At pro issues, any ideas?

jameys18

I've has my Garrett for a while now but I've only logged about 15 hours with it. So you can imagine my anger when it's not working after my brother drove an hour down here to go detecting.

The detector would power on and seem fine except for no pings. My machine us normally chattery so I know something's up. I drop a penny and dime to test. It's ready both as low 40's and barely picking up at all. Sometimes not reading at all. I thought it was my coil so we drove home and I switched out the coils with the stock one which was brand new. It's working good then same thing happens again!

I went to make sure i has it plugged in good and it started chattering. Seems like there is a loose connection to the plug inside the machine. Has anyone else had an issue with this? For the price of this machine, the little use, and fact that this detector isn't getting thrown around I'm upset that it's probably going to cost me money to get fixed when it shouldn't be having issues like this.

Not to mention all the !!!! I gotta hear niw about how my brothers 250 is a better machine haha

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by saying check the batteries or tighten all connections but hopefully it is still under warranty. Garrett is pretty fast in turnaround.

Sent from my detector via iPhone

Garrett is awesome regarding customer service. Give them a call. A fully functional ARP vs a 250? No contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would triple check the connections. In the event someone was human at the garret manufacturing company and made an error they are very fast to fix the problem. It's almost in-human and un- capitalistic how fast they are about replacing their defecrive products.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had an ace 250 and 350 bite the dust right after I bought them. I think the AT Pro also had a bad serial # run. But it's tougher when a CTX goes down if that makes you feel any better. Gold luck hunting Jax. One of the hardest places to detect on the planet for old stuff:lol:

Two things.

1. Check for any bent prongs at the plugin.
2. try new batteries.

that's what I would do and then do a reset every time you switch coils. It used to be in the manual but apparently not now. The AtP does seem to do a little bit of calibration to the coil on a reset.

That being said, won't fix this issue if it is indeed an internal connection problem.

I would triple check the connections. In the event someone was human at the garret manufacturing company and made an error they are very fast to fix the problem. It's almost in-human and un- capitalistic how fast they are about replacing their defecrive products.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Practice makes perfect...

I can't think of any company I've ever had to deal with, that has been so quick and easy, painless. I was never put on hold, or transferred. I think they know there are problems, and use them to boost image, through customer service/satisfaction, rather than actually fixing the flaws. I bought a ProPointer, which falsed a little, few months after purchase, tried everything I could think of, tips off the forum, just continued to get worse, and more frequent. After only 7 months, the falsing was pretty much constant, couldn't rely on it. Made the call, less than 2 weeks later, had a replacement. Unfortunately, 6 months later, it was useless, like the first. Never sent it back, may open it up some day, and see if I can find the flaw. It's not the customer service, or paying the postage, but think getting a third unit, which developed the same issue, would really be upsetting to me. Kind of an expensive lottery ticket, for a top shelf piece of equipment. I could understand, except, my Centech pinpointer going bad (almost 5 years, still going strong), but one of the best, and twice...

Unfortunately, you learned the hard way that you MUST carry a back-up detector. You CAN'T be put in a position where you finally are able to find the the time in your busy life to get together with your brother and drive an hour to detect and have your detector malfunction and ruin your day. This is one of the reasons I always suggest that new detectorists purchase a quality entry level american made machine to start with. In the event that they have the passion for our hobby, they can upgrade in a relatively short period of time and will have a quality back-up machine to carry. You can still have a great day detecting with your back-up detector if you have an issue with your primary detector. :yes:

yeah you always hear Garrett customer service is great ; and it is (so are other detector companies) the problem is you need to use it all too often ..my ATP was back twice in the first year I owned it for problems similar to what you are experiencing. And each time you send it back its gone for 2 weeks and you pay for the return postage. If the obvious things mentioned don't work send it back because you have no other choice.

Change batteries or coil do a reset. That doesn't help think about interference, wifi, cell phones, underground utilities, cell towers and power lines to name a few. Check connections and loose coil cable down shaft. GL. HH. Tom
If that doesn't help call Garrett. You shouldnt have to pay to send in a Defective unit

Yea I thought the same thing as you guys. Did multiple hard resets, switched coils, swapped batteries, pretty much everything short of dowsing it with chicken blood and praying to the voodoo gods. Pins are atraight too.

What worries me is it not being constant. I had en excal ii that went south and wouldn't read a coin over 3 inches away and would just randomly ping off making it damn near impossible to use because I'd spend all my time rescanning ghost signals. sent it in, cost me an arm and a leg and it did the same thing when I got it back. Hopefully this experience will be better.

Speaking if pro pointers mine started falsing that day as well, with a brand new battery. I could just hold it in the air and it'd go off. I knocked it on the ground and thought I killed it but came back on after a few mins.

This was def not my day to say the least. I'll post after resolved to let you all know the true culprit.

Oh and scout, I don't think interference would be an issue because the 250 worked fine. I even tried changing the freq on mine to no avail.

I'd definitely call Garrett. Mine had bad coil when first got it and they sent me new one with slip for free shipping for the bad one. Raise some he!! If you have to pay to ship it back GL. Tom

Garrett is awesome regarding customer service. Give them a call. A fully functional ARP vs a 250? No contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 , call the experts , good intentions here , the fix is with Garrett
HH

Back
Top Bottom