Anyone have a St. Gaudens?

NMsilver

Elite Member
Hi everyone,

Last weekend I found a deal I couldn't pass up at a local coin shop, a 1928 St. Gaudens $20 in MS66 ! :shock:

I bought it for quite a bit below list price.

Of course, being an avid detectorist, I checked the VDI on both my Safari and AT Gold.

Does anyone else have one they've scanned or are willing to scan and reply with the results?

I'm a bit surprised by my results- 38 on the safari and 81 on the AT Gold.
My $5 liberty gives 29 and 65 respectively.

I know the size will bring up the number, but I didn't think it would be this much.

I wonder what that would look like on an Etrac? It major sucks that gold sounds like aluminum and other trash depending on K, weight and size. But at least gold coins should ring up about the same everytime.

Some guy up here found a 1887 $10 gold coin Friday night that hits a 76 on the At Pro...So that squares with your numbers...

He was running a Deus, got it 2" down...He is of course ecstatic!
Mud

Is there a foil/holographic tag inside the holder that may be messing with the numbers a little? Just a thought that popped into my admittedly small mind...:twisted:

Is there a foil/holographic tag inside the holder that may be messing with the numbers a little? Just a thought that popped into my admittedly small mind...:twisted:

Good point.
Yes there is one. The signal was not as solid as I expected.
The tag must have been causing that.
I hadn't thought of it, thanks!

Some guy up here found a 1887 $10 gold coin Friday night that hits a 76 on the At Pro...So that squares with your numbers...

He was running a Deus, got it 2" down...He is of course ecstatic!
Mud

Wow, that's a dream find!

Yes the 76 fits right between the numbers for my $5liberty and the $20 Gaudens.

Good to know, thanks.

When I buy gold coins, I buy in AU grade, then I can get it at spot or right next to it.
Unless it is a very rare coin in the grade, (to me) MS isn't worth the extra.
I gotta say, a MS 66 at that price is good.
What Mint???
Considering a NGC slabbed MS 66 St. G. went for 4g's this year, you have one hell of a deal..

It is slabbed right?
Cause if it isn't, then the grade is whatever anyone thinks it is. and sellers always grade higher then they are.

Back
Top Bottom