• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

what do you take with you

JEBar

being new to using a metal detector and after reading extensively on this and a couple of other forums I have come to wonder what items folks take with them ... between bags for trash, various digging tools, pin point detectors and mention of a host of other items, the visualization of Batman comes to mind :wow: ... advise and recommendations from the experienced folks here would be highly appreciated

Jim

Haha... :yes: I take my detector, digging tool, and a hand towel to lay my dirt on and wipe my hands, I plan on getting an apron of sorts and a pinpointer.

It depends on what type of ground you will do. I do mostly sand at tot lots / beaches. I use a homemade sifting box, a large feed scoop, and one of those cheap nail aprons. I like to work quickly.

I was planning on asking this same question being new myself. One thing that was recommended to me and has worked really well is a channel lock cutter (the kind that cuts nails), which makes quick work of those root nests when they get in the way.

I have a Garrett bag, modified screwdriver for a probe, Lesche digging tool, Teknetics pinpointer, small hand saw for roots and a towel.

This is a list of what I take.

Gatorade
Energy bars (Clif, Nature Valley, etc)
First aid Kit (already in my truck)
cell phone (fully charged)
GPS
Detectors & bag
Waist pack & digger.

Hope it helps

Detector
Digging tool
Usually a jacket (to use the pockets)
Probably add somekind of small back pack and I will need to take the pinpointer cuz recently I have had problems locating a few targets.

What I take usually depends on the location.

I modified a tool pouch w/belt that holds my diggers and my finds. It has a metal loop (for a hammer) that I use to hold my small Army mattock for the tough digs. I also take along bottled water, crackers, trash bags for the canslaw, paper towels, gloves and most importantly my gel filled knee pads. Don't laugh, the aging process can be very cruel! :lol:

i don't like wearing gloves, so i keep a jug of water in my truck to wash my hands when i get through digging. i'll also use it to wash my finds if i can't wait till i get back home to see what i found. :yes:

dfxrus said:
most importantly my gel filled knee pads. Don't laugh, the aging process can be very cruel! :lol:

well understood :yes: ... I have a set ordered that should be available for me to pick up tomorrow

Jim

I too have been looking for a Batman Utility belt. I carry a plastic trash bag for kneeling/sitting on wet sand, a scoop, a strainer/sifter, my trowel, a new shovel/pick that Ganunhub got me for Valentine's Day, treasure pouch, and of course my MD. I haven't figured out how to carry it all yet. I am probably the silliest most encumbered MD-er you have ever seen. Lugging all this stuff around. I just need to get a little wagon and hook it to my belt to tow it behind me as I detect. :roll:

Don't forget the all import insect repellent (in the summer anyway). I won't go in the deer tick and EEE and W Nile virus mosquito infested woods around here without it. Other than that, when going on an all day wooded area type all day hunt, the detector, digging tool, a good hunting knife, finds/trash pouch, and a small backpack with the cell, a few bottles of water and some snacks, and a small foldable shovel similar to a military entrenching tool. The pack and shovel come in handy for digging and carrying out old bottles when we strike them!

I really appreciate the recommendations given above, many (if not most) of them hadn't crossed my mind ... with such things as a bottle of water, insect repellant, trash bags, paper towels, I can see the wisdom of a small back pack in addition to a waist pack ... I can also see the wisdom of only taking what you need for the given circumstances under which you will be operating

Jim

I have learned that a packpack is a nice way to carry all the above mentioned. I do a lot of woods and carry a trenching shovel and my detector. Water,GPS,smaller digging tools (leshe),probes,insect spray,couple rags,small hoodie (or should I say Large lol ),and one real important item that no one has mentioned. Remember I go into some deep woods,usually for hours, so TOILET PAPER can be a necessity. Some food is good too. Crackers, vienna sausage, etc. I wear a nail pouch when I get to where I am detecting. Hope this helps, Happy Hunting all.

PS...... Weather about to hot for woods as I type this. We get water moccasins, rattlesnakes, and other critters I don't want to deal with this time of year. Oh yea, I carry a snake bite kit also.

early_americana said:
I was planning on asking this same question being new myself. One thing that was recommended to me and has worked really well is a channel lock cutter (the kind that cuts nails), which makes quick work of those root nests when they get in the way.
I found this pruner to work really well for me, cuts roots as big as my finger. Just keep the fingers out of the way
handpruners.jpg

New pouch

Went to Lowes and was looking a pouch for around the house and saw this one, and thought it would make a good MD'ing pouch. I think it will work out good. It has 4 pockets. 1st pocket- glove, 2nd pruner and digger, 3rd knee pad, 4th towel. and room for trash and treasure
I cut the hammer holders off, that you can see in the before pic. added a couple rivits in the center of the second pocket, to separate the digger and hand pruner, and keep them up straight, took the threads out of the center punch holder to allow my pin pointer to go all the way in. Put a locking pin like you would use for a receiver on a trailer hitch so I can hook a tether to it from my sand scoop so I can drag it, frees up my smoking hand, Whew, thats a lot to say just about a pouch. But not bad for around $10. I hope it works as good as I think it will.
pouchbefore.jpg

pouchafter.jpg

Lots of good info here.
When hunting in populated areas I take along a large plastic jug with a screw on lid.
When Mother nature calls I open the door on the truck for cover and use the jug to relieve myself.

Back
Top Bottom