Oops, sorry...Found more silver yesterday than I thought...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
This is why you don't assume and need to check your finds closely.
Yesterday was all about finding a long sought bucket lister...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=262373

...so this one got lost in the shuffle.

It was found before I dug the Barber using 5 tones, low to mid 20's, solid, no flutey tone.
The first of the only two decent high tone coin-like hits I got on this short hunt.
Came up dirty but a small spot was clean and rubbing it I could get the front cleaner but the back was black and filled with rusted iron...or so I thought.
At best I thought this was maybe an old button with a silver wash.
This morning I cleaned it better under the tap and what I thought was iron was just caked up crusty black dirt and it all cleaned out then I saw the inside was now just as clean as the top.
Hmmmm....

I tested it the way I was taught to by my local refiner who doesn't trust silver testing acid but uses 18k gold testing acid instead.
I scraped the edge on a stone and dropped the acid on the mark and it immediately turned bright blue.
Still, it could be plated so I used a small file and cut deep into the side to get past the surface down to the base, core metal.
Put one drop on that cut and again...bright blue.
I definitely found two silver targets yesterday, not just one so...yea!.

It is the cap off of an old dime sized two piece button or maybe it is the cap off of something else, I don't know for sure but, whatever.

Two short hunts, 5 old coins, three silver targets and my journey with the Nox has barely begun.

Gonna be fun for the next 6 months till the end if the year and I hope shocking.

Attachments

• photostudio_1529067877858_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1529067877858_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom