Underground pipes

J

jrueger

I'm a newbie with metal detectors, so excuse the question. Can I actually use a metal detector to find things like underground water and gas pipes, electrical lines, and metal survey pins?
Thanks.

Probably someone on here who knows more than me, but yes, as long as they are metal and not too deep. Won't find PVC pipe or terracotta unless metal tape was buried with the line. Just guessing, but the average detector will pick them up at 12 inches at least, maybe more depending on the size. Metal survey pins are fairly easy, they are usually steel rebar, sometimes with an aluminum cap.

Welcome from North Carolina

If you're trying to locate them for construction, I would recommend to use the local free utilities locating service which locate all utilities at one time. In this state, if you dig without having the utilities located first (remember, it's free) you can be held liable for repair costs if you damage or cut their lines. Yes, it happens occasionally. Why? I don't know.

Locating metal pins would be a good application.

Good advice Randwool!

Here's a waterline that we drilled into a few years ago--it was over seven feet off the utility locate marks, so the locating company ate it.

Attachments

• I-635  006.jpg
    I-635 006.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 5,254
  • I-635 002.jpg
    I-635 002.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 5,274
Back
Top Bottom