Tom Cruise hurt doing stunt for movie

Like Tom Cruise, I've also done my own 'stunts' all my Life! We used to do this kind of thing all the time when we were about 12yrs old...Growing up in Detroit in the 60's, it was a survival technique to get home from school and avoid the daily @ss kicking....What a guy did was, rush out of school and down the nearest alley, climb up onto a garage, then, you could run down the whole block jumping from one garage rooftop to the next! It was exactly like that arcade game 'Frogger, except if you missed a jump, or dilly dallied, your @ss was going to get beat in real Life!!':laughing:

It would be tough to do now, what with all the alleys and garages basically burnt down and out, lot of 'dead air' in between....But back then, no problem! A sprightly Lad up on a garage roof had the chance to repel any unwelcomed visitors 'King on the Raft' style...plus ripping off and throwing 3 tab shingles in an effort to discourage pursuit like some sort of asphault shurikin slinging Ninja at the gang of @ss beating reprobates...

Yeah, a guy could do quite well and get home safely with these roof hopping and shingle throwing skills..even vastly outnumbered, if a fellow held the high ground and was fleet of foot, willing to abandon one fortress and move on to the next, scatter and spread out your enemies into manageable portions... OK then..no trouble at all! Like an Urban form of Prepubescent Sun Soo 'Art of War' kind of dealie! Keep the Sun at your back and use the available terrain for your advantage! Like what Gandalf did at Helms Deep! :laughing:

I wouldnt even attempt it now though, just too much effort, and I aint as ascared of getting an @ss beating as I was back then for some reason....probably on account of the familiarity, a good @ss beating may do me some good even, like going to the Chiropractor without paying....The .38 snubbie I carry nowadays may have something to do with my reluctance for roofhopping and overall gravitational defying bravery..although, I can still throw a shingle shurikin and cut somebodies head off...and since my primary rig is only a 5 shot, shingle throwing skills may once again come in handy someday?

I'm still up on the roof quite a bit, even at my age, to clean the gutters and wash the skylights and patch up woodpecker holes in the chimney, but its just not the same...Plus, No safety cables like that pretty boy Tom Cruise has!....

Not only that..I will never forgive him for the heartache he put Elisabeth Shue through in 'Cocktail'...or rogering Kelly McGillis in 'Top Gun'..that there just aint right...so yeah, good post! Finally he missed a jump and got slammed right in the heart like he did to them! I think they were both good girls that he ruined....FWIW, I'da knocked him right off His Schwinn Apple Crate with a shingle back in the 60's, or kicked his @ss at the end of the block after wiping out his gang in the alley, definitely straightened out his crookitty ast teeth and realigned his twisty asst nose for free for making fun of autistic people in 'Rainman'...

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Like Tom Cruise, I've also done my own 'stunts' all my Life! We used to do this kind of thing all the time when we were about 12yrs old...Growing up in Detroit in the 60's, it was a survival technique to get home from school and avoid the daily @ss kicking....What a guy did was, rush out of school and down the nearest alley, climb up onto a garage, then, you could run down the whole block jumping from one garage rooftop to the next! It was exactly like that arcade game 'Frogger, except if you missed a jump, or dilly dallied, your @ss was going to get beat in real Life!!':laughing:

It would be tough to do now, what with all the alleys and garages basically burnt down and out, lot of 'dead air' in between....But back then, no problem! A sprightly Lad up on a garage roof had the chance to repel any unwelcomed visitors 'King on the Raft' style...plus ripping off and throwing 3 tab shingles like some sort of asphault shurikin at the pursuing gang of @ss beating reprobates...

Yeah, a guy could do quite well and get home safely with these roof hopping and shingle throwing skills..even vastly outnumbered, if a fellow held the high ground and was fleet of foot, willing to abandon one fortress and move on to the next, scatter and spread out your enemies into manageable portions... OK then..no trouble at all! Like an Urban form of Prepubescent Sun Soo 'Art of War' kind of dealie! Keep the Sun at your back and use the available terrain for your advantage! Like what Gandalf did at Helms Deep! :laughing:

I wouldnt even attempt it now though, just too much effort, and I aint as ascared of getting an @ss beating as I was back then for some reason....probably on account of the familiarity, a good @ss beating may do me some good even, like going to the Chiropractor without paying....The .38 snubbie I carry nowadays may have something to do with my reluctance for roofhopping and overall gravitational defying bravery..although, I can still throw a shingle shurikin and cut somebodies head off...and since my primary rig is only a 5 shot, shingle throwing skills may once again come in handy someday?

I'm still up on the roof quite a bit, even at my age, to clean the gutters and wash the skylights and patch up woodpecker holes in the chimney, but its just not the same...Plus, No safety cables like that pretty boy Tom Cruise has!....

Not only that..I will never forgive him for the heartache he put Elisabeth Shue through in 'Cocktail'...or rogering Kelly McGillis in 'Top Gun'..that there just aint right...so yeah, good post! Finally he missed a jump and got slammed right in the heart like he did to them!

I was born in Toledo Oh.
My folks moved us to Tn when I was 4 years old.
What you refer to, is primary reason why.

I never had to do any roof jumping in Tn.
Did have to give a few bullies an azz whipping though.
They didn't expect it either.
Called their bluff and snuffed them out big time.

Well it could have been worse. He's got enough money to take a week or so off to recuperate.
Back when he was filming the movie Days of Thunder , they did some of the filming on the road I lived on. It was a real curvy dead end rd . At the time I was an OTR truck driver. I was coming home one day from the road, I was driving my ole cab over freight shaker, coming into one of the sharpest curves on the road, some meathead comes flying around the curve in my lane. Luckily , for him, he was able to pull out of my lane just before the splat. I was able to see the wide eyed fool as he whipped it over and around my rig. Yep, it was ole Tommy boy, seen him clear as day. I almost wished he hadn't have made it safely around me , might could have gotten a movie star gig out of the deal. :laughing: oh well, that was 20 something years ago , maybe he's starting to feel the age creeping up on him and starting to realize he can't do what he used to be able to do. He might have to take up watching movies , rather than making movies.

I was born in Toledo Oh.
My folks moved us to Tn when I was 4 years old.
What you refer to, is primary reason why.

I never had to do any roof jumping in Tn.
Did have to give a few bullies an azz whipping though.
They didn't expect it either.
Called their bluff and snuffed them out big time.

Same here! My Folks moved us into a sleepy Ohio farm village after the Detroit Riots!...We were right in there! My hard earned Detroit roof hopping and Hand to Hand combat self defense skills were no longer needed or tasked daily...Certainly valuable though, muscle memory I suppose..I began hunting bullies as a hobby throughout HS just to stay in shape....

Nobody would throw down on these guys! They did as they pleased and picked on the weakest, took advantage...I found it odd? It was a satisfying hobby becoming sort of local Super Hero to the weak and oppressed...Hell, I was just looking for any excuse to really kick @ss! I had a lot of pent up anger from running away on alley rooftops I suppose..so I went out for Football of course....

Thinking back ...the last time I really punched a guy? Really opened up and let fly?...I guess it was in 1981! Its a good story though...I guess in my old age and maturity I have taken on my previous 'avoid and evade' kind of strategy..which is probably good, since an old guy only has so many teeth to lose, and I dont have Dental....:?:

I aint very big or strong, my only saving grace is that I'm left handed, married 38yrs to a Polish Woman and henchforth, not ascared of nothing, righteous indignation co-efficient basis..and also have a heavy bone noggin that can take a hit or two without any kind of detrimental effect...If I got my dander up, I can really land Ol' Lefty from the floor and lift an incalcitrant bully right out of their Buster Browns!..teeth flying out all over the floor like a box of spilled chicklets....

In fact, climbing up and watching the Eclipse from an East Detroit garage rooftop might be some kind of strange and exciting idea? Laying out comfortable safe and sound on a nice ergonomic and comfortable 4 pitch alley garage rooftop? Or maybe when some Bum under the overpass tries to steal my last can of Sterno? These skills I have will come in handy again? A guy has to have something to look forward to right?:laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom