• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What's The Scariest Thing That happened To Detecting?

The land owner showed up :lol:

Seriously, probably it would be the day I was digging with a large pocket knife and about half way through the hunt I noticed a micro thin piece of gold hanging from the blade. I went back in a frenzy reopening the previous holes but never found what had deposited that soft gold on my knife (it was caught where the blade folds).

Badger

I now tell her that my cell phone interrupts my metal detector and that's why I don't answer the phone anymore. I got smart, LOL.

I was shot at in my own back yard by a poacher who thought i was a deer. Or so he said. Needless to say he lost his rifle when i got a hold of him. broke it accross my knee infront of him... By the way that is a bad idea for anyone to try. it REALLY hurts.

bees

dug into a yellow jacket nest while digging out a target. I had to come back the next day with a can of raid to get the wheat penny that was still in the hole :runaway:

critters

Opened up a ant nest. Usually black ants dont bite , but when they are pissed off they sure do. There were hundreds of them and they ran into my shoes and everything :mad:

I was in az and took a bathroom break and while squatting i look down to see a huge rattle snake going between my feet. It scared the crap out of me, ( literally ) and i almost hit it with a log, ( AND I DON'T MEAN A STICK ).:shock::D

Weasel beat me to the snakes. The only coral snake I've ever seen was while out hunting the old railway. I almost stepped on it and cannot describe the gripping fear I felt at the moment. I've heard coral snake bites are very often fatal. Don't know this for sure but it was in my mind at the time.

We have a small rattler down here that I've run across several times and even had one of my dogs bit by one. Dog lived, snake didn't. I beat it to death, then took Butch to the vet's.

Old Town

:lol: man you guys got some funny stories....some scary for sure but the rattlesnake and the log story.....:lol:

I was in az and took a bathroom break and while squatting i look down to see a huge rattle snake going between my feet. It scared the crap out of me, ( literally ) and i almost hit it with a log, ( AND I DON'T MEAN A STICK ).:shock::D

Wow...It all adds up too, you thought that story out.

My wife called and said I have to come home.

I had the samething happen to me,I told my wife I was on the way.I shut my cell phone off and showed up 5 hrs later,when I finally came home she said I had better have found a $1,000,000,000.Things got really scary when i told her $12 in change:lol::lol:

hi gang, i think ticks put the willys up me almost the most, bloomin little parasite carying scary things, had a few n delt with them luckely no after wobble,had a stag come smashing out of the woods not even 20ft away and leg it past me,,,have been out in the middle of no where and a full on electrical storm decides to rummble over and luckely just got drenched , was in a small clearing and some hunters started blasting 12 bor right next through the trees ,but the worst for me is digging like a complete muppet thinking it was more big iron and pushing the end of one of these out of the ground,:?: crapped my pants when i realised what it was,
this is not my photo or the same bomb,mine i put the earth back on it and phoned the Gendarms ,which took blooody ages to come out and then after 2 hours sitting in one of there vans explaining myself i was able to leave....

Attachments

• Guten Tag.jpg
    Guten Tag.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 206
Weasel beat me to the snakes. The only coral snake I've ever seen was while out hunting the old railway. I almost stepped on it and cannot describe the gripping fear I felt at the moment. I've heard coral snake bites are very often fatal. Don't know this for sure but it was in my mind at the time.

We have a small rattler down here that I've run across several times and even had one of my dogs bit by one. Dog lived, snake didn't. I beat it to death, then took Butch to the vet's.

Old Town

Coral snakes have very toxic venom, but little of it. They also have relatively short fangs, so they need a thin-skinned area on your body to get it in. However, it is safest not to let it even attempt to bite.

The small rattler, is it the Pygmy Rattler? The only poisonous snakes in my area are copperheads and timber rattlers, but neither are extremely common around here. I haven't seen a copperhead since I was a kid.

-- Tom

I was informed that my post may of offended some so i do apologise
I thought i cleaned it up but i guess not enough...

You guys need to keep your phone off except when needing to make a call. That's what I do. Don't need anyone interrupting me when detecting. 99 % of the time the call is not critical any way.

Steve in so az

Coral snakes have very toxic venom, but little of it. They also have relatively short fangs, so they need a thin-skinned area on your body to get it in. However, it is safest not to let it even attempt to bite.

The small rattler, is it the Pygmy Rattler? The only poisonous snakes in my area are copperheads and timber rattlers, but neither are extremely common around here. I haven't seen a copperhead since I was a kid.

-- Tom

Tom, the Dusky Pygmy Rattler. That's my snake. Before the Overseas Highway was built on the old railway in the 30s, no rattlers lived on these islands. But the Pygmy travels well and they started to slither down the new highway. That paved surface was easily traveled at night when the pavement was still nice and warm. So the Pygmy started to vacation in the Keys like all the rest of the mainland snakes. (tourists) Today they inhabit every island down to Key West. It's a handsome little guy with rich markings with good contrast. I've never seen a Timber Rattler or any other species except in photos.

OT

Back
Top Bottom