Pawn Shop Find, I got the pawn shop!!

mindsweepur

Hello all, I figured I would share this with anyone that may live or work in a town similar to mine. I went into a local pawn shop, we have about 4 in our town, so not a whole lot of competition. Anyway I knew they always dealt in guns because on the door is a sign that says concealed weapons welcomed. I had been in there before but not since I have been into collecting coins and looking for them.
I had sold some ham radio gear on ebay and wanted to find myself a brand new silver eagle, well none were to be found there. The guy had a small display case which is the only place I know that sells coins in the whole town and he was busy on the phone and selling guns while I was there and he told me "the case is open just go through it and I'll put you on the payroll (jokingly)." Well I went to looking he had mostly AG/G/VG Barber halfs, quarters and dimes and stuff like that, most was really worn some mercs etc. I figure any silver dollars or gold he keeps at home with his guns and does not sell. Well I saw a 1953 proof nickel that caught my eye. He had $2.50 on it, I thought well that's a good deal so I bought it, pictures are below, I see now its worth alot more than $2.50 especially if slabbed and graded :) I also bought a 1909 VDB wheatie for 14$ not an S mint but still a VDB :-/ I think it is worth it, also a 1985 proof quarter which looks beat up for proof (I think the PVC might have got it because the back looks alot nicer) a 1994 Iraqi 5 Dinar and then 7 steel pennies. You can tell he didn't care much about the coins because there were wheaties and steel's in the bottom of the glass display case loose. I will make another thread on the 1985 that was in the bottom of the case loose a little later once I take some pics, it looks steel but does not stick to a magnet, but does not look copper in anyway, but that will be another post. Anyway I am happy that I got a good deal out of a pawn shop dealer, he has a 1/2 dime in there for 30$ I don't remember the year but I think he either priced them a few years back or does not know all what he has.
Either way I'm going to play it cool and go back in there and see what else I can get for a good price......either way here are pics of the nickel, I just can't beleive he had 2.50 on it where it will sell for much more on ebay or elsewhere which I will just keep it for myself tho. Anyway just wanted to make a post and remind all to keep your eyes open in places and you never know what kind of great find you may get whether its int he ground or on top :-)

PS:: my dirt finds for the last day was a 1956 penny and a 2006 clad dime :-/ better than nothing :-) for 30 minutes in the yard.

Take care all and HH no matter if its at the pawn shop, bank, vending machine or the ground :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_3801 (Small).jpg
    IMG_3801 (Small).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_3796 (Small).jpg
    IMG_3796 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_3804 (Small).jpg
    IMG_3804 (Small).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 636
Please correct me if I am wrong in the redbook it shows 1953 (128,800) then 46 milllion then D is 59 mil , and 53S 19 mill which is only worth 2.00 but the 1953 no mints in the redbook show a PF-65 as 38$ and if I've seen a proof it sure does look like one, and compared to ebay it looks like one. Please let me know if I am mistaken but it looks like any other proof I have and compared to my redbook it looks like its one of the 128,800 let meknow if not, I wish I could get a little better pictures. Otherwise what is the 128,800 listed in the redbook right before the 46,644,000 next to the 1953, it does not have that by the other 2 listings......like I said it looks like any modern proof as well...... :?:

wheres the S?????? are you sure its a proof?

Sure looks nice to me for only 2.50 no matter if it were a proof or not.
I'd have snagged it up myself.
Good tips on finding stuff even in pawn shops, I never thought of that ;)
Didn't even know they may have coins.

Nice coin..I would guess someone separated a Proof set and sold them off individually..Looks nice and shiny, Just try not to handle it to much..Very nice find.

Yea I just decided to check it after lunch, I also looked at a couple of magazines I had just a minute ago and they show from 1950 through 67 looks like they were not always S like they are today for proofs at least for prf-65 grades they show no mint(P) then list D and S as regular coins, either way...I was really surprised, I think I'll go back in there and perhaps get his seated liberty's since they are pretty cheap, although I think he's pretty cheap on prices so I have to be careful not to tip him off :) I guess 1 out of 4(ha the last one was the good one as for pawn shops) worked out.
HH all and good luck!! :p

Sure looks nice to me for only 2.50 no matter if it were a proof or not.
I'd have snagged it up myself.
Good tips on finding stuff even in pawn shops, I never thought of that ;)
Didn't even know they may have coins.

Yea I just decided to check it after lunch, I also looked at a couple of magazines I had just a minute ago and they show from 1950 through 67 looks like they were not always S like they are today for proofs at least for prf-65 grades they show no mint(P) then list D and S as regular coins

Yes, Philadelphia made the proof coins from the beginning through 1964. Only in 1968 did San Francisco begin to make proofs for collectors. There are a few (rare!) exceptions to this rule. A 1953 proof nickel would have been made in Philidelphia.

WTG ! You never know what you'll find, or where you'll find it...many years ago I bought a mint condition Cook Islands memorial gold coin { Winston Churchill} from a pawn shop for $100..at the time gold was selling around $250/oz., and it's a half ounce coin..RR

it's not a proof any more you took it out of it's case. and i thought proofs came in plastic cases stuff like that .

Yes the 128,000 refers to the proof mintage for the year,but I can't find where they tell you that in the book.:?:

jruckman,the term 'proof' refers to the way the coin is minted,not necessarily the condition of the coin.The dies and planchets are specially prepared to make proof coins,and in the earlier years I believe they were all made in Philadelphia,hence no mintmark.

Also,the packaging was way different than it is today.

mindsweepur,Nice looking coin,by the way:)

Back
Top Bottom