tesoro conquistador umax or...?

Rugith

I'm looking at buying my first detector. I'm looking right around the 200 dollar range. I've checked out the Garrett ace 250, Fisher f22, Teknetics eurotek, and Tesoro compadre. If anyone wants to give their inputs on those(am I asking to beat a dead horse?) feel free. I today found a used tesoro conquistador umax . I can take the thing home for 170. What did these things retail at new? how long ago were they discontinued and why? would you guys buy this used conquistador over one of the new ones I mentioned first? Does anyone have experience with customer service from Tesoro on a product that your not the original owner? There is a light scuff on the back of the coil(as seen in picture) will this affect its performance? Thanks for any and all information =D

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-03-21-20-56-40.jpg
    Capture+_2017-03-21-20-56-40.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,296
That could be a good deal? Hard to say. You really need
To test it out to know if it needs a tune up or not.
I started out with the compadre and don't regret it!
Super simple machine that does things others can't.
It will always fill a needed spot even when you move on
to higher end machines. I'd advise the smaller coil personally.
You can work right next to fences and find things next
to metal poles in playgrounds. Great machine to learn on IMO.
And you can't beat the lifetime warranty.

Noah

Not sure about the Compadre, but I would save up a few more bucks and just get a new Tesoro Mojave. From what I see a great machine.

Not sure about the Compadre, but I would save up a few more bucks and just get a new Tesoro Mojave. From what I see a great machine.

:thumbsup: +1

Unless you are buying used, the Mojave is the way to go for an extra $50 a more versatile and deeper detector.

Should have added that to my previous post.
If you can up the budget the Mojave is the best deal going.
If not the compadre will serve you well.

Noah

Conquistador...maybe..

I'm looking at buying my first detector. I'm looking right around the 200 dollar range...I today found a used tesoro conquistador umax . I can take the thing home for 170. What did these things retail at new? how long ago were they discontinued and why? would you guys buy this used conquistador over one of the new ones I mentioned first? Does anyone have experience with customer service from Tesoro on a product that your not the original...

Since you're not the original owner, Tesoro will charge you $50 to check it out and make sure it's working properly. They're really good to deal with and will make you happy.

There were two versions of the Conquistador, an early and a later one. I believe both retailed for $399 new. Most people prefer the later one (plastic face), as the earlier one was known to have a glitch whereby turning the disc knob, somehow had also an effect on ground balance (from memory). Supposedly, the later version didn't have that issue. I believe that since you're refering to it as "umax", and that you're showing the 9x8 concentric coil, then it's probably the later glitch-free version.

If it's a later plastic face version with speaker slats instead of holes, it could be a great detector, if it's in good working condition. The first version came out in 2000, and was updated about a year later. I think Conquistador was only available for a few years, then replaced by the Cibola when it came out in 2004.
$170 is a fair price for one that's in very good shape. If you can get it for less (like $150), consider buying it...
The scuff shown on top of the coil shouldn't cause any problem in use.

As others have mentioned though, the Mojave is only $250 new. It works great and for that price, comes with a lifetime warranty. In the long run, I think it's a better deal than a 15 year old Conquistador without a warranty. I've never had a Conquistador, but do have other Tesoros from that same period (Eldorado, Bandido II μmax, Silver Sabre μmax, Cutlass II μmax), and they all still work great.
Also have a new Mojave and it works very well too...and has a new Tesoro warranty. Get the Mojave... Hope that helps.

There also is a difference of the frequencies used in the toggle change from the older conquistador to the second conquistador. It's not much of a frequency change but apparently it was changed to a higher frequency for a reason ? I had to drill my 9x8 coil for my silver sabre II as well. If it works as well on the conquistador as it does for my sabre, its a good move drilling it out. The 9x8 will outshine the 8" donut which is also a very good coil as well in my opinion.

Thank you everyone for you posts. and sorry for the delayed response.

After reading the replies and some more research I really wanted a mojave, but I ended up buying the compadre so I could also afford a Garret pro Pointer AT. I've been out three days now and have dug a lot of trash. coolest thing I have found yet has been a ninja star haha. Wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom