Tesoro silver W/out a readout screen?

Good question

I am also thinking of getting this machine. I was kind of wondering about that myself since I am trying to upgrade from a Bounty Hunter with no readout, But I have gotten responses that praise the Tesoro as being a top of the line detector.

I don't really know, as every machine I've ever used has a screen. But I would assume it has to do with the tone, both in type and volume. Louder, solid tones, shallow, whispers, deaper :?:

It's a very basic machine but it works very well. You don't know how deep the target is. And you don't really know what it is. But the discrimination is very good, so if you've got pull-tabs discriminated-out, you'll be digging a coin, a flattened screw-top, a large hunk of flattened can, or something silver. Coins have a very distinct sound. And, all things being equal, the weaker the signal sounds, the deeper it will be.

I owned my Umax Silver for a year before I acutally used it. Couldn't get past that no display issue. (My other machines have displays.) But once you get used to it, you don't miss the display at all.

Unless I'm in a very trashy area, I set my discrimination between iron and foil. When I start getting tired, when I find a target, I'll turn the discrimination up slowly to see where the target drops-out. If it looks like a pull-tab, I leave it. Then I back the discrimination back down again.

If you like displays, get a machine with a display - you'll be happier. But not constantly looking at the display seems to make life easier for me. (Can't trust what my displays (on my other machines) tell me anyway.)

Analog hunting is my bag. Single tone is my bag.

Not for everyone. But I think it's great.

I can tell depth with little problem.

A deeper target is a weaker tone.

But it's not that simple.

A lot of practice goes into this.

You have to concider that big targets have more
response in a way. You need to understand that
to judge depth.

So you also have to ID the size and material to
know what to expect from the response to judge
depth.

This all takes practice and I could go on for ever.

Lifting your coil is very important in this ID process.

It may sound complicated but I can ID a target fast.

TID's are too slow for me, and not reliable.

My gold jewelry hunting success has a lot to do with
speed. It takes a good 300 targets before I find gold
in a good site. That is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of easy
digging for me. That's in tot lots and the like. Dirt
hunting is much slower.

Just my way. I'm stuck on analog hunting.

Happy Hunting,

Some work on volume. I don't have a screen or modulated volume, knowing my usual max depth, I just rais my coil until I lose the signal. That gets me within an inch or two.

From what I've learned, most detectors are calibrated to guess the depth based on a coin sized object. It's faster to have a screen read out, but not necessary.

As mentioned the uMax is a single tone machine however the key difference is in the way the beeps sounds (quick beep, quick tick, slow rise then fall). It is hard to describe in words the way different items sound different but after some time you should be able to tell the difference between a Zinc Penny, copper penny, dime, quarter. Experience with using the machine is the best method for understanding the sounds.

At the end of the day the question is always: to dig? or not too dig? when hearing/seeing a signal. Do you trust yourself more in the way a signal sounds? or do you trust a machines TID more?

In the past I've seen posts where people have recommended covering the display and just listening while you swing. (I forget what the reason was - maybe it helps you learn the sounds your machine makes - I don't really remember why.) But if you never change your discrimination, it might be something to try. At first it will be frustrating and you'll keep looking at the covered display. After a few hours or days you'll either be into it or totally insane.

I've been listening to my Silver for about 60 hours this year. I'm still learning a lot. And that rotary discrimination dial is real easy to turn with the edge of your thumb - and with about 1 target out of 50 I do look down and turn that dial as I swing to see where that target drops-out - or how the sound changes at least. It's real quick and easy to use.

If I ever buy another machine with a display, I'll get one that uses numbers to indicate what is in the ground. Both of my displays (on my other machines) use a cursor which jumps around the screen pointing at dimes and quarters and pull-tabs and foil..... Not real accurate. I imagine the numbers can jump around too - but they seem a little more accurate to me anyway.

I have a Detector Pro Wader on the way...no display either. I know that it will be a new learning experience...just gotta practice.

The MXT with VCO and a display is great, but I've learned most of the mystery sounds of coins...deep, shallow, etc. Foil is easy. I think I could do a pretty good job with the display covered up anyway, but why limit the amount of data available?

