Cold Weather Hunting Saftey

Brian28jersey

As we come close to the winter season and I start looking for a wetsuit, I would like to know if there are any other special cold weather water hunting precautions I should take. Is there anything different in the winter than the summer besides trying to stay warm? Should I not go as deep or how deep should I go (Not meaning for trinkets but for saftey)? Is the wave activity more hazodous (rouge waves) I live in New Jersey thanks for the imput.

Brian

I prefer waterhunting in the winter over summer because the sand moves out exposing older finds.

I don't use a wetsuit, its probably safer than the waders I use but that is my choice.

Last year I was in 35 degree water with my waders and gauntlet gloves and never felt the cold. I also use those face masks skiers use.

I go as deep as I can because thats where the best stuff tends to be.

A few water hunters I know use Farmer Johns but they look too bulky for my tastes.

In the winter you will obviously be wearing cold weather gear (wet / dry suit, etc). What you should not forget are the exposed areas such as face. Frostbite can occur without you knowing it. A biker or ski mask will help. For something really wierd, I still have an old motorcycle helmet and face shield. I was thinking of adapting it with headphone speakers for use in the surf. Take breaks occasionally. Bring a gear bag with a spare sweatshirt and something hot to eat or drink. A little vaseline on the upper lip or mustache will prevent frost forming. Keep you vehicle as close as possible.

Back
Top Bottom