Old Mansion

Coin Striker

Well, I got permission to detect this old mansion from the early 1900's in a very rich neighborhood. There is a signed picture of Winston Churchill on the dining hall because he actually ate dinner in that very house. I spent 7 hours detecting the entire lawn area and every place I could imagine. I only found $3.87 in clad and (1) lonely 1944 wheat penny. I am totally depressed!!! Why can I not find SILVER!!! AAAHHHH

I feel your pain! I have hunted some houses from the 20's and 30's and no silver only clad and very little clad at that. I guess the old farmers were very frugal with their money, guess i will just keep looking!:?:

It is depressing when you go to the trouble of getting permission to MD an old home, and then walk away with just a wheat or two. That's happened to me many times, but every once in a while, something really great pops out of the ground and makes it all worthwhile :) Keep trying. You'll get that silver :)

It sometimes takes going over an area a few times before you hit something. Try walking and sweeping in the opposite direction then you did. Try all the different possibilities you can. I am sure there are more then a few dollars in clad, unless it has been dectected and cleaned out by someone else before you. But I would keep at it and try different walking patterns and see if that helps. Let us know how that works out for you.

GOODLUCK!!!

winston churchill the PM of Great Britain? or winston churchill the writer? When I snagged some books by Winston Churchill I was in my glory, then realized it was from the writer and not THE Churchill....

where's that mansion at? Living in Clarksville for quite a few years and working in Lowell during that time, would be cool to try to remember which house.

either way, nice score on the permission.

I too feel your pain. I love doing research and hitting a very promising spot, only to find junk clad... and then one or two wheaties. Where there are wheats, there must be silver... but I never find it! (Yeah, that was my hunt last night :no:)

I never find silver coins where I think they should be, and I have found only 10 silver coins altogether!

People just didn't lose a pocket full of silver back in the day like folks throw clad around today, silver coins would buy a lot of stuff in thier era.

That silver quarter and merc dime was a half a tank of gas, a rip roaring saloon visit or a weeks worth of groceries.

If you find any silver, the person who lost it more than likely went back and looked for it. It was truly lost.

Back
Top Bottom