Civil War flat button?

Mcuch

Can anyone tell me if this US flat button is from the Civil War, and what this handle may have been, it has a flat bottom and oval shape on top. Found the two ringer and round ball in vicinity of the the other finds. A good few hours in the woods yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_20171222_191526_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20171222_191526_hdr.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_20171222_191611_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20171222_191611_hdr.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 389
Your US devise is post war. Possible as old as WWI. The other item is the bottom of a tent rope fastener. It was first made in the 1870s or 80s.

Last edited:
Screw back collar disk. Can't see the back ground on face to tell age. The date range without seeing the background is pre WW1 to early WW2.

The long piece of metal is the "tail strap" off a brass Enfield trigger guard. Notoriously known breaking off at the screw hole just behind the trigger guard after the front of the trigger guard is caught on something. I have found a dozen or so. If you live in the right area, the US flat button is probably from the War of 1812. There are several examples in the button book.

Attachments

• trigger guard.jpg
    trigger guard.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 300
  • US Buttons.jpg
    US Buttons.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 332
Looks Like

It looks like you found a .69 caliber round ball and a .54 caliber Burnside Carbine bullet. I also believe that the long brass piece is off an Enfield or similar rifle. The US devise you found, is it brass or lead? It's really hard to tell from your pictures. If it's lead, I'd say it's a civil war period US rosette and not a button. BTW, if it's brass, I'd lean towards a collar insignia which is post civil war.

Great finds and you're certainly in the right area.

Back
Top Bottom