Surfmaster PI DF home repair possible?

You can pick up those battery holders at any electronics store, usually just a few dollars..

I bought one of those cheaper battery holders. Just take some sandpaper to it-doesn’t need too much taken off at all. Fits fine.

You can pick up those battery holders at any electronics store, usually just a few dollars..

What's an "electronics store"? :laughing:

In all seriousness, Radioshack doesn't exist. Local hobby shops don't sell 8 cell AA holders, only 4 cell because apparently RC cars don't use 8 cell holders anymore. Not in stock at Best Buy. The local battery guy, Bill, only has 4 cell holders.

Amazon always wins these days.:yes:

I bought one of those cheaper battery holders. Just take some sandpaper to it-doesn’t need too much taken off at all. Fits fine.

Hmmm. I wonder if it's an option to use the sandpaper on the box itself. The plastic is thicker in the box than the holder. Then if I have to replace the holder again I don't need to get the sandpaper out again.

What's an "electronics store"? :laughing:

In all seriousness, Radioshack doesn't exist. Local hobby shops don't sell 8 cell AA holders, only 4 cell because apparently RC cars don't use 8 cell holders anymore. Not in stock at Best Buy. The local battery guy, Bill, only has 4 cell holders.

Amazon always wins these days.:yes:

Not sure if there's one in your area but Fry's electronics usually has them

https://www.frys.com/product/2966115?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

...But yea Amazon works too :yes:

Also seems like you got a leak somewhere in your control box :yes:

Not sure if there's one in your area but Fry's electronics usually has them

https://www.frys.com/product/2966115?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

...But yea Amazon works too :yes:

Also seems like you got a leak somewhere in your control box :yes:

Ah yes Fry's would be great if there was Fry's on Oahu.

Now as far as the leak goes...

I found out today after taking her in the water that there is indeed a leak problem and it is massive. I think the control box is actually cracking, or it is getting in through the potentiometers, or the o ring isn't working.

Either way, she's still perfectly functional (after I cleaned her up) on the beach.

Yep. Control box is cracking...

:(

Attachments

• IMAG0417_1.jpg
    IMAG0417_1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 98
Wow that is some cracking! Wonder if you call Whites if they will send you a new one? Maybe minus the stickers?

I patched the hole with PlasticWeld epoxy putty so that problem is now fixed.

However, there are about 10 hairline fractures on the bottom black portion of the box and disintegrating potentiometer o-rings... Still taking on water even just from spraying it with a hose. :no:

I suppose it is worth a try reaching out to Whites. I decided not to go the repair route because I can't afford it, but maybe if I am lucky they can hook me up with a new box and potentiometer o rings for less than $150.

Uh oh..

She doesn't turn on anymore. Batteries and cables good.

PCB must have fried somehow when I sprayed it with a hose (and not when I took it in the ocean? ok..). I should have removed the PCB but I foolishly thought it would be too much of a hassle to reconnect plugs.

You know what is more hassle? Being back to square 1. (not so smart I guess Aquaman! :P)

Picked up a multimeter

Now that we've figured out the schematic posted here is accurate, I've started checking individual components.

It won't be easy considering I've never used a multimeter (and mine is analog), but if I can find the faulty component I can replace it!

Also, if you're someone reading this in the future trying to fix your machine, don't use isopropyl alcohol. It messed with the glue White's uses. I don't think it is damaging, but it looks super ugly/messy now.

Back
Top Bottom