Tesoro compadre 8 inch coil vs 5.75 inch

needler420

Elite Member
What are the differences between the two models? I noticed I used to own the 5.75 one and the one I ordered is 8. I see the 5.75 is water proof. Is the 8 as well?

The main thing I read was.
The Compadre is now available with an 8" round concentric coil.

This coil will give you a slightly larger search area and better depth on larger targets.

Which is nice depth used to be a problem. I just really hope this new 8 inch coil is waterproof too. I was planning on taking it to beaches to search out going tides.

Both are waterproof coils. I have two 8” compadres - cover a bit more ground maybe more depth but also maybe less seperation? But mine seem to do well in a variety of locals - dirt and lakes.

No single frequency will handle wet salt sand/water well.

Digger knows all regarding Conpadres maybe he’ll chime in :)

Ok cool so basically a new and improved coil.That's awesome.

I owned the compadre back in 2011 and I don't believe the 8 inch was even out then. One of the problems I didn't like back then was the depth detection. I knew those more expensive detectors $400 dollars would pick up signals I wasn't getting.

I came back expecting the compade to be a discontinued and unavailable detector. I came back and this is a updated improved model and still the same MSRP price.

On top of that I just ordered one today on ebay with the fathers day code. spent $128.50 for a new one. So happy.

Yep, Tesoro came out with this bigger coil model and continues to sell it next to the smaller coil version.
Didn't raise the price on the thing one cent, either, which from a business standpoint is kinda silly but hey...it was a nice thing to do.

I played with one for a few weeks when they first came out and it seemed to be a little bit deeper than my older 7" coil version with all the same superpowers intact.
It double beeped next to big metal easily, separation was about on par with the smaller coils, hyper sensitive to everything including chains.
The whole enchilada.

I remember some yeas ago I put a connector on my Compadre
so I could change coils. But I found for me I liked the smaller coil
most of the time. It was awesome on competition hunts too.

Attachments

• com81.jpg
    com81.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 580
It was a cheapskate thing not to make coils interchangeable on the Compadre. With offering a larger coil option, they simply get to sell more detectors. They should've realized they'd have sold more coils than detectors, had they given people the interchange option.

Yes, I'm a Tesoro fan, but they still pull some bonehead stuff, same as the rest.

I did as DD, and put a connector on my Compadre, which now can share coils with my DeLeon. So :p Tesoro :laughing:

ETA: You won't notice any real depth difference between the 2 coils.

picture.php

Can't really fault them for not making coils interchangeable.
At $160 there probably isn't that much profit involved to begin with.
Having added the coil connector, sensitivity and other mods on mine I've come to the conclusion that it was fine the way it came from the factory. It was fun tinkering but it kind of took away from the minimalist vibe it had.

In my opinion the 5.75 coil is a little better at finding targets next to metal poles and better at unmasking in iron but the 8" is no slouch either.

In the end it's an amazing beginners machine that will teach you loads and always have a niche use once you've moved on to fancier machines

Best beginner detector imo. Has a magical ability to find coins in really trashy camp sites other machine miss with all the camp slag around. Would still have one of not for the mojave.

Without a doubt, the best tot lot detector I have ever used. No matter what
your main detector is, the Compadre is a great detector to have in your arsenal.

Back
Top Bottom