go-find 20 observations...

gunwolf

Elite Member
went to a friends house yesterday not to detect but to visit. He has a 10 yr. old so I took the Go-find 20 and let him use it...I discriminated out Iron, I gave him the crash course and set him off on his way while we sat and shared a few cold ones.
after about an hour he came over with about 20 nails and a few zincs... he said the nails were ringing in the highest coin Icon/tone.. so I took it for a spin.. yep... nails come in at the high end like a coin you think it should be something good... if you do not discriminate the iron it at least gives you a low tone with the high tone...enough to drive a beginner batty!
also this thing is so cheaply made, I felt like I was using something made by fisher-price. I would say for the money get a ace 150 or other starter MD... this Go-find series is a joke.
I feel if you had the Go-find 60 with the bigger coil and you swing to much the MD might snap in half. what was Minelab thinking? glad I didn't pay a cent for this thing.:roll:

Did you end up giving it to the kid? Actually, that might not be a good idea either because it probably would steer him away from the hobby.

Sounds like it should be named "Go Find a new MD "
I do like the portable concept for travel , like the old pocket fisherman !
HH

Did you end up giving it to the kid? Actually, that might not be a good idea either because it probably would steer him away from the hobby.

NO but I thought about it...:lol:that's exactly what I was think... at least with the ace 150 my son had a beginners MD and it peaked his interest. this machine is enough to confuse a child, and even an adult starting out.

went to a friends house yesterday not to detect but to visit. He has a 10 yr. old so I took the Go-find 20 and let him use it...I discriminated out Iron, I gave him the crash course and set him off on his way while we sat and shared a few cold ones.
after about an hour he came over with about 20 nails and a few zincs... he said the nails were ringing in the highest coin Icon/tone.. so I took it for a spin.. yep... nails come in at the high end like a coin you think it should be something good... if you do not discriminate the iron it at least gives you a low tone with the high tone...enough to drive a beginner batty!
also this thing is so cheaply made, I felt like I was using something made by fisher-price. I would say for the money get a ace 150 or other starter MD... this Go-find series is a joke.
I feel if you had the Go-find 60 with the bigger coil and you swing to much the MD might snap in half. what was Minelab thinking? glad I didn't pay a cent for this thing.:roll:
You mean your etrac doesnt get fooled by nails sometimes?

You mean your etrac doesnt get fooled by nails sometimes?
yes it does... :lol: I'll be the first to admit that one! but with the E-trac it's my option on what to dig based on a few different things... I understand the Go-find series is an entry level detector, but come on... I started on a Ace 250, when it said 25cents..it wasn't a nail. and although yellow and looked like a toy.. it didn't feel like one. the above OP is just my observation, others may buy it and love it.

Was just curious because I dug a few last week at an old house site that kept fooling me on my etrac. Some sounded great and passed the size test etc but turned out to be dang nails lol

What if the kid found the nail but left the silver dime behind that you n I would have investigated further? What if his pinpointing was off?

Most kids are just excited to dig metal...they're not as picky as you and I. I know my 6 yr old daughter gets more excited than anyone when she hears a beep. She says "what's it gon be?":lol:

Most detectors get fooled by a round nail head occasionally... but I agree that for more experienced detectorists the go finds might better serve as an all metal backpack scouting detector

Was just curious because I dug a few last week at an old house site that kept fooling me on my etrac. Some sounded great and passed the size test etc but turned out to be dang nails lol

What if the kid found the nail but left the silver dime behind that you n I would have investigated further? What if his pinpointing was off?

Most kids are just excited to dig metal...they're not as picky as you and I. I know my 6 yr old daughter gets more excited than anyone when she hears a beep. She says "what's it gon be?":lol:

Most detectors get fooled by a round nail head occasionally... but I agree that for more experienced detectorists the go finds might better serve as an all metal backpack scouting detector
well said! I agree!

In my opinion the entire line is nothing but junk, If kids can't swing a real detector then they are too young to go detecting. They don't dig proper holes. When I started detecting I was swinging a Whites blue box with both hands. Hey I feel the same way about T-Ball. If you can't pitch or hit a pitched ball then you are too young to play baseball. T-Ball is horrible to watch and just an abomination created by goofy parents that need to see their kids compete.

What was Minelab thinking?

In my opinion the entire line is nothing but junk, If kids can't swing a real detector then they are too young to go detecting. They don't dig proper holes. When I started detecting I was swinging a Whites blue box with both hands. Hey I feel the same way about T-Ball. If you can't pitch or hit a pitched ball then you are too young to play baseball. T-Ball is horrible to watch and just an abomination created by goofy parents that need to see their kids compete.

What was Minelab thinking?

What were they thinking? They have cornered the market in the high priced division and wanted to corner the lower end market... its greed... when I saw the video's of them I held my nose :D

To bad.

I was looking at buying a go-find to carry around on my motorcycle.

I love the folding concept, but pretty much all the reviews are like yours.

Guess I will hold off.

Like others I like the foldable design also. But ultimately decided against getting one because of the bad reviews like this one. Glad I didn't make the jump.

Totally agree. I almost bought one for a trip to Coasta Rica because it would fold up and fit into my suitcase but after reading more I realized it was an overpriced toy. I have an xTerra 705, Sovereign and Etrac and I hope Minelab is embarrassed with this product.
Ended up taking my Sand Shark and glad I did. Found a gorgeous 14K white gold ring with 9 diamonds within 5 minutes of hitting the beach. Doubt the GoFind would have produced.

Maybe we should start agitating for more foldable detectors! My problem is... anywhere I go, I have to WALK. That means carry my finds bag in one hand, my detector in one hand and my mobility cane in one hand, and I need a hand free to hit the pedestrian button on the traffic light...

Uh...

It woud be so WONDERFUL to have a detector that would fold down to fit INTO my finds bag which is pretty capacious)

Anyone else like the concept of a foldable detector?

SageGrouse

Back
Top Bottom