tools of the trade?

P

pharmer

What types of tools does everyone find the most helpful? Where can I see a catalog or are most of the best tools homemade? Thanks.

By tools do you mean digging or just tools in general? I just use a regular garden trowel for digging and a rock hammer when the ground gets really tough. A pinpointer of course and a serated blade for cutting plugs/roots.

I guess both general tools and for digging. Is there something that you find helpful that is between a screwdriver and a trowel? Digging a narrow hole once you get good at pinpointing but maybe a screwdriver won't handle.

As far as general tools- what do you never leave home without?

I use a screwdriver-probe for popping out shallow coins down 3", leche or hunting knife to cut plugs, a small hand shovel, a vibe prob for checking the inside of the hole and a key hole saw when I get around large roots.

For now, I use the normal (cheap) garden trowel that I have been using for years. Also a ten inch brass probe, hunting knife for cutting roots, and a Bullseye II probe. I am gonna get the Leche tool this spring though. It has had some real good reviews.

tools

I use a White's digging tool with one side that is serrated; a White's coin probe, and a White's Bullseye II Pinpointer. Also, I've ordered from Kellycodetectors.com a Krylar stainless steel short scoop for wet or dry sand, and a Gator Plugmaster for pulling out a long plug of ground/grass without making a big hole or mess. I'm waiting to get those two items.
The White's products can be ordered from White'smetaldetectors.com.
Needless to say, I have a White's Prizm III detector. If you have a Hobbyland near you, you can usually get the White's products from there, or they'll order them for you and charge you NO shipping charge.

This is my gear I always bring.
Gear.JPG

Minelab Explorer Pro ll
Koss headphones (standard)
*8 AA backup batteries
*Garmin Rino GPS
Pouch with belt
Leather gloves and * rubber gloves
Knee pads
Serrated small shovel
*Sheet rock saw
*Pruning shears
Gerber multi tool
*Custom Army entrenching tool

* note I do not bring these to the park.

All that fits on my belt. And away we go!!!

Indeed Jeff, very nice. You should sell that as package online.

I typically travel very light, with just a pinpointer, 5 in 1 tool and mechanix gloves in addition to the detector.
I have a little leather pouch attached to my detector for storing finds [or I just stick em in my pocket], and if its a trashy area maybe I'll bring along something to put the trash in until it can be disposed of properly.
I do have various spades, small shovels and other impliements handy in my truck in case I need them - And I even made up a tool belt with various quick-release latches and pouches ect, but I have yet to use it.
One idea I saw here last year was a couple people were using large frisbees to use for putting the dirt excavated out of holes until the object is found and the dirt put back in [makes for much neater digging].
Havn't tried that one yet, but I think I will do it this year.

I used to carry my pinpointer in my pouch, but it kinda got in the way. I went to the local ski shop and got some of the plastic clips that the ski poles come from the factory with. They usually just throw these away after purchasing the ski poles. I found a new use for them. :D I had posted this on the old forum, but thought it might be good to do it here for the newer folks.

Last edited:
Here is a closeup of the clip. BTW, these are usually free for the asking. :yes:

Last edited:
I find that a standard 12" digging trowel and a knife work just find in most conditions :yes:

epi-hunter said:
If there's a nail I'll step on it, if there's a blade I'll slice myself open with it, etc. etc. I only allow myself one hospitalization a year related to detecting, I used mine last year and it's too early to use this year's. :lol:

You may need to add body armor to your detecting arsenal, epi. ;)

Talk about armor, I remember reading about some good gloves - flexible, comfortable, and able to protect against broken glass and such. Anyone else knows anything about it?

Angel

OK Hoser....now that's a good idea. We see the Sunray probes with clips to hold the probe onto the shaft and I never thought of doing it for the hand held. Just goes to show you the intelligence of the people on this forum.
THANKS for the great idea.

epi-hunter said:
Jesse, I am with you. I carry the detector, pinpointer, and one tool. I have lots of other stuff with me if needed but I don't carry it.

I remember reading about the frisbee idea and liked it (except for having to carry around a frisbee.... ) But I would think that dumping dirt into a hole from a frisbee wouldn't be all that efficient? (get stuck in the rim, pour out over too big an area, etc.)

My thought would be to drill a small hole at the edge of the frisbee, and attach a tether and quick release latch on to it so that it can just be clipped on a belt/loop/pocket or what have you.
I think it would be very efficient, but would only have the capacity for small/medium sized holes, as a larger one would obviously quickly over-fill it - And yes, to a degree you would have to be careful to channel the dirt properly back into the hole, which you would need to do, I suppose, with any containment device.

Alot of the hunting I do is at places where very neat digging isn't all that necessary. Construction sites, over-grown lots ect.
But I think they would come in handy for yards, ball fields and other places where you want as little evidence of digging as possible .. And on the plus side, you'll always be ready for a game of frisby, should the need arise.

epi-hunter said:
I remember reading about the frisbee idea and liked it (except for having to carry around a frisbee.... ) But I would think that dumping dirt into a hole from a frisbee wouldn't be all that efficient? (get stuck in the rim, pour out over too big an area, etc.)

Cut about a two or three inch section of the rim out. It'll form a pour spout.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was thinking of what I could get for my wife to help with digging, cutting, etc. I may try to find her a trowel with a serated edge or just sharpen one myself with the grinder. I don't want to get her belt too heavy though or she may end up with a plumber's moon. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom