• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Soccer "coach" threatened me with "Citizen's Arrest" and forced me to leave park! *update* Post 69, I got the last laugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMP91

Today was supposed to be like any other hunt at a local soccer field that I have had no prior issues with for the past 4 years. I was minding my own business on the edge of the field, plucking out pocket dumps of change and even the occasional gold/silver ring.

About 20 minutes in, I see a group of about a dozen or so middle-school aged girls with a few adults, most of whom were wearing AYSO soccer uniforms arrive on the opposite end of the field and setting up cones and goalposts. I figure "OK, they are getting ready for practice, I may as well wrap up this last target and move on to the tot lot located next to the field".

Just as I was finishing cleaning up the dig area and reinserting the plug I had made, one of the adults from the Soccer group from the opposite end of the field that I was at (This was a large field, about 500 feet long! And judging by her appearance, was the head coach) had come within 8 feet to my left and begin yelling at me and hurling accusations at me that I was destroying *their* field and killing the grass and was going to make the young girls trip and hurt themselves because of my selfishness (What? :mad: ). I resisted the urge to verbally defend myself and explain what I was doing, because somehow I knew she wasn't gonna listen. When it became apparent that she wasn't going to listen to me (as per my intuition), I knew I had to walk away, this was not worth my time at all. I told her that I was done here and was going to go to the playground and that they were more than welcome to use the field (though, again they were all at the opposite end of the field, which is about 500 feet long... More than enough room for all of us!)

I grabbed my gear (which consisted of only my White's MXT Pro, my finds pouch and a Predator Lesche) and nigh high-tailed it to the Tot Lot (about 120 feet away from the field, completely separate part of the park). You'd figure that she'd have left me alone now, now that I wasn't even on the field anymore... Wrong.

As I was turning on my MXT Pro to search the playground, again she comes at me (at a much brisker pace now, she looked visibly enraged) and, once more hurls her mindless accusations and hatred of those she feels were "killing the field for their own selfish ends". It took every iota of self-restraint I possessed to not raise my own voice and point out that I wasn't even on the field anymore and was no longer "hurting the girls" (as she put it). It was here she started threatening to place me under Citizen's Arrest for an unspecified crime. As this is all going on, several people were gathering nearby, making it quite obvious that the lady was making a scene.

At this point, I decided that there was no reasoning with this woman and told her (calmly and civilly) that I was leaving and left the park, I put my gear in my car, and drove off to another park to round out my hunt. I noticed that she was on the phone while pointing at my car, as if to get somebody to record my license plate like I had committed a crime (which I had not). It's almost as if she had some sort of Ax to grind with me or some sort of long-held grudge against MD'ers? Since the police still haven't shown up at my doorstep, I'm guessing she was bluffing or trying to make sure I actually left.

Needless to say, I won't be going anywhere near that park during certain hours of the afternoon anymore. Who could have known a female Soccer Coach could be so hostile, if not borderline hysterical against fellow park patrons? :mad:

Citizens arrest??? Only one who should be place under a REAL arrest is the coach for harassment. It is one thing to get pissed on the field, but to follow you, that wouldn't have shone in her favor if she had called the police. Heck, you could have called the police and gotten her spoken to with that attitude.

Citizens arrest??? Only one who should be place under a REAL arrest is the coach for harassment. It is one thing to get pissed on the field, but to follow you, that wouldn't have shone in her favor if she had called the police. Heck, you could have called the police and gotten her spoken to with that attitude.

That would have been the easy way out... I'd rather she face the humiliation of making a fool out of herself in front of everybody watching, including her own Soccer students! I can only imagine how practice went after that tirade...

When you say "Predator Lesche" are you referring to the long handled predator that resembles a shovel? If so those aren't good to be seen with in a park or playing field. Best to take the trusty ole hand digger. If you're referring to a normal Lesche then I dunno, maybe that time of the month...:lol:

Wow, that would have taken every bit of self control I have to not jump back at her, and I doubt I possess enough control in that type of situation. Just me, but I think I would find out more about her, she accused you of some crime and tried to publically make you out like some sort of criminal, as long as detecting is legal in the park I think I would go to the park officials, get something from them in writing and next time she accosts you, you could show it to her and tell her to call the cops, obviously she thinks she is something special, its a public park not her park, but that's just me, man that pisses me off even though it didn't happen to me! Good luck, but man I'd hate to see you give up on a place you like just because of some nutcase who wants to make herself look good in front of her student and others. You could go hunting there under her nose, although not on the soccer field while they're playing , and she couldn't do a thing about it. If I was harassed again by her I think I'd take out a restraining order on the nutcase!

When you say "Predator Lesche" are you referring to the long handled predator that resembles a shovel? If so those aren't good to be seen with in a park or playing field. Best to take the trusty ole hand digger. If you're referring to a normal Lesche then I dunno, maybe that time of the month...:lol:

No, it's a basic 6 inch Lesche in terms of appearance, but it's the Crusader model, it has a slightly longer handle, built in storage compartment and a screw on Compass! :)

I know I will sound like a jerk here, and this is my opinion...

You did yourself and all of us here, wrong, by leaving. In that crazy woman's eyes, you admitted you were wrong by leaving (fleeing as she saw it)...

I would have stayed, let her call the cops, and speak to THEM in a civil maner... Better yet, act like I was leaving/fleeing, let her call the cops, While she was calling the cops I would have gone to get a snack, then I would go back to the park, set on a bench and eat my snack with my detector next to me.. And wait for the cops while the crazy bi#$% got even more angry...

If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing...

<*)))>{

I know I will sound like a jerk here, and this is my opinion...

You did yourself and all of us here, wrong, by leaving. In that crazy woman's eyes, you admitted you were wrong by leaving (fleeing as she saw it)...

I would have stayed, let her call the cops, and speak to THEM in a civil maner... Better yet, act like I was leaving/fleeing, let her call the cops, While she was calling the cops I would have gone to get a snack, then I would go back to the park, set on a bench and eat my snack with my detector next to me.. And wait for the cops while the crazy bi#$% got even more angry...

If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing...

<*)))>{

I understand, but I'm not the kind of person that likes to instigate or escalate a conflict, especially when no good would come of it.

In these kinds of situations, even if I am clearly in the right, I always found it best to just leave and come back another time when the source of the aggression is not present.

Plus, I'd rather not have this drag out in Civil Court (though I would have definitely have won), it's simply not worth it.

And then you'd have to think about all those people watching, especially her students. The impression that it will leave on them because of my decision to walk away (twice). If I had stayed and the conflict escalated (through no fault of my own), it would give MD'ing a real bad name if I was desperate enough to defend my hobby by arguing with somebody.

couple years ago I was kicked out of a Krogers for carrying a firearm. The store was not posted at any entrance. The manager kicked me out said it was against his and the stores policy. I talked a bit to him told him he needs to have his store posted by state law yada yada. Went home contacted the regional office and explained. They kinda of beat around the bush. I then went to a couple of firearm forums and well it spread like wild fire. The regional office called me and asked me to have everyone to stop calling and emailing them.:laughing::laughing: there servers were locking up. They sent me a Letter of apology for the managers actions and it also stated that I am aloud in the area stores while carrying!:cool: Went back to the store armed and the manage tried to kick me out again then I showed him the letter I kept in my wallet now. He was not happy what so ever but had no choice but to keep his mouth shut!

You can raise the argument to many levels many different ways. Like you did you have to know which ones to walk away from and attack from different angles.

I never said I would argue with her, she does not deserve my thoughts or my words, she is a bully, and you let her win. And the impression you speak of, well, you let those kids see that bullying is the way to do things...

You have the right to NOT say a damn thing to her, and go about your life in a legal manner. That is what I was saying you should have done. I would have let her raise holy hell, till either she, or sombody else called the police on the crazy bat....

You let her win, and it is too bad, because next time she does this, someone might give her more than she asked for, and then, metal detecting will have a black eye, and maybe her too..

What you did was selfish, to yourself, and it won't serve you any good as you go further down the road..

Again, simply my American opinion...

<*)))>{

Ice Scratcher, I see your point, and agree, why should we have to do anything different than what we are, and want to do by exercising our right to enjoy our hobby at a public park. I agree with you about just going about your business, continuing what you'reit doing and let her have her hissy fit and call the cops or get your lunch and wait for them to show up, better yet, even call them yourself and tell them you're being harassed and verbally attacked by someone at the park who is acting unstable. I hate letting someone get away with being a bully and it just infuriates me people act that way. I'm not criticizing the OP, he had to act the way he is "geared" to react to confrontation, but for me, I'm just a meet fire with fire or fire with water kind of guy.

I hope the OP don't have to put up with this lady again, but I'm afraid now she will only have her sense of righteousness reinforced. Maybe the local MD club could go out to the park on a soccer day when the lady is likely to be there? LOL

wow, that's crazy! sorry that happened to ya. :( some folks just wanna watch the world burn.

Wow! I'm sorry you had to go through that... That is extremely unprofessional on her part. I think that what you should do is find the email for the local AYSO and try to file a complaint that way. Threaten to escalate the situation, even if you don't intend to, so that they understand how serious you are. I would not just let this go, she is keeping you from your freedom to detect in that park (possibly others as well) and that is not okay! Please, don't just walk away from this, at the very least send an email.
- Aaron

We weren't there, so we really don't know how we would have responded. Body language tells a lot more than words. The woman clearly had some anger issues, and may have been itching for an excuse to get physically abusive as well. Leaving the soccer field, when a team showed up to use it was a good call. But, when she stalked you to another area of the park, perhaps getting the police involved would have been a good idea. She wasn't concern about her team at that point, just some personal issue. That much anger, is going to get someone hurt, maybe one of the kids on the team, and should have been dealt with, or documented, so she would get the help she needed. Too many crazy people in this world, doesn't do anyone any good to ignore them. It really is better not to escalate the situation, it's unbelievable what some people are capable of doing, until it's too late.

Your time and equipment are valuable, what would you have gained, had she gone off, busted up your machine? Sure, she'd be in jail, but how long before you get your machine fixed/replaced? How much time would you spend talking to the police, the courts? How long before you get compensated? I'd rather be hunting myself, rather than dealing with legal hassles. Plenty of ground to hunt, not into the hassles or territorial fights.

My opinion, I would have never left. I would have recorded her with video from my phone and after enough evidence called the police on her disorderly conduct. That is assuming it is public property, you can legally MD, and you dig correct plugs that didn't kill any grass and can't be seen. The police would have liked the video and had a good talk to her or even charged her. Her claims of you damaging property are groundless. By leaving, you empowered her more.

Slightly off topic but I metal detect and I also play soccer. When you guys hunt the fields are you only doing the sidelines or are you hunting the actual playing field? I would have no problems with people hunting the sidelines but tearing up the playing field I would find annoying as a soccer player. It is very easy to sprain your ankle if you get your foot caught in a divot where a plug had been made. Even if you correctly fill the hole the top of the grass isn't going to be very secure for at least a couple days especially if the grass is dry.

Maybe save the actual on field hunting until after the season is over. What do other people think about this?

Slightly off topic but I metal detect and I also play soccer. When you guys hunt the fields are you only doing the sidelines or are you hunting the actual playing field? I would have no problems with people hunting the sidelines but tearing up the playing field I would find annoying as a soccer player. It is very easy to sprain your ankle if you get your foot caught in a divot where a plug had been made. Even if you correctly fill the hole the top of the grass isn't going to be very secure for at least a couple days especially if the grass is dry.

Maybe save the actual on field hunting until after the season is over. What do other people think about this?

I know here i'd never dig on the playing surface. I had a grounds worker check me once for what I was digging with. I'll use a screwdriver during off season on a field. During the season we have grounds crews that spend hours with reel mowers and fertilizers to keep the fields in shape. I also know we had a hostile softball coach get himself killed for flying off the handle and trying to assault someone in the stands. The police called it self defense and no charges were filed. Sounds like that lady needs some serious help. If the grounds crew catches you digging on a surface here you'll never hunt that park again. I was hunting off the field and still the only way I got off the hook with the grounds keeper was I showed him a handful of bottle caps and pull tabs I had cleaned up. But believe me. He looked where I had dug and made sure I didn't do any damage. A screwdriver works like a lawn aerator. It won't ever kill grass or leave a sign anyone was there.:D

I agree with Harvey. Although its never happened to me I'm really glad you posted this so I will be more mentally prepared if it ever does. Every situation is different and I commend you for taking the high road and not allowing the situation to escalate further. You never know when someone in the crowd will jump in things really get out of hand. I think she was the type that lets a little authority (soccer coach) in her mind is way out of proportion to reality. If I really wanted to hunt there though I think I would go back but if she approaches you again, YOU be prepared to call the police right away. She does need to understand that she is only a soccer coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom