Garrett 250 vs. Tesoro Compadre Comparision

That1Guy

-----------
This is a comparision of the Garrett 250 vs. Tesoro Compadre detectors out of the box with stock coils, done by a newby using both detectors the same amount of time 40 hours on both) for anyone wanting to know a comparision of the two.

I'm sure there is some people who will draw different conclusions on there own experiences, but for me this is what I thought of the two detectors.

Discriminate: Garrett 250 Hands down, 250 was wayyy better at discriminating what I wanted to discriminate out.

Pinpointing: Tesoro Compadre No contest here X'ing with the Compadre was super easy and pretty freaking dead on.

Weight: Tesoro Compadre Compadre weighs like a feather, and you can swing it all day.

Target ID: Garrett 250 250's ID is freaking pretty dang good and is correct wayyy more times then wrong.

Target Depth ID: Draw 250 says 6" and it could be 1", Compadre can sound like a top soil target and be 3-4" deep.

Detector Construction: Garrett 250 250 just feels more sturdy to me and doesn't feel/look toyish.

Detection Depth: Garrett 250 Dug wayy more deeper targets with 250. 3-5" where common digs. 2-3" common with Compadre some 4"

Sensitivity: Tesoro Compadre Compadre is a beast at finding the smallest freaking things.

Battery Life: Tesoro Compadre Compadre battery lasts forever with headphones. 250 is not bad at all with headphones but did have to replace them once around 16 hours.

Tot Lots: Tesoro Compadre Not even close, Compadre's pinpoint and sensitivity just make tott lots a breeze to scan quickly.

Medium Trash Area: Garrett 250 250 just was soo much better in this element and with a hugely better discriminate and id feature, it just made it way easier.

Heavy Trash Area: Garrett 250 No comparision. read above.

Relic Hunting: Garrett 250 Again no comparision. Better Depth and Discrimination makes it no contest.

Beach Fresh Water: Draw Both seemed to work very well on the beach, with pinpointing being nullified by the sand scoop, makes for the draw.

Beach (Dry) Sand: Tesoro Compadre Was real close on this but I actually timed myself in a 30x30 patch of dry sand that was high high trash site and found that I was much much faster in digging and clearing with Compadre. Close but Compadre was easier.

Beach (Wet) Sand: Draw I thought both had issues in the wet sand, neither where aww inspiring in wet sand. I would highly suggest another detector for this role then try to stick with one of these two.

Jewelry: Draw Draw here because I can find smaller jewelry with Compadre, BUT I dig more to find jewelry with it. 250 may not be as sensitive but I have found 2 rings easily and with better depth equals the score.

Hopes this helps someone and again this is MY evaluation of the two and I did not take into my grading any of these factors:

Warranties
Purchasable Coils
Purchasable Accesories
Maker of the Detectors
Price

Just graded out of the box.

Thanks
John Wayne :tiphat:

Nice post. That's the message I've tried to convey between my Silver umax and the Ace. On the days I don't feel like getting serious, I like the ID feature on the Ace-ALSO I've learned to pinpoint while in motion with it, so some days it's just more FUN to use. Then, when I have plenty of time on hand I grab the umax, set the disc to min., and go to it. The pinpointing's almost instant and it doesn't take but a sec to pop out the target. I even think Steve will eventually end up with another one.:lol::lol:

Yeah pinpoint on Compadre is what I find to be a huge bonus, that and the next to nothing weight. The more I use it the more I grow to enjoy it.

Thanks for the comparison. I currently use a a Silver uMax and am considering getting an Ace 250 as well. This helps to get a good point of view on the Ace.

No problem MissLiz.

I think the 250 is a real good machine, and would be a good addition for you. its a good bang for the buck purchase.

i also have both detectors and i agree with what was said. i spent 20 hours in the same yard first with the compadre finding coins and buttons over 200 plugs easily. thought the yard was done and put the ace on it and found more coins.
so the depth is deeper for sure, if i had to only pick one at this point it would be the Ace for the display and depth.

I agree, a nice comparison. Although I've never used the Compadre, I have and still use both the Ace 250 and the Silver Umax. The Ace is a really fun detector and has yielded many finds, but for me the Silver is my favorite between the two. Remember, if you know the Ace better you will do better with it than the other and visa Versa. No detector by itself can replace user knowledge and practice.

Nice post! I am considering selling my equipment and getting a Compadre. I am needing the lightest machine that I can get that will still get me 4-6 inches of depth.

Thanks,
Doug

Nice comparision maybe you can update it after you've got much more time on both machines.

Will be doing a week of Salt Beach Hunting on both machines next week, will add that category to the list. The ratings on both the machines are still the same IMO and I now have close near 35 hours on both machines.

Nice post! I am considering selling my equipment and getting a Compadre. I am needing the lightest machine that I can get that will still get me 4-6 inches of depth.

Thanks,
Doug

I can get 4" pretty good and have gotten 5-6 on occasion but it is *NOT* the norm unless the site is clear of junk then you can hit 5-6" pretty much but you have to really listen for the deep targets or you will pass them up.

As for weight...this is like holding nothing, it is by far a super super super light machine, when I switch to the 250 it is like Night and Day when it comes to weight.

Last edited:
Bump for update grading dry and wet sand. I just got back from Atlantic City and tested both there.

Mr. Wayne (Duke): When you're not chasing comancheros you write good reviews. I liked what you did. A lot of work went into that.

OT

Nice review....I have the Ace 150 and found that it's a fun machine once you know what the dings are saying. The id is pretty much a crap shoot though. I've heard a lot of people picking up Compadres for it's sens. to gold.

I have both detectors : Tesoro (Laser) and ACE .
Although on air tests Tesoro has advantage over
the ACE, on the real ground conditions I think both
detectors do
very well on depht and sensivity.The ACE is very
sensitive to tiny targets too.
Tesoro has advantage in better discriminating iron though.
I would say that the price difference makes sense on this
last point.
Just my personal opinion. I will keep the ACE as a backup
MD though.;)
Ramm.

ACE 250 with ACE*s 350 DD coil makes also a big difference...

Attachments

• fotos y videos Uruguay Dic.  2012 126 X2.jpg
    fotos y videos Uruguay Dic. 2012 126 X2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,750
Back
Top Bottom