with no radiation and taking the same pill. In other words my percentage of survival is near 100%.

The Maury Regional Cancer Center has a complete network of doctors not only medical oncologists and radiation oncologists they have plastic surgeons cancer surgeons cardiologists psychologists everything you can imagine. It is all self-contained whatever the patient needs is right there they do not need to go outside the center for other care. They deemed me extremely stressed and depressed and they are linking me up with one of their psychologists and counselors! Without going into too much detail they didn't have good words for my surgeon he caused me undue stress and anxiety and they are going to deal with that with their counselors. I will be going back on the 16th of December to go through the mapping, marking etc and then they're going to let me heal and recuperate until the first week of January at which time my radiation will start.

It's good to hear you are now being treated by a competent team of of medical professionals . Yesterday's news must have taken a lot of stress off of you . I wish you all the best and pray for your total recovery as many here are .

I learned something yesterday. The surgeon who did my lumpectomy is not a cancer surgeon just a general surgeon and apparently the Maury Regional Cancer Center is down on him and all the other surgeons in his department they didn't have good words for him. I won't discuss that here. They told me that the mastectomy was not the only option like he told me. So now I've totally completely switched over to their department and no surgery at this time. They are going to do radiation followed by a pill that I will have to take daily for five years and they tell me that doing this will have the same results as if I had had the total mastectomy with no radiation and taking the same pill. In other words my percentage of survival is near 100%.

The Maury Regional Cancer Center has a complete network of doctors not only medical oncologists and radiation oncologists they have plastic surgeons cancer surgeons cardiologists psychologists everything you can imagine. It is all self-contained whatever the patient needs is right there they do not need to go outside the center for other care. They deemed me extremely stressed and depressed and they are linking me up with one of their psychologists and counselors! Without going into too much detail they didn't have good words for my surgeon he caused me undue stress and anxiety and they are going to deal with that with their counselors. I will be going back on the 16th of December to go through the mapping, marking etc and then they're going to let me heal and recuperate until the first week of January at which time my radiation will start.

That must be such a relief Pennyfinder !!!! So glad you found out you had other options with the same excellent success rate, just shows there are times when it pays to get a second opinion !

I liken this to how MANY Eye Dr's will tell you that you are not a candidate for Lasix due to this or that. Yet when you go to a Lasix appointment they will tell you yes you are a candidate. If you think about it of you had Lasix then you would not need him anymore..

You mentioned your "Surgeon" well that is what he specializes in and is what he/she knows. I don't always think Dr's have your overall well being in mind..

Next Monday December 16. . .

I go for my "mapping and marking" in preparation to start my radiation. I will also receive my schedule for radiation. Tentatively, my radiation is supposed to start on January 6. I will have about 36 treatments. I am so dreading this - not so much the treatments themselves, but the daily driving 70 miles roundtrip! The American Cancer Society is supposed to have drivers for me each day. But if they can't find a driver on any given day then I will either have to drive it myself or take public transportation. Either way that can get pretty expensive! Drivers from the American Cancer Society don't charge. Public transportation charges $15 each trip. It depends on how many times I have to pick up the slack and drive it myself as to how much it will cost me in gas. I wonder if I will be up to driving everyday if I needed to but I'm not so sure about that health-wise. The cost of gas is one thing but me personally I don't know if I'll be up to it. And let's not forget the age of the truck 26 years old almost nearly 200,000 miles on it. That's going to put a lot of miles on it in that six or seven weeks (5 days a week).

I saw both medical oncologist and the radiation oncologist on the 4th of December this has been the longest wait it seems. I still have another week to go before this setup/preparation. That's worse than waiting like a child for Christmas which for me won't be much this year.

I just now saw this thread and read through the whole thing. It sounds like you have a good Doc now, so glad for that! My mother just went through a 4 week round of radiation daily and it went by a lot faster than we thought it would. We didn't have a long trip to get to it but even so, the driving took a lot longer than the appointments. The actual daily treatments were less than 5 minutes!

I'm keeping you in my prayers and hope you'll go through the process without many side effects. Some folks don't have any (my Mom didn't). I hope it will be the same for you!

I just now saw this thread and read through the whole thing. It sounds like you have a good Doc now, so glad for that! My mother just went through a 4 week round of radiation daily and it went by a lot faster than we thought it would. We didn't have a long trip to get to it but even so, the driving took a lot longer than the appointments. The actual daily treatments were less than 5 minutes!

I'm keeping you in my prayers and hope you'll go through the process without many side effects. Some folks don't have any (my Mom didn't). I hope it will be the same for you!

I went for my mapping and marking on the 16th as planned. The girls or technicians put marks all over me even in places they aren't going to do radiation. I'm not to use soap on the areas just rinse off and blot. DUMB! The radiation starts on the 6th but yet I'm supposed to go back on the 2nd and 3rd of January for the radiologist to see if the marks are in the right place so I've got two days wasted that I got to go back before the radiation. Why didn't the radiologist just do the marks to begin with so I wouldn't have to waste two more days going up there?

And I found out that I've got to waste the entire month of January and February - my last treatment will be on the 24th of February. Can't plan nothing can't go nowhere or do nothing - the next two months will be totally wasted.:mad:

The place is 35 miles away from me so that's 70 miles round-trip a good half hour to 45 minutes each way. My appointments are at 2:15 so that means I've got to leave home by 1:15 every single day to be sure I'm there on time. I didn't get no choice on the time they just do the schedule and you're stuck with it. :mad: They wouldn't let me schedule it here at the local hospital where it's just 10 minutes or less each way!

Fighting the bureaucracy that is our health care system can be just as tough as fighting the disease, but you really don't have much choice. You just have to put your faith in the staff having your best interest at heart and do what they say. They know what they're doing and why. It might not make sense to us, but it does to them. My prayers are with you. Stay strong and stay positive. and Merry Christmas.
Jim

The place is 35 miles away from me so that's 70 miles round-trip a good half hour to 45 minutes each way. My appointments are at 2:15 so that means I've got to leave home by 1:15 every single day to be sure I'm there on time. I didn't get no choice on the time they just do the schedule and you're stuck with it. :mad: They wouldn't let me schedule it here at the local hospital where it's just 10 minutes or less each way!

Yep, unfortunately for the medical folks it's just another day at work. I think sometimes they forget how the logistics impact their patients. Sometimes though they send you to a particular place because it's the best available. Hang in there and do the treatments as they schedule you, it will go faster than you think! I hope for the best possible outcome for you!

Yep, unfortunately for the medical folks it's just another day at work. I think sometimes they forget how the logistics impact their patients. Sometimes though they send you to a particular place because it's the best available. Hang in there and do the treatments as they schedule you, it will go faster than you think! I hope for the best possible outcome for you!

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom