Waterproof tablet or video player

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Okay so weird question... my 3yr old son has destroyed countless electronics with water. Lol

He wants a tablet of his own so he doesn’t have to use the iPad Pro (which he broke). I’m looking to see if I can find a tablet or something large enough that is built waterproof. I don’t want to add any fancy cases or anything like that.

We do not require it to be on a cell data plan. We need something that can be offline. We need to be able to load digital movies and stuff we have already on to it.

Any suggestions??

I did a search on Amazon as I am not personally familiar with waterproof tablets and there are ratings like IP65, IP67, IP68 for what a tablet is SUPPOSED to be able to handle.

Anyhow, it seems to get something that MIGHT actually be waterproof "as is" WITHOUT using a separate case you are likely looking at about $400 or more but maybe enough searching might find you something cheaper.

Here is a link to do some research -

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tablet+waterproof&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT automatically go by what the manufacturer says in their ad, scroll down to the question/answers section and type water in the search box, it should list some actual customer experiences as to if they had any problems with water (I read where at least one did have problems even though the product was listed as being waterproof or water resistant)

Some tablets seem like they MIGHT be okay if a little water gets splashed on them, but if you need one that can survive being dropped INTO water then do a LOT of searching reviews both on Amazon and elsewhere to be fairly confident before buying.

Bottom line is a truly waterproof tablet will likely be very costly if you want to avoid using a separate waterproof case. (and even then some of them might not be as waterproof as advertised)

EDIT TO ADD:

I almost thought I found an ideal inexpensive one -

Kindle Paperwhite – Now Waterproof with 2x the Storage

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-Paperwhite-Waterproof-Storage/dp/B07CXG6C9W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

…….but when I went to the questions/answers section and typed in movies (you mentioned needing to load movies)
and customers said no, you can't load movies onto it, you would need the Kindle Fire tablet (but the Kindle Fire is not waterproof)

Last edited:
Yeah. I see the Samsung items are supposed to be waterproof.

For what it’s worth I don’t care if it’s a used item either. Just hoping someone could say from their experiences. There are a lot of knock off items on amazon claiming to be waterproof but they have no reviews and are knock off items.

Maybe even an old phone with say a 6” screen or something might work as long as I don’t need service for it to boot and stuff.

Tech these days! Lol

Not saying whether to buy from Amazon or not (we have gotten good stuff from them though) but use them at least for initial research of possibilities.

Here is a link showing their unlocked waterproof phones 5.5 inches and above -

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=waterproof+phone&i=mobile&rh=n%3A2335752011%2Cn%3A7072561011%2Cn%3A2407749011%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A6215731011&dc&qid=1574710591&rnid=2335753011&ref=sr_nr_n_1

Also reading a tech site found more info on IP ratings -

IP What? What those IP ratings actually mean

When we talk about waterproof hardware, we often refer to an IP rating. This stands for Ingress Protection, and is usually followed by a number, which refers to its ability to withstand water and dust. The first digit relates to solid particle protection and the second digit to liquid.

All the phones on our list meet IP67 or IP68 standards. IP numbers that start with a six mean the device features complete protection from dust, and will ward off particles to the extent where none can find its way in. It’s the highest rating currently available, and is considered “dust tight.”

To meet the IPx8 standard, the device must continue to function normally after being left in water “continuously,” although the exact details are usually down to the manufacturer. For example, Samsung says the Galaxy S9 “can be immersed in 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.” Drop that down to an IP67 rating, and the depth changes to a meter, and protection is only for a short time.

Here’s a complete breakdown ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code ) of what all the IP codes mean, if you want to check out other ratings. It’s worth pointing out that while we call these phones waterproof, they remain so for a limited amount of time at best, and are technically water resistant. In other words, we don’t advise you to deliberately submerge any of them, especially not for very long, but it’s still nice not to have to worry if an accident happens.

The above is quoted from:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-waterproof-phones/

Yeah. Those are nice for sure but way out of the price range. Lol it would be nice to have one like that I can use around our property. Be nice to have when I’m out felling trees and cutting firewood. Or out on tractors rain/snow.

I know you said you didn't want a case, but I think your best option would be possibly an otter box. I have a 7 year old girl and a 3 year old boy, and so far the only protection I can find for tablets, is in fact, the cases. Let me know if you find anything better!

Back
Top Bottom