Got my truck bed liner spray?

pepagirl

And now I want to use it! I bought Rust-o-leum and called the manufacturer to be sure it has no metal in its ingredients and got the green light from them. I read the directions and it says it needs to set for 72 hrs for maxium results (or something to that effect). For anyone that has sprayed their coils before, how long did you wait before using the detector after spraying? And did you apply more than one coat at once or do many coats over the course of hours/days? Thanks for the help! Plan on doing my first coat in the morning, but want to detect tomorrow so I just need some kind of guideline.

I think if you paint it, the warranty will be voided. Just thinking though, so you might want to check with some others about that.

I think if you paint it, the warranty will be voided. Just thinking though, so you might want to check with some others about that.

I had another member on here say they had contacted garret about it recently and they gave them the all clear, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear it from the horses mouth myself too. Thanks for the reply!

i've never used the rust-o-leum brand bedliner spray so i'd just go by what the directions say. i used duplicolor and it dried very fast (like 5 mins) and then i applied the next coat, i applied 3 coats to my coil (top,bottom and sides) after that i waited a good 12-15 hours before takin it out for a swing. make sure ya shake the can good before sprayin, maybe before sprayin the coil try and spray a piece of cardboard so ya get an idea of how thick the spray comes out and how far ya wanna hold the can away from the coil (do a test spray on something) once ya spray your coil make sure its not tacky when ya set it down or the liner could stick to whatever ya set it on and pull away and look like crap.
good luck and i'm sure it'll turn out great

yea i sent my AT pro head unit and coil to garrett for the upgrades and water test and told them that my coil was sprayed with the bedliner and asked if it voided any warrenty, they told me it did not void any warrenty on the coil as long as the bedliner didn't have a metalic base

yea i sent my AT pro head unit and coil to garrett for the upgrades and water test and told them that my coil was sprayed with the bedliner and asked if it voided any warrenty, they told me it did not void any warrenty on the coil as long as the bedliner didn't have a metalic base

Very well then, paint away Pep

Use a metal coat hanger, if you have one and hang the coil from it. Try to hang the coil from the coathanger in a way so that it doesn't "touch" the spot that you are spraying at that point in time. If you kinda get what I'm talking about. Hope that gives you SOME sorta idea on how to approach it. Personally, I would WAIT 24hrs period for each coat because once that stuff goes on... THERE AIN'T NO TURN'N BACK!!! So "tread" lightly and don't hasten the spray project. HH \_

p.s.
"No MEEETTTTAAAALLLLLL COOAATT HAAANNNGGGGGERRRRSSSS..." from the movie "Mommy Dearest" MAN what a classic... that was one psycho "Bioch" :hide:

i also did a quick google on the rustoleum bedliner and from the reviews it sounds like people liked it better then the duplicolor brand (atleast on truck parts) so that stuff should hold up very well for ya.

this is the stuff i used.....

Attachments

• Picture 133.jpg
    Picture 133.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,092
Use a metal coat hanger, if you have one and hang the coil from it. Try to hang the coil from the coathanger in a way so that it doesn't "touch" the spot that you are spraying at that point in time. If you kinda get what I'm talking about. Hope that gives you SOME sorta idea on how to approach it. Personally, I would WAIT 24hrs period for each coat because once that stuff goes on... THERE AIN'T NO TURN'N BACK!!! So "tread" lightly and don't hasten the spray project. HH \_

p.s.
"No MEEETTTTAAAALLLLLL COOAATT HAAANNNGGGGGERRRRSSSS..." from the movie "Mommy Dearest" MAN what a classic... that was one psycho "Bioch" :hide:

i also did a quick google on the rustoleum bedliner and from the reviews it sounds like people liked it better then the duplicolor brand (atleast on truck parts) so that stuff should hold up very well for ya.

this is the stuff i used.....

Coat hanger sounds like a good idea, I'll have to figure out where to hang it at though- no garage here. Maybe I can do it off my chain link fence?

I saw the dupli-color but the guy at Advanced had no idea if it had metal in it and didn't have a number to call. I'll let you know how well it works after I've sprayed. I'm gonna be too busy to MD during the week next week, so I think I'll wait until Tuesday to start and enjoy my weeked of free time carefully.

I use the Dupli-Color also. I usually give it one or two coats then just let it sit over night and its ready to go by the time i wake up.

the first coil i sprayed i just left the coil still on the detector and wedged the detector between a lawn chair so the coil was stickin up in the air:lol: i just used news paper and tape to cover the lower rod and most of the coil cable.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan! When I get around to doing it all post my experience and you can find out if I sprayed my hand stuck to the coil. LOL :lol:

:lol:...if ya wait til next week to spray your coil because your using your detector over the weekend just make sure ya clean your coil with soap and water before ya spray it.
good luck and have a fun weekend with your new machine

If you beach hunt coil covers are not the same and actually are a pain.
Here is how I do it every time. And I have done probably twenty coils.

I sand the coils with a medium grade sand paper. Bottom and sides. Not the top
Wipe them down with a dry rag to knock all the dust off.
Put painters tape over any decals.
Tape where the wire goes into the coil. Put the rest of the coil wire in a plastic bag. Tape the bag closed. You do not want to get spray on the wire. Or it will crack and look bad when the wire flexes.
Put the coil upside down on a cardboard box and make sure the wire and bag are off to the side.
Spray the bottom and sides. Three coats about 15 minutes between each one.
Let dry and harden for a couple of days.

Last edited:
pepagirl... I just thought of something... do all the sanding EXACTLY like goodmore says to do, but instead of taping, bagging etc, get a cardboard box and "punch" a hole (preferably a small hole as much as possible) through it just big enough for the coil wire to go through putting the search coil on the OUTSIDE BOTTOM SIDE of the box and lay the box on the ground. Thus, now the coil is like sitting on top of a "table", if you will, and the wire is, well, inside the box. MAYBE just put painters tape across the whole top and just around the "opening" where the coil goes into to avoid overspray, so maybe use a little bit of taping, again, as goodmore is stating. The point is is that now you do NOT have to worry about holding the damn thing and you can just LEAVE it there. If you want I will try to do a quick DEMO of pictures by tonight, but have NEVER "uploaded" pictures before :roll: I agree, I wouldn't do the top and this is one way to avoid spraying of the top, AND it has something to just lay on while it drys. I hope you get a picture of what I'm trying to describe. Again, let me know. I would do it now, but 1) don't have a box readily available, but can get one today after work 2) even if I did I can't because I have to GET READY for work... in either case, let me know if you want step-by-step pictures if you don't understand my ramblin'??? HH \_

the stuff i used on mine is called E-Z-Liner and it worked great! i cleaned and dried the coil (removed it from the shaft, lol) and gave it several applications, with about 5 minutes between sprays and 20 minutes after the last coat, i was swinging again! the E-Z dried quite fast and made a very durable finish.
i didn't spray the top, just the bottom and the sides. of course, it won't protect the coil from a very hard smash against a rock, but it's A-1 for those little accidental bumps.
i did notice one day after doing some beach hunting and tapping a few rocks, that it chipped a bit on the "corners" of the coil, so i removed any lose liner and re-applied to those areas, paying special attention to those areas of the coil. i haven't had any problems since then. :D

Pete

if ya use tape to mask anything off on the coil just be very careful when you remove the tape because the bedliner sticks to the tape and will start to pull the bedliner off during removal. i taped off the decals on the top of my coil and had to use an exacto knife or razor to cut a nice edge before removing the tape. in the past i didn't do this and when i pulled the tape off some of the bedliner also pulled off.

Back
Top Bottom