Couch Patatoes and MDing

Oh... one more thing you pointed out here. It's DEFINITELY not as easy at it looks. Sometimes people ask me why don't I just go exercise or something. I ask them if they can do 100 squats an hour for 5 hours while swinging 5 pounds at arms length. That usually shuts them up. LOL

At 72 metal detecting is what keeps me going. With the recent bad weather I haven't been able to get out and it looks like I have gained some weight. I never do when I can detect. As for people I get tired listening to, I just put my headphones back on and pretend that I can't hear them even though I do. They usually take the hint and leave. I do enjoy talking to fellow detectors though. At least so far they haven't told me to leave.

I am 67 and have not been able to detect for a few months due to a back injury and I have gained some weight also. I hope to back out there soon.

Love this story.

Hello,
I am a newer person to metal detecting. I am 74 and have a hearing loss which sometimes is a good thing !! I get asked all the time if I found anything good. I try to be polite and tell them just a few modern coins like you get in today's change when you buy things, ( clad coins ). This answer is mostly truthful. If the person continues to ask more questions I tell them I have a bad hearing loss and didn't catch all they asked me. I continue to use this and eventually they get the idea. I also tell them it's not as easy as it looks and can get expensive if you want a good detector and other gear needed. I do mention that it takes time to learn your machine. This usually does the trick and they move on. There are many walking trails where I sometimes hunt so I see people all the time. Mostly they wave or say hello but I do get a pest sometimes. Just be polite and do not let them get to you. The expensive answer usually ends the questions !!! Good luck to all.
Bubbaron AT Pro and AT Carrot Pin Pointer, Whites Treasure Pro

:laughing::laughing: Genu! Yes its a all too common problem within this Sport! Invariably, Some "Know it all" shows up and tells you what you are doing wrong! Swinging coil too fast, too slow, too high, too low, not the right settings, wrong location, wrong digger and kneepads etc...

Sort of like having a free 'Hank Hill' evaluation! We have all had experiences and even neighbors like that!...You can turn this into a positive though...Once, the floor of my house was sagging, and it obviously needed somebody to go down into the underfloor spiderwebbery crawl space, jack up the joists, and shim everything up....

As I was about to commence on this project, had all my tools and gear, One of my 'Know it all' neighbors came over...said, "Whatcha Doing?" I said, "Well, my floor is sagging in the middle, so what I'm gonna do is take this shovel and dig out around underneath the outer foundation walls, and then the whole floor will settle out level!" :laughing:

Of course he immediately took over the project, crawled under my house, jacked up the joists, shimmed them all in perfect!.....True story! Big work avoiding secret in Life is to never appear to be the smartest guy in the room with the solution...Theres a Genius out there for every Dummy!...The trick is to never be the Genius!....Nobody expects a whole lot out of a Dummy! Thats why we have elections, to give the Dummys some project to keep them occupied! The Geniuses have all the easy solutions on the nightly news!..:laughing:

very valuable advice here. I made the mistake at work of knowing what was going on and being good at what I do. Now everyone comes to me for advice or help. They now think I have some sort of super powers and can do anything...the ridiculous requests I get make me wish I had just played the village idiot.

I had one of those 'know-it-alls' come up to me after I finished searching for an MP's lost car keys. The guy told me I was lifting the coil too high off the ground when I was swinging :lol:. He then kept going on about how he knows his stuff about prospecting because he owns several GPX 5000's and that he has found over $20k+ in nuggets at one of his leases (which may be true).

I didn't end up finding the keys (probably because my coil was 'too far' off the ground :laughing:) but it was still pretty cool to look for an important person's keys! :)

I had one of those 'know-it-alls' come up to me after I finished searching for an MP's lost car keys. The guy told me I was lifting the coil too high off the ground when I was swinging :lol:. He then kept going on about how he knows his stuff about prospecting because he owns several GPX 5000's and that he has found over $20k+ in nuggets at one of his leases (which may be true).

I didn't end up finding the keys (probably because my coil was 'too far' off the ground :laughing:) but it was still pretty cool to look for an important person's keys! :)

That makes sense (coil too far off the ground) if you're using a GPX500, and searching for 1/10th gram nuggets. You've got to be CLOSE. For car keys, though, or pretty much anything in a field? This guy didn't have a clue.

I do find it amusing when you see a tv law enforcement type swinging a detector in an upward arch, only getting close to the ground at the bottom of the swing.

Back
Top Bottom