New Detecting Spot

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
Hello To All,
I was all psyched up this morning because I was hiking back almost 2 miles to detect old stone foundations of buildings built in the early 1800's. It was cold and windy but I was anxious to get to this spot. I walked down an old railroad bed part of the way and then into the wooded site. There were at least 10 old stone foundations. I can't believe I didn't find one thing worthwhile. I dug a lot of trash and some was even good high signals but no coins or artifacts. I was very disappointed. I don't seem to have the best of luck with old sites ??? I came back and went to one of my good clad sites and dug $2.18 in clads. A few nickels and mostly dimes. At least I didn't get skunked.
Bubbaron Nox 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer

I don't know how many times I've said this place has got to be good only to be a bust.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Yep, a spot looks promising, great even, bound to be something worthwhile in there, but no, junk and tiny bits of stuff that sets your machine off and you can't find it...

Ask me how I know :)

Yep this is very common in my experience. I have found more and also found some of my best finds in places I assumed would either be hunted out or did not expect much to be there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We're past peak detecting. 1970's and 80's everyone was detecting. If you're finding a spot today, it's likely been hit before, not to mention all the sites being built and paved over.

Don't believe it?

Go read a NOX post, they only work on beat-to-death/pounded sites :p

Bubbaron I do believe we all have been in a place just like this, and it is very disappointing to say the least. You just know there has to be good finds there only to be let down big time. I feel your pain my friend.;):yes:

With today's new Md equipment I would think these 70 and 80s spots would still be worth while.

Don't forget the 4-5 decades which have passed since. They've been hunted again.

Finding a virgin site (containing a good amount of good finds) is rare. I know it happens because I've done it, but it's not the norm.

Yep, a spot looks promising, great even, bound to be something worthwhile in there, but no, junk and tiny bits of stuff that sets your machine off and you can't find it...

Ask me how I know :)

I thought this only happened to me,....I do feel a little better now lol.

Don't forget the 4-5 decades which have passed since. They've been hunted again.

Finding a virgin site (containing a good amount of good finds) is rare. I know it happens because I've done it, but it's not the norm.

I think sometimes it must be a regional thing,...I'm not saying its easy to get permissions on awesome sites but as far as lots of people doing it,...it never has been around here.

I think sometimes it must be a regional thing,...I'm not saying its easy to get permissions on awesome sites but as far as lots of people doing it,...it never has been around here.

Could be, but how would you know?

Agree, permissions are harder to come by these days, just the way society's headed. Trust no one.

One search found 8 MD Clubs in KY:

http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/club.cfm?st=KY

And I'm sure there were more decades ago. People had seeded hunts regularly, and made them social events (going back to the fact people were friendlier back then, and had actual social interactions as opposed to internet).

Keep in mind too, lots of those old structures were still standing back then, making them much easier to locate.

Grandparents were still living, who were born late 1800's/ early 1900's, who were a wealth of information. My grandad was born in late 1890's, and my dad in 1920's, as an example.

Could be, but how would you know?

Agree, permissions are harder to come by these days, just the way society's headed. Trust no one.

One search found 8 MD Clubs in KY:

http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/club.cfm?st=KY

And I'm sure there were more decades ago. People had seeded hunts regularly, and made them social events (going back to the fact people were friendlier back then, and had actual social interactions as opposed to internet).

Keep in mind too, lots of those old structures were still standing back then, making them much easier to locate.

Grandparents were still living, who were born late 1800's/ early 1900's, who were a wealth of information. My grandad was born in late 1890's, and my dad in 1920's, as an example.

Just going by in my lifetime (I'm 43) I have never seen anyone doing this going down the road/ never had a friend or family member mention it/never run into one at a friends house and said "hey whats that" / that type of thing,....now deer hunting,..well you cant sling a dead cat around here without hittin one.

I am almost positive the site I mentioned was never detected. Like everyone says on here, you never clean out a site completely. I really have no competition in my area so I doubt it was ever detected. Oh well, maybe I will try again sometime. I'm going back to a fairground tomorrow and get my pound of clads and lick my wounds. HH everyone

I’ve had so many promising sites be a bust. Long forgotten ball fields with few if any targets. But that’s detecting. Next thing you know you will land a hot spot that kicks out the goods, I promise you that!

Yep this is very common in my experience. I have found more and also found some of my best finds in places I assumed would either be hunted out or did not expect much to be there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

+1

With today's new Md equipment I would think these 70 and 80s spots would still be worth while.

unless you are from eastern NC where everyone used Nautilus metal detectors, even back then they made the deepest machines in decent soil ever made. Hunting where my uncles and grandfather hunted in the eighties with today's best machines rarely ever produces any left overs.

Even though you didn't kill it today keep that spot on your list, there is more there for sure, no one ever gets it all...

Back
Top Bottom