New to detecting.

ShaneD

Hello all,
I'm new to metal detecting. I went to a beach that seemed to just chatter no matter what I did. I'm using a Garrett AT Pro and I did ground balance and kept messing with sensitivity and discrimination.
Any tips or are some beaches just a real pain? One beach I went to was quiet except for legit targets.

Just keep at it...figure it out...on that one chatty beach try a factory reset on your machine...that really seems to help!
Mud

In this Sport, to be running optimal, Ya just gotta get the 'feel' for it..That takes infield practice and paying attention...its tribal knowledge thats best learned in field...Every site is different and changes constantly due to a multiple of variables...In a lot of ways, setting up or adjusting a detector is akin to how a construction guy sets the PSI on an air compressor.

You run it too hot and you are countersinking too deep, not enough and you are not getting it right either...Taking into all sorts of miniscule considerations along the way, making adjustments, or compensating in some form to get by and work it optimally...

So yeah, think Air compressor...got all sorts of power to spare if thats whats needed, but getting the settings right for the job site might require backing off to half power sometimes...Just thought I'd throw this out there, dont know if it helps or makes any sense...so its hard to tell a guy the absolute correct settings on any given day at any given area...

We start in basic familiar ones, and adjust from there according to the sub strata we encounter..run full power from the gitgo and risk blowing that nail right through the shingle and down through the 7/16 soft wood OSB to rattle around in the attic!.. :laughing: Most people make the mistake of running powerful gear too hot, or showing up with a weak, undersized and underpowered compressor and wondering what they can do about it...
Mud

Welcome ShaneD! I don't know much about the AT Pro but I do know that some beaches are a real pain! In my area some beaches are so highly mineralized that I can't hardly use a couple of my detectors without giving up all my depth. Now throw in a "trashy" beach with highly mineralized sand and we are really in for a workout! :yes:

Welcome from Buffalo New York , great advice above , Adjusting your setting to a known target in some areas may help . I often do it when I first get to a new spot . HH

Hello all,
I'm new to metal detecting. I went to a beach that seemed to just chatter no matter what I did. I'm using a Garrett AT Pro and I did ground balance and kept messing with sensitivity and discrimination.
Any tips or are some beaches just a real pain? One beach I went to was quiet except for legit targets.

WELCOME!

The ATP is one of the leading single frequency VLF machines, so you are off to a good start, but keep in mind ocean beaches have salt, which is conductive. Try hunting in the dry area first. Bury your own test targets, scan them and it get it going so you know what beeps and chirps are an actual target. Then try the testing again in the wet sand.

Different parts of the ocean coast line have varying levels of mineral deposits, ie black sand and such, which also play havoc. In Florida, there are white sand beaches in the gulf that an ATP will work great (even in the water), but then on the atlantic side there a huge mineral deposits that make it a challeng for higher end multi-frequency machines and even PI's.

Keep at, practice and youtube videos will help.

I can not believe someone took advantage of you and sold you a MD. You must first do your research there is nothing to be found. All beach's and parks have been cleaned only thing left is pull tabs and bottle caps your late to the party. :D

Welcome to the forum good luck out there

Welcome to the forums! I also use a AT Pro on salt water beaches (like I have a choice) and as previously mentioned some beaches give a lot of chatter while others are quiet. It takes me about 6 months to learn a new machine and all it little quirks and nuances. Patience and persistence are the key. You'll get there just keep at it. I've found a lot of bling in the damp/dry sands using the ATP and sure you will as well.

Yea, I'm hunting salt water. One I hunted on was nearly black sand and I couldn't even get a proper ground balance. I had to run very low sensitivity.

Sometimes it seems it pings me when it sees salt water under the sand. My pin pointer goes off everywhere in the hole just on the water.

It seems some of the most accurate advice I've gotten was only mess with clear repeatable tones. Right now I'm digging everything just to learn. I've already gotten good and knowing bottle caps when I hear them.

I'm getting better. I've watched lots of content for months before I bought my detector. I hope all this beach experience will translate well when I go hunting for Civil War relics soon.

Black Sand you say? That explains everything! We have it up here on the Fresh too...Here on the shores of Lake Michigan...its some sort of magnetized black sand...skews the signals most damnably! Confusing to any single freak rig...so yeah...dig it all, do not trust to hear 'solid' signals...You gotta go a bit slower on your coil swing too...master the black sand if you can...look for it even, on account of its protecting what you seek from the others that cant or wont take the time to figure it out...hunt it...a nickel wont sound like a nickel...in the black sand, all signals are fair game...
Mud

Attachments

• blow2.jpg
    blow2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 230
  • black s.jpg
    black s.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 232
  • apr2715-3.jpg
    apr2715-3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 215
Back