detecting raw copper question

we took the tour at the Quincy mine and the tour guide said there is a huge hunk of copper at the bottom of the mine (under water) that is the size of a school bus. He said they never got it out because back in the day they didn't have any way to do it or cut it up. Not sure how true the story is but he's sticking too it.

He also said there is 85 miles (maybe it was 185 miles) of horizonal tunnels in the mine. The main downward (vertical) shaft is 9100+ feet. Almost all of the tunnels are all filled with water now. I may be wrong, if someone wants to correct me, please do.

Correction: The school bus size copper weighed 300 tons and took them 13 months to get it out of the mine. Here is the video of the tour. They talk about the school bus copper at 2 mins and 20 secs.

https://mynorth.com/2008/08/video-t...les-underground-in-michigans-upper-peninsula/

Last edited:
Serious question; what happened with that 28 ton float? Where the folks who found it able to claim it, or did some agency wind up with it?

Serious question; what happened with that 28 ton float? Where the folks who found it able to claim it, or did some agency wind up with it?

It is in China now in some private collection. My buddy warned to buy it but never came to an agreement with the owners. China must out bid him just like half of country they seem to own.

Back
Top Bottom