Advice on Whites M6

Twinlakes91

I recently purchased a Whites M6 and wondered if anyone on the board has experience with this model. I have had it out bout 3 times and am starting to get used to it.
I am reading where different coils will get me better performance and was wondering what a good choice might be. My main hunting would be parks, beach's, and school yards.
I really like the pin pointing and the tone discrimination M6 offers. I could use some help with some of the tones, and also the settings for soils that are especially high in junk iron. I appreciate the help! ;)

I suggest a small DD coil for trashy areas. I don't have a M6, but that was the first addition I made after purchasing the MXT.

Tin Nugget has provided the White's link above. There are other aftermarket coils for the most popular. I'd suggest a quick call to one of our forum sponsors to see what they recommend for your area and situation. Most dealers carry the White's coils as well as others.

Respectfully,

John

I have both the M6 and MXT. If you're in an area with lots of trash or iron, you'll definitely want to pick up the Excelerator 4.5"x7" or White's 3"x6" coils. They helped me to find a lot of nice coins and jewelry in trash infested areas.

I have both the M6 and MXT. If you're in an area with lots of trash or iron, you'll definitely want to pick up the Excelerator 4.5"x7" or White's 3"x6" coils. They helped me to find a lot of nice coins and jewelry in trash infested areas.
I use the Excelerator 4.5" x 7" on my MXT.

Thanks to all for your feedback. I really appreciate your time.
What I mean by the tones is that, with my Whites 50002D I listened for the broken or garbled tone with the discrimination. With the tone discrimination on the M6, It is a bit different, I guess? Correct me if i am wrong but, I want to listen to High and Low tones with the toggle discrimination?
Then with the SENS, I was in an old school yard where I was picking up loads of iron trash, with the sens set at the pre-set triangle level. I turned that down alot, counter clockwise, and I hardly was picking up any iron but I still picked up a clad dime. ( was I sacrificing other good targets when I turned the sens way down? )

I guess I am gonna have to get used to it more. I really love the detector, and want to master the settings and tones.
The school yard I am detecting now is an old school that has been re-modeled. It dates back to the early 1900's. I have picked up a couple of wheat backs and a brass horse head, so I really do not think it has been detected yet. I really think that I have a great location with this school yard to master the M6.
I hope I made myself clear. I can use all the advice that folks can give me. Especially from other M6 users out there,,,,,gary;)

At the first preset your going to pick up much more junk but wont lose nickels, at the second preset your going to lose nickels and some pull tabs.
You probably already know, you can leave the toggle in the foward position and hunt with tone ID.
As others have suggested, replace the stock coil for a smaller one like the 5.3 eclipse or one of the oval ones, I think theres a few different oval sizes, theres something like a 6 x 9 and one that is smaller. I have the 5.3 eclipse. A smaller coil will separate targets better but you sacrifice some depth, but it doesnt matter that much.

I run the desc at about 9 oclock with tone ID and senc as high as I can get it and still run smooth. I will sacrifice a little more noise for the extra depth. Listen for the high tone even if they are very faint. With the 6x10 or the 4x6 DD coils you can separate the good targets for the crud once you get a good hit. As far as nickles go, I have found that about 99% of the time a nickle will hit a solid 18 on the VDI. Higher or lower are pull tabs. If its gold your looking for you gonna have to dig all solid signals. I have found most of my gold ring in the 10 to 14 VDI range, but you are gonna dig a lot of tabs. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom