For the love of junk...

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
Since I barely have time to breathe let alone detect, I figured I'd pick up a "little" project for my "spare time"....:D

'72 C10. 307/TH350. 2 Barrel Rottenchester. All original parts and pieces except the tailgate, the bitchin' slots, (which are spectacular I may add) and the poorly cut out and attached massive cowl.... How bout that multi-layer onion peel primer/paint combo?:yes:

Fresh out of the barn. 81K miles. Been sitting since 1987 and was moved in 2015 to a different barn. Checked the fluids and drove it 150 miles home yesterday like a Roadkill episode.:laughing:

Attachments

• 72 edited.jpg
    72 edited.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 72 onion.jpg
    72 onion.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 364
Congrats on the new project !

Hey, if you enjoy doing restoration work, then it really don't feel like "work" :lol:

That's great that it's sitting since 1987 and still drove 150 miles with no problems, maybe the owners knew to at least start it up every so often to keep the engine lubricated.

We'll be looking for those "after" pics later on ! :lol:

Maybe it will look similar to this restoration I just found online at - https://www.restoreamusclecar.com/vehicles/226/1972-chevy-c10

72_C10_restored.jpg

That's one beautiful ride right there GKL! Yeah, they started it a couple times a year. All the fluids were pretty bad once I got to draining and replacing them today. I'll be posting some progress pics. Won't be doing anything as nice as the one you posted right off, but maybe on of these wallets, er days I guess...:D

Finding these trucks is getting pretty difficult for sure GeneralQuarters! I still can't believe I found a "driver" for the price I did. The combination of smoke, pine needles, mouse turds and thin mold layer on the front made for some interesting looks on interstate 69 at 70 MPH!:laughing:

How very cool! Keep us updated and take a lot of pics as you go through the process...Very Very cool...!!!!

Thanks Mud. Here's a few of the sanding I finally made myself stop on at 2AM...Really a solid truck under all that redneckery and lizard skin primer...:laughing:

Attachments

• sanding1.jpg
    sanding1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
  • sanding2.jpg
    sanding2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 313
  • sanding3.jpg
    sanding3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 293
Epic truck adventure

So I bought a 350 C.I. engine and TH400 transmission off my brother a while ago, but haven't went to pick it up yet. Today was the day! Instead of taking my newer GMC with AC and everything, My brother and I decided I'd pick him up at 8 in the morning in the "72, (an hour and a half from my house), go to Terre Haute from there and get an engine hoist and stand at HF, then come back to his place and pull them from the low mileage '78 that some "lady" hit for him...:no:

We passed a ton of old rods coming back north from the Frog Follies so lots of thumbs up from and to both sides of the highway :aok:

After sitting all those years, the old girl drove over 4 and a half hours, pulled the 3/4 ton out of his yard, pushed it under his carport, did a massive smokey burn out on his street :D, hauled everything and didn't miss a beat!:yes: It was 90 degrees and stifling humidity.

I'll be building a 383 stroker and the TH400 soon for the beast.

Almost done sanding. Just the passenger bedside and the tailgate. About time to weld up A BUNCH of trim holes...:shock:

Attachments

• driverbedside.jpg
    driverbedside.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 249
  • loaded down.jpg
    loaded down.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 263
  • extraction.jpg
    extraction.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 249
  • squaredonor.jpg
    squaredonor.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 245
  • fronts.jpg
    fronts.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 246
Windshield day!

Finally got the correct molding for the windshield and had the local glass shop pop in the new glass. I do all my work, but for what they charged, there's no reason for me to learn to do something I won't need to do again...Sooo much better! I can see! :lookclose:

Lowering springs and shocks should be here by the weekend. New rotors, ceramic pads, wheel cylinders and everything went on yesterday.

Attachments

• windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 226
Gonna keep up posting the progress with the old truck here.

My helper and I went and jumped in the truck and drove 380 miles each way from home to Summit Racing in Tallmadge Ohio to pick up a crate engine and new transmission over the weekend! :D

It rained non-stop and the wipers on the old girl only work when they feel like it. We were hammer down just pointing the hood scoop between the reflectors hoping for the best on 71N in Ohio. The tired old 307 was ticking lifters and begging for more at 75-80 MPH around 2 AM. :shock:

Summit has a heck of an operation there. Picked up a Blueprint engines 355 with 10:1 compression and Aluminum heads rated at 375 HP. When I got the dynomometer sheet, it shows 421HP at 5800 RPM and over 400lb/ft or torque from 2500 all the way up to 5400! I got a good one! The transmission is a TCI Super Streetfighter rated for up to 775 HP with an accompanying 2400 stall converter.

We had a great time hunting up some heavy metal and ran into a lot of people interested in the truck. Love it or hate it, it's an eye-catcher for sure!

I have a few short videos on YT viewable with a link from me only, so if anyone is inerested, PM me.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• aluminum heads.jpg
    aluminum heads.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Christmas.jpg
    Christmas.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 217
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Other C10.jpg
    Other C10.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 212
  • SuperStreetFighter.jpg
    SuperStreetFighter.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 175
  • C10 and Blazer.jpg
    C10 and Blazer.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 197
Lots of new stuff!!

So I finally got the new engine/transmission combo in the truck. The brand new Holley 4150 750cfm carb I bought came damaged in shipping so I stole the 600cfm 4160 model off the '84 S10 Blazer (Which I finally sold!), and broke in the cam in the new engine. The replacement carb showed up a couple days later and is looking sweet with no choke horn and manual secondaries!

The new power plant fired right up and has about 150 miles left of the 500 mile break-in period. I've been driving the wheels off it! :D

Had to get the rear another 1.5" lower to make the truck look right and in the process broke a 1/2" drive breaker bar AND a front tooth!! :no: Thing hit me harder than I've been hit in the face for decades.

Oh well, at least we got the stance right...:cool:

Scored a newly black leather and ostrich insert upholstered seat on Craigslist for a steal! Saved me lots of time and money repairing the stinking carcass of a seat that was in the old girl. Black seat belts, carpet and dash pad coming soon.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• extra 1.5 inch.jpg
    extra 1.5 inch.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 119
  • toof.jpg
    toof.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 191
  • broken breaker.jpg
    broken breaker.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 165
  • new carb on.jpg