Will this work to clean my coins?

shinythings

I found one of these for sale... I know nothing about cleaning coins... Is this considered a tumbler? Is it a good deal at 30 bucks? They say its brand new.

Attachments

• 01717_93grxtq9Fm1_600x450.jpg
    01717_93grxtq9Fm1_600x450.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 377
I found one of these for sale... I know nothing about cleaning coins... Is this considered a tumbler? Is it a good deal at 30 bucks? They say its brand new.

Just learned its from Harbor Freight 93252. So it sells for 52 dollars... But will this really work for cleaning my pennies, dimes, quarters etc that I am finding?

Look into the dual tumbler from HF. I use one side for pennies and the other side for all other coins.

Look into the dual tumbler from HF. I use one side for pennies and the other side for all other coins.

Same here!

Don't mix the copper with the clad. :shock:

The tumbler style drums work better then the vibrator style, but if the price is right, you could also flip it if you're aren't getting good results.

Same here!

Don't mix the copper with the clad. :shock:

The tumbler style drums work better then the vibrator style, but if the price is right, you could also flip it if you're aren't getting good results.

Ill just look at the dual tumbler one... its a good deal, but i dont want to mess with it if its not what I need.

I have a vibratory tumbler like that and it will not clean crusty coins. It will shine the snot out of coins that have been cleaned of all crust with the right media. I lost a wheat penny in mine for an unknown number of cycles and found it when I changed my media, WOW that thing was blinding! I tumble in the harbor freight tumbler, separating copper from shiny stuff.

IMO, if a coin is worth the effort to clean it, it is worth what it costs to have it cleaned professionally.
I do have a double container tumbler I use for bling jewelry, but coins of value to a collector would be damaged through use in it.
Oftimes the patina and mint marks are what separates a collectable coin from a cool coin, and improper cleaning will certainly destroy either or both
My clad goes to the coin exchange machine in the Credit Union so being glittering clean isn't a issue.
Instead I put the coins into a coffee container lid, add squirt of liquid Tide clothes soap, a couple drops of bleach and some water and let them set over night.
A quick rinse and they are ready for the coin exchange machine, and the $32.50 plus tax I'd spend for the HF vibrator goes into the gas tank and battery compartment of my AT Pro.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Attachments

• coin wash 1.jpg
    coin wash 1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom