Capped bust silver finally checked off the list!

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, been awhile, life has been busy. Haven't hunted much at all lately due to scheduling conflicts, hot temperatures, bugs, and laziness :laughing: these finds are from a few different short hunts. Been waiting for something particularly special to post about, I would say this fits the bill perfectly :yes: yesterday I had about an hour to hunt before I had to be home so the wife could go to work. So I went to a place close to home that has coughed up numerous colonial era relics and my only 2 reale. Also to note, that's really the ONLY descent coin to come from this field, not a single copper, wheat, injun, modern silver, or anything like that has come from this site. I think I might have found a clad Jefferson nickel there once, but overall, 99% relics and one Spanish 2 reale :laughing: but its a fun, local spot to hunt and i always seem to go home with at least SOMETHING. 2nd target in, is a 6-8" bouncy high 80's low 90's signal on the AT Gold. I was thinking silver quarter, maybe even half, but I certainly wasn't expecting what came out pf the hole. A very nice 1821 capped bust dime, my first, and new oldest US silver, beating out my 1849 half dime, which ironically was exactly 1 year ago yesterday! The round ball object is interesting. Not sure what it's composition is, but its certainly not lead. Appears to have almost a sprue on it too :?: I'm going with a homemade silver bullet :lol: it looks like the metal that most old bells are made of (not brass or copper-maybe tombac?), cant remember the name of it at the moment though :roll: I won't be cleaning that coin any further, I know it would look really nice cleaned up, but no way I would ever scrub a capped bust coin, especially after 8 years of looking for one. Also hunted a park today in the pouring rain with Bob a semi new member here, and came away with 2 wheats and a nice little .925 girls ring. Hope to be getting together again soon man, hope you cleaned up after I left! Not sure when ill be out again, hoping for Sunday, it will be at a drawn down river that I scored the 1837 large cent pictured above. Lots of fishing gear and trash, but also lots of old glass and the largie so I'm hopeful there's more. Until next time, good luck out there, and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 0723192112_Film4.jpg
    0723192112_Film4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 616
  • 0723192114a_Film4.jpg
    0723192114a_Film4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 576
  • 0723192113a_Film4.jpg
    0723192113a_Film4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 582
  • 0723192114_Film4.jpg
    0723192114_Film4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 0723192115a_Film4.jpg
    0723192115a_Film4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 555
  • 0723192116_Film4.jpg
    0723192116_Film4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 572
Congrats Jeff on a real Bucketlister recovery. Last year I dug my first and only Capped Bust Dime and yours is in much better condition. Don't see a lot of them posted here so you can be very proud, A great Coin. Trapper

Wow, that looks better in those photos for sure. That’s a bucket lister for me but I think I’ll work on a seated anything first. I didn’t find much after you left and went home with that one injin and a wheatie but had a great time. I probably weighed 40 lbs more than usual due to being soaked to the bone. Talk to you soon

Well it’s official....you SUCK!:lol: A Capped Silver is number 1 on my BL, but it’ll be a miracle if I see it around here. Beautiful dime Jeff, you should be over the moon.

A major ATTABOY for that one Jeff. Awesome save. Congrats. The LC and ring are pretty sweet as well. I'm still looking for my first seated. HH Mark

Holy moly, major congrats! Thay is something im unlikely to find here in CA, but still on my list. Closest ive gotten is an 1842 seated dime.

Back
Top Bottom