Some work on volume. I don't have a screen or modulated volume, knowing my usual max depth, I just raise my coil until I lose the signal. That gets me within an inch or two.

From what I've learned, most detectors are calibrated to guess the depth based on a coin sized object. It's faster to have a screen read out, but not necessary.[/QUOTE When you raise the coil until you lose the signal, {for example, you're 5 inches off the ground at loss of signal}does that tell you the target is 5 inches deep at that point?

Some work on volume. I don't have a screen or modulated volume, knowing my usual max depth, I just raise my coil until I lose the signal. That gets me within an inch or two.

From what I've learned, most detectors are calibrated to guess the depth based on a coin sized object. It's faster to have a screen read out, but not necessary.[/QUOTE When you raise the coil until you lose the signal, {for example, you're 5 inches off the ground at loss of signal}does that tell you the target is 5 inches deep at that point?

I think it would depend upon how deep the machine goes. Say a machines' max depth is 7 inches. You raise the coil 5 inches high and the signal goes away. I would assume the target is 2 inches deep. (Unless it's a pop-can.) Kind of a cool technique. I don't use it, but maybe I should try it.

Many of the more seasoned MD'rs detect mainly by sound... if they pay attention to the screen at all, it is to evaluate the VDI numbers. Too many different items, due to size, material, position etc may duplicate the image a machine puts on the screen.... RickO

I know my detector has a coin depth of about 4-7", so signal loss at 5" above the ground would put the target in the top inch of soil. Signal loss at 2" above the ground puts the target at about 4" below the surface.

From what I've learned, most detectors are calibrated to guess the depth based on a coin sized object. It's faster to have a screen read out, but not necessary.
When you raise the coil until you lose the signal, {for example, you're 5 inches off the ground at loss of signal}does that tell you the target is 5 inches deep at that point?

The fun of detector selection. :)

I was looking at the Tesoro silver u max. How do you determine depth,type of find etc. without a screen:?: I'm looking to buy my first detector. I also have the minelab Terra 30 in mind. Thanx .
.. One thing to keep in mind with the two you mentioned (Tesoro Silver µMAX and Minelab X-Terra 30) is that they both rely on a fixed Ground Balance. The Silver µMAX can be tweaked internally, if you want to or know how to, but the X-Terra 30 is not adjustable. If the ground mineral environment is much above 'average' (whatever that is) it will not work well and can false annoyingly.

You're looking at models in a lower-end price range and if that's where your budget limits your shopping, then you have to take what you can get. There are several makes and models in a similar price range that can provide you with visual Target ID, such as White's Prizm series and Garrett's Ace 250.

As for the merits of visual Target ID, it can be useful, but it can't be trusted. It can give good info, but it can fool you. The good that can come from having TID is that in some applications, for some people, it can add a little bit of 'fun' by suggesting something exciting. It can help provide an idea of what to be looking for in the way of coins during a recovery. It can lend a hand in making a 'dig/no-dig' decision.

My XLT has visual Target ID. My modified IDX Pro has visual Target ID. My Bandido II µMAX doesn't. I like them all for what they are and I don't expect more from them, or any detector I have or use, that what they can do given the types of site environments I am hunting.

As an example, I went hunting with some friends during this past few weeks and we all made some good finds. They were using White's XLT, Classic ID, Classic 5-ID and Explorer II and I had my three units. Some of the finds we made include a 1906 Barber 10¢ at about 4" that didn't give a consistent, typical TID read-out on Chris's Explorer II that you would expect. No other targets nearby, it was just very dry ground. I watched as he recovered a silver '60 Roosevelt 10¢ a little while later from about 5"± that also gave a visual and audio indication that it was possibly something like a modern zinc cent or an older Indian Head cent.

At an old resort site Chris used his Classic 5-ID when he found another Barber 10¢, and that was only about 3" or so deep. They had removed a sidewalk and it was in the disturbed dirt along the side where the sidewalk used to be. The visual TID jumped back and forth and didn't lock on even though the 10¢ was so shallow, but upon recovery it was found to be co-located with a rusty old bottle cap.

