Favorite job as a kid

Old Town

moved on...
What was your favorite job you had as a kid? I've only done three things in my life. I started at 13 sweeping and cleaning in a boat yard. Today I build boats on my own. But as a teenager I also got training in a jewelry store in gold and silver casting along with general jewelry repair and construction. I learned to set stones (real diamonds) at 16 years of age.

But my favorite job as a kid was weekends pumping gas at a local station while in high school. I met so many interesting people and had so much fun I would have done it for no pay if it was asked of me. Just the pretty tourist girls I ran into alone made the whole experience worthwhile. It was not hazardous duty.

By my early 20s I was full time at the boat yard and that is what I do today on my own. But weekends at the gas station was a very good time. Too bad it did not allow a decent living.

OT

I mowed lawns, shoveled snow, did dishwashing in a restaurant, pumped gas, too. As old town said, pumping gas was pretty fun. My favorite, though, was "cleaning the lint" at a laundromat. My stepfather owned 3 laundromats, and he paid me a few dollars to clean the lint out of the compartments under the dryers. The dryers have a door with a lock under the door you put your clothes in. There's a roughly 3 foot square area for the lint. I cleaned em' every two weeks, as fire prevention as well.
Why did I like that job, you surely ask?

Because of all the change, bills, and jewelry I found in there. Found $86 once in one machine...... in bills( paid off my first shotgun with it!). Found a gold ring too....... You never knew what you'd find, anything that could be in pockets of clothes could be in there. Sometimes you'd get skunked, though. Does any of this sound familiar???:lol:

And if you've always wondered where the "other" sock went from that matching pair, I'll let you in on a little trade secret........ Into the lint, along with your change, packs of gum, keys, and anything else you left in your pockets when you washed your clothes. .:lol: Heck, I may have used that sock to carry all my booty home :gettinmoney:after cleaning the lint that day.........

Come to think of it, :thinking:I've got quite a ways to go in metal detecting before I match my finds cleaning lint, dollar wise.

Flipped burgers at Burger Chef, bagged groceries at King Soopers, but the best was also the lowest paying - working in a day care center with 4 year olds. Not necessarily because I loved the kids, but because the problems the kids displayed were so much so in their parents. Fascinating....

I have been a dairy farmer all my life, like any job it has it good and bad points. We can pretty much set our own time, don't have a boss telling us what to do (although we have to pass state inspections). Its a 7 day a week job 365 days a year and with little pay. I started my own business back in 1985 (I was 24) called Yours' 2 C Satellite Systems, I installed/repaired/etc. satellite equipment. I have always loved electronics and met alot of nice people and felt alot of accomplishment doing satellite installations. Even people out in the boondocks have to have their tv. These are the only two jobs I have ever had. Steve.

workin at the mall in a music store (Sam Goody) was my favorite.....met alot of chicks.....:lol:;)

Better than money

workin at the mall in a music store (Sam Goody) was my favorite.....met alot of chicks.....:lol:;)

This meeting of chicks should not be underrated. In Key West every young woman in Florida came to the station in a bikini top. They liked little, low cars and I'm fairly tall. It was heaven when they'd ask directions or some silly thing and I could stand at their driver's door peering down.

I think I was paid 4 dollars an hour. I would have PAID 5 dollars an hour to work there if Andy the owner had asked me.

OT

I had a ton of different jobs as a kid, but one i remember liking ALOT was working at a car dealership in the washing/detaling area. I had a master key to the lock boxes on the windows of the cars and took them, one by one, through the car wash and detailed them and put them back on the lot. I got to drive every car I could think of and take whichever one i wanted to lunch with a dealer tag on the back.

When i was 11 and right before summer vacation a friend and i busted out some windows in a house that was being built and my sister told on us.. My dad wooped me good and draged me to the construction site the next day. I ended up cleaning up construction sites and mowing lawns for the contractor all summer vacation, six day a week to pay off the windows i broke. I ended up working for him until i graduated high school and was making more money they anyone i knew and had great time doing it.

I have never really had a job that I liked..But the most interesting one I had was at the age of 16 in Branson, MO picking up & delivering music show tickets, I met a lot of famous singers while doing that job..

I was raised on a farm. The next thing to slave labor. I usually helped my Grandfather hoe weeds, fix fence, feed livestock, and a thousand other things that needed to be done. What I enjoyed most was listening to him tell about how things were when he was a boy. While I would have rather been doing something else then, I'd give anything to be able to go back to those days again.

Ah a Thread where I can write about my first Job. Not a good experience I must tell you. My first on the books job was at Subway at 15 and a Half. (28 now) I was only there for two weeks and was not even my fault. I was there long enough to get one Pay Check lol. Anyways the Board of Health Closed the place down because of Roach infestion.

Yep you heard me right..... The Roaches were getting on top of the Ice Machine since it was warm up there and falling in. Well Customers were complaining about legs and so forth in their ice cubes......

Yummy right?

Nothing like a Roach infested BLT! And a Roach leg or worse in your Ice cubed drink. Nevertheless I did not know what I was getting into until one week into working in the Job.

It is gross I know of a story to tell but it is all Truth.

I worked a lot of jobs growing up. I have done everything from bailing hay, to working on a horse farm to flipping burgers and bagging groceries. My favorite job was when I was a junior in high school through my freshman year of college. I worked in professional wrestling. No, I didn't wrestle. I worked pre-match advertising, setting up/tearing down, security, etc. I was also used some in practice. My claim to fame was being "suplexed" by the Undertaker when he wrestled as "The Commando". I got to meet a lot of famous people in many different areas of entertainment through this job.

Doug

I harvested when I was very young but my first real job would have been at the Sonic Drive In in 1969. I was a roller skating carhop. Did that for 3 1/2 years.

My favorite job as a kid was a summer job I took at Ashby's, a seafood restaurant at the historic Mystic Seaport in Connecticut. I was a dishwasher/prep cook. I worked with some great people, and got paid under the table. In HS, and during the summer, cash was king.

My best job was the 1st summer out of high school.I worked in a few boat yards cleaning boats,painting boat bottoms(not so fun),teak wood work etc looking at all the girls laying out on the decks:wow::cool::D.Making friends with boat owners doing alot of sailing,motor boating,getting a great tan,meeting girls.And getting paid in cash every week and tips from boat owners it was a good paying job back then.

When i was 11 and right before summer vacation a friend and i busted out some windows in a house that was being built and my sister told on us.. My dad wooped me good and draged me to the construction site the next day. I ended up cleaning up construction sites and mowing lawns for the contractor all summer vacation, six day a week to pay off the windows i broke. I ended up working for him until i graduated high school and was making more money they anyone i knew and had great time doing it.

My favorite story so far.

My favorite job was while still in high school I started
being an ambulance attendant in the only ambulance
company in Little Rock. I was first out on every call
because I was the only attendant. I worked 24hours
a day, 7 days a week. I got paid $45 a week.

I had more money than I could spend. Met lots of girls.

When school started, I would come to school in an
ambulance and they would pick me up after school.

When I took a girl out, I had a cot waiting in the back.

Happy Huntin,

Back
Top Bottom