cornfields and pastures good places to hunt?

machine72

Hello all I am new to the forum and metal detecting..Just was wondering if pastures and cornfields are good places to hunt i live in woodstock ct and my inlaws own like 70 acres of cornfileds,pastures, and woods.. some old stone walls are on the property also..I am thinking i will find alot of old farm junk but i am hoping there are some neat relics and some old coins there..Tell me what ya think thanks

The area along the field stone walls could potentially be productive. Those that built them could have possibly lost items, they could also be places where kids played on the walls.

The fields though I think would be a lot of effort without much to show for it. Unless there are old foundations or where old outbuilding may have been. In order to find good items, people must have spent time in the area in the past. A field with no other history than being planted or acting as pasture just not much chance of anything being lost in the area.

Dave

thanks davemd

Yeah that is what I thought but I guess it woud be a start..Also I just found out that there is a possible field behind my wife's parents house that used to be a emergency airfield for planes in World War 2 and there was a old small weather station they used as a command post so once the corn is chopped down I will check that out too. thanks for the info

If you can find a old picture of the air field, then you can cherry pick out the areas that will be more productive than radom searching. good luck.

hello and welcome to the forum

great area your in machine72 i detect there sometimes , your town has alot of history and i think any fields in your area could be very productive spots , do some research and you could find some great relics and coins . if ya get a chance, check out my album you'll see more than a few items from woodstock , best of luck to ya and maybe i'll see ya around . Dan

for sure! i love hunting crop fields and woods! once they harvest the fields and plow all the stubble under walk around and look for bits of broken glass,crocks and bricks laying in the dirt and hunt around there..also look for rises in the fields,high spots are always the first places i check out in fields. in the woods also look for high spots,look for depressions in the grounds where old wells may have been,and also look for exposed wells..but be very careful as old well can be very dangerouse and sometimes you never see them until your rite on em. here are some pics of old wells ive come across while hunting in the woods both exposed and covered up..like i say be careful around! and good luck.

Attachments

• PC060025.JPG
    PC060025.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 2,826
  • PC060028.JPG
    PC060028.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,881
  • well.JPG
    well.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,825
Those fields could also have been colonial battle sites.. not all were super famous battles.. or simply grounds where the troops camped... very good area you are living for old coins and relics. RickO

Hey Machine! im from brooklyn! welcome! im working on getting premission to hunt on the fiar grounds after the woodstock fair! we will have to team up if they let us ( i dont think it should be a problem)

shoot me a message some time! we can go hunting!

for sure! i love hunting crop fields and woods! once they harvest the fields and plow all the stubble under walk around and look for bits of broken glass,crocks and bricks laying in the dirt and hunt around there..also look for rises in the fields,high spots are always the first places i check out in fields. in the woods also look for high spots,look for depressions in the grounds where old wells may have been,and also look for exposed wells..but be very careful as old well can be very dangerouse and sometimes you never see them until your rite on em. here are some pics of old wells ive come across while hunting in the woods both exposed and covered up..like i say be careful around! and good luck.
Personally,I love MDing in the woods and around old home/farmsteads but you are oh so right about the wells...Most wells are located close to the main house so in the case of long abandoned areas one would want to take extra care around the field stone foundations that are left behind. In my area of the country,the earliest settlements didn't bother to dig conventional cellar holes but instead piled field stone on top of the ground for the sill of the house to set upon,in many cases those stones would be removed by later settlers to the area to build their own foundations/stone walls so there is no indication at all that the original house was ever there. Also,I've found open wells in the basements of very old buildings. I was doing a pest inspection in a early 1700's meeting house in a neighboring town about 15 years ago,I didn't see the open well and fell partially in scraping up a knee and elbow pretty good but got out OK. If you do feel your self falling the best advice I could give is to make your self as wide as possible,get your arms/legs out to your sides and hold on...Always be aware....Didn't mean to ramble on the subject but these things are potentially life threatening,especially if hunting alone.

I hunt the cornfield all the time. They are a great place to find a assortment of items. I find alot of 1700's george coins, buttons, musket balls, seals, crotal bells, arrowheads, indian tools, a few Reales, tokens, and other items..Every time they plow I go back and leave with something..

Corn fields are great to hunt. Look for pulloffs your family uses to get into and out of the fields. Most home site i have found are close to these. Also most houses are built on top of hills so look for pulloffs with a hill nearby! With that much land there has to be at least one house you dont know about that was there at one time. Put your machine in all metal when you start hitting a lot of iron you are there. Happy hunting!!! Look at some of my last few posts and these were found in fields!!!

Back
Top Bottom