I got an 1898 Barber 10¢ on the surface of the ground where they were doing some renovation and spread around some old dirt. It didn't however, respond as a silver 10¢, but more like a zinc-to-copper 1¢ would. The reason? Nearby trash, just under the coin a bit, that masked the signal somewhat.

At the same site I have recovered about 8-10 wheaties and only half of them 'read' like they should. The others caused a very jumpy TID and the VDI numbers averaged well below a coin and more closer to a pry-tab.

At a site where they tore down an old school I did get a 'proper' TID response from a Mercury 10¢, and the same with an 1892-o Barber 10¢ I got on Tuesday. The Merc. was laying flat in about 1" or leveled dirt with nothing anywhere near it to mask the signal. The Barber 10¢ I nabbed when I spotted quite a few mole mounds in a shaded tree area at an old park where once stood an amusement park. It was in maybe 1"-2" of loose dirt the critter burrowed up for me. :)

Many of the better coins I have found during this long dry summer did not produce a TID that would be considered 'lab perfect.' Chris did dig a nice 25¢ reading that turned out to be a good-sized sterling silver ring, and my 50¢ reading on Tuesday was another fib. Not even a coin at all, just a heavy Tiffany & Co. sterling bracelet.

Target ID can be useful, but there are too many copy-cat targets out there for Target ID to be 100% accurate. It's much less than that. Add to that ground condition issues and nearby masking trash and accurate TID is only perhaps 15% to 25% right.

I have TID, and I sometimes glance at it for a mental note of what I might be looking for during recovery, but if you fall into the rut of relying on visual TID for make the call, you're going to leave a lot of good and interesting targets behind for others to find.

Coin depth reading is sometimes useful, but it's really a rough guess sort of thing, also.

I always suggest that a newcomer give consideration to some of the mid-priced models rather than start with a low-end unit. Not that low-end units can't make good finds, but because they usually offer better quality, some better features, and good coil selections.

A suggestion, if you don't mind, would be a White's M6 (if you're shopping for a new detector and not used), because it is easy to use, has good depth, features auto-tracking to establish and maintain a good working ground balance, a nice full-range variable discriminate control, and a good Target ID display w/coin depth read-out.

In the end, it is the audio response that we ought to listen FOR and then listen TO in order to gain info about a potential target identity or classification. I have long relied on, and touted the merits of, a "Beep-DIG!" approach to successful detecting. A model without a display can work fine. Having a little extra info is simply a bonus to help. Just try not to get hooked. :)

Monte

Monte,
I was a little overwhealmed by the wall-o-red when I first saw your post, and so didn't read it my first few times back to this thread. Seeing Mostro's reply, I was intrigued.

Thank you in deed. Your description of the response and targetting of the different high end models not only makes me think I can do ok with my entry level detector for a while longer, but makes me think I might go back and dig some more of those "foil" targets to see what's really down there.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Monte,
I was a little overwhealmed by the wall-o-red when I first saw your post, and so didn't read it my first few times back to this thread. Seeing Mostro's reply, I was intrigued.

Thank you in deed. Your description of the response and targetting of the different high end models not only makes me think I can do ok with my entry level detector for a while longer, but makes me think I might go back and dig some more of those "foil" targets to see what's really down there.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

I really had to read it a few times , but the more I did, the more I picked up!!!

Just for funsies:

I have to agree wholeheartedly. Now here is a thing I do w/my Silver umax on trashy places and when I just don't have much time-and it's fun and NICE to know. Take several tabs (make sure they are in the tab ID area and not the square ones that register as a nickle) and thumb your disc knob to the point where the majority of these "break up" Make sure this is really noticeable and not just a "click" sound. Also, make sure you don't have jewelry on your scanning hand when performing the test. MARK this spot on your detector facing-it's the only marking you need. Now, hunt just BELOW nickles. When you get a signal, thumb up to this mark-and it's only a short distance from just below nickles. If the signal goes silent, it's in the nickel range. If it breaks up, it's in the tab range. And if it stays, it's in the coin range. Fun to play with.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom