Whites prizm iv problem

Bajanick

Elite Member
Ive got a whites prizm iv. When I slightly tap the coil on the ground or grass (no matter where) it gives off a beep and a signal as if its locating some target. I thought maybe there could be a short in the coil, but when I tap the coil while holding it in the air it does not respond.
Is this normal for the prizm series?
My M6 and MXT do not do this.

Thanks.

I dont know about Tapping, but if the coil bumps into the ground, it will false on almost every detector i have used.

Tapping the coil on the grass shouldn't sound the detector off. Try lowering your sensitivity alittle bit and see if it cures the problem. There could be a problem with your detector or coil, if you have or can borrow a different coil I would try it and see if it fix's the problem. Steve.

If theres a short it should signal when it is bumped weather its on the ground or not, shouldnt it?
I have never had a detector that did this before, I cant find a replacement coil for it except on the whites website, I dont want to buy a new coil unless I am sure the coil is the problem.
Will an M6 or MXT coil work on the prizm?
I didnt see anything on the whites website stating they will so they probably wont.

If theres a short it should signal when it is bumped weather its on the ground or not, shouldnt it? - Yes you are right.

Is this detector new and has it done this right from the get go or has it worked fine at first then started acting up after you have had it for awhile. You can wiggle the coil wire at the coil and see if it beeps and also wiggle the coil wire where it goes into the housing and see if it beeps. Do you have the coil wire wrapped fairly snug on the lower shaft, some detectors are so sensitive that they can detect the coil wire moving. One other thing that I can think of is possibility a small piece of conductive material got in between the coil and the coil cover (if you are using a coil cover that is). You might want to give White's a call and run the problem by them & see what they say -
White's Electronics, Inc.
1011 Pleasant Valley Road
Sweet Home, Oregon 97386
Phone # 1-800-547-6911

The MXT/M6 coil will NOT work with the Prizim.

It sounds like your sensitivity may be too high...try lowering it a couple of notches and see what happens.

John

I turned down the sensetivity and it does not do it, but what good is that if it cant run at max sensetivity? This is a very erratic and almost unusable machine anyway.
Thanks for the help.

I turned down the sensetivity and it does not do it, but what good is that if it cant run at max sensetivity? This is a very erratic and almost unusable machine anyway.
Thanks for the help.
If I max out the sens. on my detector it becomes alittle erratic. I only have to turn it down a very small bit to make it stable. I like the idea of having a detector that is "nervous" at full bore, to me it is saying I have the power, even more power than needed. Kind of like having a sports car - even though the speed limit is only 55 mph it is nice to know you have the extra horse power if needed. If you have to turn down the sens. alot there very well could be something interfering with your detector or possibly a problem with your detector. Turning down the sens. alittle bit should do the job. Good luck with it. Steve.

The Prizms have a preset GB and it sounds like the GB is set to positive for your ground. To test this just bob the coil up and down over a clean piece of ground in both the discriminate mode as well as the pinpoint/all metal mode and if you get a beep in disc. mode or strong loud threshold response in all metal/pinpoint as the coil nears the ground then it is set to positive.

Thanks for the help.
I noticed that you have a MXT. It's a very high gain (sensitivity) machine, and as you know can be a real chatterbox. Do you run IT on max gain?

Regards your Prizim, I'd suggest sending it back to Whites and asking them to make the internal adjustments to the sensitivity scale. I've seen the adjustment process described somewhere on the web, but White's will likely perform it for free.

Respectfully,

John

Setting sensitivity

I use a Prizm IV. I find that some sites with heavy mineralization cause me this problem too.

Here's what I do.

To find the correct maximum sensitivity for those sites, find a target free area. I then bob the coil up (about 4") and down (close to the ground without touching) while slowly lowering the sensitivity from max, until I don't hear any feedback from the ground. I'm then ready to detect without any false signals.

Could just be that your sensitivity is a little to hot for the ground your in.

Hope this makes sense :D It works for me.

I went out this morning and it was doing the same thing (sounding off when i tap it on the ground) no matter what the sesentivity was set at. Then it started to sound off wildly just from holding it the air.
I will give those adjustments a try if I can find a tool to use.

Thanks everyone for the info and help.

Back
Top Bottom