First cold call and a surprising absolutely no way, no chance ever, response.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
So just a few minutes ago, I left the home of a landowner where an old house stands. I had driven by it recently and saw that it looks like a pre Civil War house. Uninhabited still with all the old trees growing around it, nice and shaded, with the grass kept up all around. The house is not fixed up or in good condition and it looks completely awesome. I would love to have this house on a property I own just to enjoy. I use the tax maps to figure out that the neighboring house was where the landowner lived. Knock on the door and the lady answered in a wheelchair with a cast on her leg. She said it was her husband's house. I had a very pleasant demeanor, told her where I was from, which is very local, and said that my son and I had started metal detecting with an interest in history. I asked if anyone had ever detected the site and she said no and I asked if she would be interested in letting my son and I do it and she said "absolutely not. No way.". she proceeded to tell me about her children who were all in law enforcement and one was a district court judge. I don't know why she told me that because I was very politely asking and gave no indication of disappointment with her response. It felt like an unnecessary threat. She said her children feel the same way she does and that no one should ever be allowed to set foot on that property. She said the house is in a condition that's too dangerous for them to go in. I tried to tell her I had no interest in going in the home just to be clear. By this time, in my mind and heart I'm getting quite defensive because I have no intention of disregarding her wishes. She said something along the lines of "it's a house where relatives of ours once lived and we want to keep it for ourselves kind of selfish I guess"..

I have absolutely no problem with her saying no to my request. I have absolutely no problem with her saying no to my request. I was just surprised at their resolute desire to never have anyone outside of the family even step foot on the grass to look at the house at all. If it is as old as she says it is, I think there'd be lots of people interested in helping keep it alive for future generations to see.

Oh well, 0 for 1. [emoji16]

(I forgot. I'm actually one in one when cold calling strangers. Just last night I got permission to detect on a farm that saw Civil War action but has been picked over before bye an expert grant me permission to go on a neighboring farm that has not been detected as much but had some recent finds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

.......Knock on the door and the lady answered in a wheelchair with a cast on her leg. She said it was her husband's house.....

What stood out to me is that she made it a point to say that it's her husband's house, but you went on to ask her for the permission instead of asking her when he might be around. The husband might have had a totally different opinion.

With that said, I probably would have asked her just like you did as a result of being too eager.

Given a hard no, and a strong desire to hunt the site, all you can really do is make it clear to them that you'll show them your finds (and mean it) and they can pick what they want.

Or, wait for them to no longer own the property. I'm hunting a property that I made note of a few years ago and couldn't get an answer. The new owner agreed right away and is excited to see what goodies I find.

I was detecting a city park and a couple walking past struck up a conversation. The lady said that a crew working on the water lines had dug up a SLQ. I was all ears as she talked about it. When I asked if it would be okay if I detected their yard she said Fine but I get everything you find as it is Mine. I wished them a nice day and put my headphones back on.

Gleaner, from everything you said I'm pretty sure you scared the fraulein. :fright:

That would explain the mention of her husband (so you know she isn't alone) and the mentioning of all the family members in law enforcement. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if what she was telling you was total b.s. but it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Don't take it personally. You know you're not a threat but she doesn't. To her, you're a stranger at her door making a strange request. It doesn't matter how polite or well dressed you are, people are automatically on the defensive when a stranger knocks on their door.

Don't overthink it or stew over the rejection. Move on to another property. Try to catch people when they are already outside whenever possible.

Better luck next time.

What stood out to me is that she made it a point to say that it's her husband's house, but you went on to ask her for the permission instead of asking her when he might be around. The husband might have had a totally different opinion.

The way she said it made it sound like 'deceased husband'.

Either way, I felt she was a little loopy.

But I also was respectful of her wishes.

Don't feel bad. Most everyone says no nowadays because they're either paranoid, they all think there's treasure in their yards and they don't want someone else to find it, they don't like people in general, etc.

Just today I was given a yes on an old school house and neighboring log home I have been salivating over for the past couple of years. The people in the log home seemed friendly and interested in what I was doing. The school house neighbors came home while I was setting up and the lady told me to come detect her yard after. Awesome! Until her husband came out and I was talking to him. He said he rather I not come over there and that his friend had already detected it anyway. Whatever dude. So I went about detecting the awesome yard of this log home and had just dug my first plug when the dude comes out of his house and says, "I'm sorry but my wife and daughter are having a fit now about you guys detecting here. They wanted to do it and find all of the valuable coins so I'm going to have to ask you to leave." So I told him, "Ok. Good luck!" Then as I was packing up my gear I loudly told my girlfriend that I was just about to find his balls in the yard too. I hope he heard me.

I say kuddos to you for doing your homework and finding good potential sites. Even with this rejection, your hard work is bound to produce results for you when you get the “yes” at another. Keep it up and happy hunting.

So just a few minutes ago, I left the home of a landowner where an old house stands. I had driven by it recently and saw that it looks like a pre Civil War house. Uninhabited still with all the old trees growing around it, nice and shaded, with the grass kept up all around. The house is not fixed up or in good condition and it looks completely awesome. I would love to have this house on a property I own just to enjoy. I use the tax maps to figure out that the neighboring house was where the landowner lived. Knock on the door and the lady answered in a wheelchair with a cast on her leg. She said it was her husband's house. I had a very pleasant demeanor, told her where I was from, which is very local, and said that my son and I had started metal detecting with an interest in history. I asked if anyone had ever detected the site and she said no and I asked if she would be interested in letting my son and I do it and she said "absolutely not. No way.". she proceeded to tell me about her children who were all in law enforcement and one was a district court judge. I don't know why she told me that because I was very politely asking and gave no indication of disappointment with her response. It felt like an unnecessary threat. She said her children feel the same way she does and that no one should ever be allowed to set foot on that property. She said the house is in a condition that's too dangerous for them to go in. I tried to tell her I had no interest in going in the home just to be clear. By this time, in my mind and heart I'm getting quite defensive because I have no intention of disregarding her wishes. She said something along the lines of "it's a house where relatives of ours once lived and we want to keep it for ourselves kind of selfish I guess"..

I have absolutely no problem with her saying no to my request. I have absolutely no problem with her saying no to my request. I was just surprised at their resolute desire to never have anyone outside of the family even step foot on the grass to look at the house at all. If it is as old as she says it is, I think there'd be lots of people interested in helping keep it alive for future generations to see.

Oh well, 0 for 1. [emoji16]

(I forgot. I'm actually one in one when cold calling strangers. Just last night I got permission to detect on a farm that saw Civil War action but has been picked over before bye an expert grant me permission to go on a neighboring farm that has not been detected as much but had some recent finds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sign of the times! people "generally" just don't want anyone on their property!
it's a" liability" issue, and some feel "violated" if you should ask! .it sucks ,to be sure, but consider their feelings! would you 'honestly" let a complete stranger hunt YOUR property?..be totally honest!..now! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I was detecting a city park and a couple walking past struck up a conversation. The lady said that a crew working on the water lines had dug up a SLQ. I was all ears as she talked about it. When I asked if it would be okay if I detected their yard she said Fine but I get everything you find as it is Mine. I wished them a nice day and put my headphones back on.

i hear that! but think about it! it's her property, and she has a right to demand everything you find! it may sound selfish, but it is HER property, not yours! i wouldn't accept that either!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Don't feel bad. Most everyone says no nowadays because they're either paranoid, they all think there's treasure in their yards and they don't want someone else to find it, they don't like people in general, etc.

Just today I was given a yes on an old school house and neighboring log home I have been salivating over for the past couple of years. The people in the log home seemed friendly and interested in what I was doing. The school house neighbors came home while I was setting up and the lady told me to come detect her yard after. Awesome! Until her husband came out and I was talking to him. He said he rather I not come over there and that his friend had already detected it anyway. Whatever dude. So I went about detecting the awesome yard of this log home and had just dug my first plug when the dude comes out of his house and says, "I'm sorry but my wife and daughter are having a fit now about you guys detecting here. They wanted to do it and find all of the valuable coins so I'm going to have to ask you to leave." So I told him, "Ok. Good luck!" Then as I was packing up my gear I loudly told my girlfriend that I was just about to find his balls in the yard too. I hope he heard me.

know how you feel, but i gotta tell ya, it makes me too angry to deal with people over this! today, it's even worse, because it's "liability" has people scared, and they really don't know you, and don't want you on their property! i really don't want to deal with that, and waste my time! really! but that's me! i have limited time, and getting told to "screw" is something i don't have time for! way it is!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

To the person who said whatever you find is mine and I will take. I would offer..... that sounds great. I will find the item and you can dig it up and take!! But perhaps add, I charge $20 an hour for my time and machine rental.

I detect a farm where the husband is retired gov. and she was a secretary for the FBI. the farm is run down, the old ford truck and station wagon are on their last leg. she has made it known several times that she doesn't trust the banks. she handles her own money. I was told I can detect the creeks, fields, and woods. stay out of the old barn and back yard with the grass chest high. hmmmm ???? money in mason jars??????? lol

well if she is that old and cranky she might just die before you do. Then you can see if she was telling the truth about the kids feelings on the property if you can wait it out a few years to few decades.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom