etrac small coil advice

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Getting closer to buying my etrac, yeah! Anyway, many spots i hunt are extremely trashy, like you can look down and count half a dozen bottlecaps in a square foot. I am very used to going slow with my xterra 705 in spots like this, it's just time for an upgrade. I will be buying an etrac and am thinking of buying a nel sharpshooter right off the bat.
Opinions on the nel sharpshooter for the etrac?

Getting closer to buying my etrac, yeah! Anyway, many spots i hunt are extremely trashy, like you can look down and count half a dozen bottlecaps in a square foot. I am very used to going slow with my xterra 705 in spots like this, it's just time for an upgrade. I will be buying an etrac and am thinking of buying a nel sharpshooter right off the bat.
Opinions on the nel sharpshooter for the etrac?

We have a like new in box, charger, 2 battery packs we'll ship to you for $750 and we'll personally warranty for 1 year if interested. Add NEW sharphooter for it $135....total $885 if interested....

Thanks for the offer but i am still, hopefully, fingers crossed, about 30 days out from being able to purchase. I will have to go to the US when i buy, so just trying to buy everything I might need at once...

Hope you get that Etrac soon! I love mine.

I don't have any experience with the NEL Sharpshooter, but I do have some small coils for mine. I have the Sunray X-5 coil (its tiny!) and a Detech SEF 8X6, I vastly prefer the SEF coil. I think it separates just as well as the X-5 and it covers more ground. Both are plenty deep for their size, deeper than expected.

Good luck!

I have two Etracs and if you look at my Signature you will see my Coils. Never used the NEL Sharpshooter but Coiltek made the original coils for Minelab, therefore they know all the secrets of the Etrac. I hate the Stock Coil myself and much prefer the Coiltek Coils. If I had to get rid of all of them and just use one Coil it would be the Coiltek Joey 10X5. Be advised changing Coils on an Etrac is not easy like other Detectors. If you look at the Minelab Forums you will even see a section for Coiltek Coils they work hand in hand with Minelab. The Coiltek Joey and the NEL Sharpshooter are the same size I believe and if you saw all the Coins I dug today using the Joey, there would be no question. In Trashy areas using the small coil remember there are a few tricks to the Etrac that will amaze you. I am going to post this in a new thread here in just a minute.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2666722#post2666722

Last edited:
Thanks, just read your post! Where I am depth is not the major concern, it's all about disc, bedrock is very close on most of my sites. If something is 6 inches deep here it is in a crack on bedrock. I am just looking for the best seperation in highly contaminate sites. To give you and idea, in the average swing there could be 10 targets, and I am looking for very specific targets and nothing else.

Thanks, just read your post! Where I am depth is not the major concern, it's all about disc, bedrock is very close on most of my sites. If something is 6 inches deep here it is in a crack on bedrock. I am just looking for the best seperation in highly contaminate sites. To give you and idea, in the average swing there could be 10 targets, and I am looking for very specific targets and nothing else.

Coiltek Joey is the Coil for you. Be sure not to jack up that Sensitivity to high. Remember also a target that is 4" deep over two inches of grass requires a Detector to pick it up at 6".

I don't have any personal experience with the E-trac, but I'm very happy with my small NEL coil on my AT Pro. NEL coils are hard to beat, in my opinion.

Get the NEL Sharpshooter, you won't regret it!

I got the NEL Sharpshooter for mine when I got the E-Trac and the Sharpshooter is on the detector probably 50% of the time with the even smaller EQ2 taking maybe 40% of the remainder. My stock coil (while it is great in clean open areas) sees very little use of late as I hunt highly trashed sites. I get great depth on some really small targets (.17 cal bullet at 7 inches OK for you?) and on coins I pulled a clad quarter at 9 inches. We have soft sandy soil here so targets sink fast.

This video will give you some idea of the separation it can give you...

And this one kinda says it all in the title...

Good luck on your decision, but my vote is for getting the Sharpshooter.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the offer but i am still, hopefully, fingers crossed, about 30 days out from being able to purchase. I will have to go to the US when i buy, so just trying to buy everything I might need at once...

Just holler at us we may still have it then :)

Thanks for the videos Robby, my suspicions have been confirmed...

No Problem "Z", happy to help out. Subscribe and "LIKE" for me if you haven't already please.

Here's another vid that you might be interested in too, since you'll have an E-Trac...

One added bonus, the NEL coils cost a bit less than the Coiltek also. :gettinmoney:

I just got the sef 8x6 for my etrac and I am in love. I dont know if I will even put the stock coil back on for a long time. Lately all I have been hunting is trash fairgrounds so a small coil will help a ton

Back
Top Bottom