detecting raw copper question

t.e.witt

We go camping in Michigans copper country and detect for raw copper. I have an AT pro and new to using it. Is there any way to tell if it is a big piece of copper or small piece before wasting time digging a little piece? We get lots of hits but we prefer digging only the bigger pieces.

Just spiralling, as I only have the Ace 250. But, when I get a hit, I pinpoint the target, and that gives me a rough idea of the size of the object.

Didn't help so much with the crushed can the other day. That sucker rang out.

Once the target is located,continue to sweep over the target as you progressively lift the coil higher and higher. The further off the ground you can swing the coil and still get a response,the larger the target.

... Is there any way to tell if it is a big piece of copper or small piece before wasting time digging a little piece? We get lots of hits but we prefer digging only the bigger pieces.

There's no "raw copper float" in our part of the USA. But just taking a stab at your question in general : How big can the bigger pieces get ? Eg.: domino sized ? fist sized ? soda can sized ? etc.... If there is enough of them that start to border on the size of a playing card (from a deck of cards, like Ace of spades) : Then how about using a 2-box machine, like a TM 808 ?

They will not see all the nuisance smaller items. About the utmost smallest item it will detect is: A domino or silver dollar sized object, if you held them "just right", and super tuned it, holding close to the ground. But realistically deck-of-card sized, or soda can sized, or larger. If there's enough of those sized items to angle for, and you are growing weary of the coin and pebble sized copper, then perhaps this is an option.

Some people might say you can tell big vs. small by just going by your audio strength and sound. There's a bit of truth in that. But at the end of the day, it will wear you down. Because you'll perpetually be asking yourself: "What if this small beep is actually a big copper piece, that just happens to be very deep, such that it simply *sounds* small ?" And you'll find yourself perpetually digging a bunch "just to make sure".

Contact yooper69, he's a member on here. Great guy to talk to. He does a lot of cooper hunting up that way. He may be able to give you some tips.

Its very easy to find nickle a quarter size pieces of raw copper. One swipe with the detector and you will get several hits. Its like pull tabs in a park there are so many of them. I get tired digging small ones, I want the bigger base ball size hunks. I'll try contacting yopper69 or try lifting the detector higher off the ground once and see how that works.

We go camping in Michigans copper country and detect for raw copper. I have an AT pro and new to using it. Is there any way to tell if it is a big piece of copper or small piece before wasting time digging a little piece? We get lots of hits but we prefer digging only the bigger pieces.

I’m not familiar with your machine but if you have pin point mode it will definitely give you a good enough idea to dig it or not. I’m not sure what kind of depth your going to get with all hot rocks and heavy mineralization. Just send me a pm when your going to be up this way I will make sure you go home with your biggest ever.

I detect for copper in the U.P. A 4 pound lump the size of your fist will give a reading of 99. Digging the high 80's and 90's should cut down on the little pieces.

I detect for copper in the U.P. A 4 pound lump the size of your fist will give a reading of 99. Digging the high 80's and 90's should cut down on the little pieces.

Now that "4 lbs" and "baseball size" comes into the picture : Then yes: a 2 box machine will pick those up, while effortlessly leaving behind the nickel-size nuisance pieces. No need to 2nd guess big vs small, TID's, etc...

CW-searcher: Have you ever tried a 2-box for this (like a TM 808) instead of a standard machine ?

Now that "4 lbs" and "baseball size" comes into the picture : Then yes: a 2 box machine will pick those up, while effortlessly leaving behind the nickel-size nuisance pieces. No need to 2nd guess big vs small, TID's, etc...

CW-searcher: Have you ever tried a 2-box for this (like a TM 808) instead of a standard machine ?
I have few friends that have a two box and they sit in the closet and collect dust. My old whites 5900 di pro beats them everytime. On the big and small .

CW-searcher: Have you ever tried a 2-box for this (like a TM 808) instead of a standard machine ?[/QUOTE said:
No I have not tried a 2 box machine. One would be good for the big copper and meteorites.

I’m not familiar with your machine but if you have pin point mode it will definitely give you a good enough idea to dig it or not. I’m not sure what kind of depth your going to get with all hot rocks and heavy mineralization. Just send me a pm when your going to be up this way I will make sure you go home with your biggest ever.

Thanks Upper69, I'll do that. It won't be until this fall. I assume your in the Keweenaw area. Roughly where at? We will be camping north of Mclain state park.

There's no "raw copper float" in our part of the USA. But just taking a stab at your question in general : How big can the bigger pieces get ? Eg.: domino sized ? fist sized ? soda can sized ? etc.... If there is enough of them that start to border on the size of a playing card (from a deck of cards, like Ace of spades) : Then how about using a 2-box machine, like a TM 808 ?

They will not see all the nuisance smaller items. About the utmost smallest item it will detect is: A domino or silver dollar sized object, if you held them "just right", and super tuned it, holding close to the ground. But realistically deck-of-card sized, or soda can sized, or larger. If there's enough of those sized items to angle for, and you are growing weary of the coin and pebble sized copper, then perhaps this is an option.

Some people might say you can tell big vs. small by just going by your audio strength and sound. There's a bit of truth in that. But at the end of the day, it will wear you down. Because you'll perpetually be asking yourself: "What if this small beep is actually a big copper piece, that just happens to be very deep, such that it simply *sounds* small ?" And you'll find yourself perpetually digging a bunch "just to make sure".

Tom,

There was a 17 ton chunk in lake Superior.

https://www.lakesuperior.com/the-lake/natural-world/241feature/

So they can get quite big!

E7271DA3-46CD-4802-B494-44FC78B5D022.jpeg. 28 tons

Back
Top Bottom