• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Finially an 1800's coin

waltr

Elite Member
At the 1800's farm site today and found a few interesting items (as will as 60 pieces of iron & 5 shotgun shells).
Before cleaning:

After cleaning (soap and water with soft brush) - its an Indian head.
Date 1865 and Liberty can clearly be read with a wonderful patina.

I can't believe its condition.

The shell is a .32 rimfire with 'U' on head.
Large holed disc I though might be a larger copper but No marking and it is white colored metal- maybe Tin.

Unknown decorative piece- maybe pewter.

Attachments

• IMG_9837 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9837 (Medium).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_9839 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9839 (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_9838 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9838 (Medium).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 512
Thanks everyone.
I am still in disbelief and keep looking at this IHP.

This old farm site has had a lot of surprises. Link to thread on other finds:
https://www.metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=262517

I guessed it was an Indian when I dig it figuring very late 1800's or early 1900's like the other coin. Once cleaned I was amazed at the condition and the early date.

I have yet to find a Wheat penny. Odd.

That Indian is VERY close to UNCIRCULATED and is probably the best “dug” example I’ve seen. Congrats on breaking the 1800’s barrier in style!!!
Jim

What a great coin to break into the 1800s with. I have only found a few IHP's, but they usually don't look that nice.
That ornate piece looks like late 1800s to early 1900 "Art Nouveau" style brass. Commonly used in candelabras, mirror and picture frames, chandeliers, shelves, brackets, etc. This stuff would sometimes be cast iron, but yours would be badly rusted if it was iron.

What a great coin to break into the 1800s with. I have only found a few IHP's, but they usually don't look that nice.
That ornate piece looks like late 1800s to early 1900 "Art Nouveau" style brass. Commonly used in candelabras, mirror and picture frames, chandeliers, shelves, brackets, etc. This stuff would sometimes be cast iron, but yours would be badly rusted if it was iron.

Yea, my only other IH is a 1901 with 'liberty' worn off.

The ornate piece is not brass. I just filed a bit of a broken end and it is whitish and fairly soft (softer than brass but harder than lead). My guess is maybe Pewter, maybe another white metal alloy. It also feels fairly heavy.
I have found a few pewter spoons.

Late 1800's, early 1900's does fit with other objects found, like the 1885-1901 Hosiery Fasteners.

Thanks for the info. I may find more by web searching "Art Nouveau" style. I was thinking it might be broken off a serving dish, bowel, etc. but as you suggest it could be from anything.

I found this before the IH and consider it a Good Find.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom