Upgrading... Best bang for the buck under $1000

VTX

Ok, I'm learning.
I would like to hear from every and anyone that has used or owned the different detectors out there that sell new for under $1000.00 More like 500-700
I hear good things about the Tesoro and Minelab and Garrett detectors.

My hunting will be done on dry land mostly for coins and relics.
Please help an old man,
Gordon.

AT Pro all the way. Fairly light and great target separation and deep. Also waterproof for hunting in the rain. :)

G2M

For the bottom end of your price range, AT Pro all the way. Great machine for the price, reliable, and water proof.

Middle of your price range, I would say a used SE Pro from Minelab. Great machine, but slowly showing its technological age compared to the newer minelabs. Great midprice machine to learn the Minelab "language".

Hi end of your price range, used Minelab Etrac. Great machine and they are more commonly coming onto the market for a decent price.

Hope this helps,

Greg

I agree with GStout, but it depends on what you are wanting. It's like saying you have 50,000 for a new vehicle, which is best? Your hunting style, ability to process info, way you like your machine to sound, speed of your sweep, are all going to play into a machine that works for you. It is OK to adapt around a machine, but finding one that really suits your style is a lot more enjoyable. Find people around you, if you can, that have machines you are interested in, and see if you even like the feel of them or how they act. Newer/bigger/fancier isn't always better for all.

look at the teknetics T2se...the best relic coinshooter out there!!!

I'll 2nd that! And I have a CTX3030 and owned an Etrac, SE Pro, and an AT Pro. The T2 is a killer detector.

The SE Pro was the deepest Minelab I've ever owned. Not sure why. My buddies SE Pro hit a lot harder on an ultra deep Barber Dime than my CTX3030 did. It was an eye opener.

Ok, I'm learning.
I would like to hear from every and anyone that has used or owned the different detectors out there that sell new for under $1000.00 More like 500-700

Please help an old man,
Gordon.

I second the SE pro. Great machine!

Holler if you have question on any of them. Love to help you!

If you want one in the 500-700 dollar range look at the xterra 705 it is a awesome machine. Many people like to compare it to the AT Pro but to me I think it stands alone it is a great machine. It is light weight only 2.9 lbs you can run it on 3 different frequencies just by changing the coil. Some people complain that if you buy more coils you get into the range of the SE Pro but I have to say who doesn't really get different coils to help get the most out of there detector. I would say get the gold pack with the 18.75 khz DD coil that will work well in finding gold and have awesome separation. Then look for the stock 9in 7.5 khz in the classifieds because more people sell that one then the other coils and you can usually get it for 125 or under used. There is a guy on here with the name longhair he is a master at the 705 pm him and ask him about it if you want to go the 705 route

When you are considering these, I suggest that you think about ergonomics - which ones will allow you to go longer and with less fatigue. I also recommend that you make sure that you have a smaller coil and a larger coil (usually the default, but not always) - nothing is more frustrating than trying to take an 11" coil into a busy park.

As of today, I'm zoning in on the X-Terra 705.
I got a great (I think) price quote from a dealer of $629. New shipped.
How's that sound?
Obtw, thanks to all for the great advice.

I like the gold pack coil it has very nice separation of targets and it is a DD coil you can always find the stock coils online used

Ok, I'm learning.

Please help an old man,
Gordon.

I got an ATpro for christmas and it is awesome. Relic, coins dry and wet salt sand. I was really surprised. Turn on and go. Really like it.

When you are considering these, I suggest that you think about ergonomics - which ones will allow you to go longer and with less fatigue. I also recommend that you make sure that you have a smaller coil and a larger coil (usually the default, but not always) - nothing is more frustrating than trying to take an 11" coil into a busy park.

LOL TopD. I love your signature line.
Well done.

Back
Top Bottom