Handle, jimmy-rig, rebar rabbit hole...

rfaatalrashid

Yeah this is a rabbit hole, but im gonna chase it until i get to the bottom, or until i get a reason why.

So topos for this site showed 2 structures from 1904 to 1953. Nothing post 53 to 70. Imagery from 70 showed open land w appx 5 trees big enough to be seen by sat). Now it's in a new woods, behind a development started in mid 80's. I was searching in all metal for a while looking for iron foundation droppings, nothing significant to report. Near the base of the largest tree (all old roots still exposed, no fill anywhere) were the last set of beeps of the day, comin in at around nickel.

Basically this whole thing is some type of rigged contraption holding on to a deep rebar piece. The top of the guidewire/handle piece was about 2 inches down. This handle on the top of a long bolt, bolted together in an L bracket sandwich with a topper to a piece of rebar. The rebar by itself then went way down into clay, literally in the middle of a tangled triangle of three wrist-sized roots to the adjacent tree. The roots and darkness stopped my dig. The bottom is now about deep as my lower leg. If someone can give a plausible construction answer as to why someone would jimmy-rig a handle together onto a piece of rebar and then bury it...I won't have to dig to China lol..

For reference, the pics series attached zoomed out to zoomed in, n came out sideways sorry

20161210_165746.jpg20161210_165202.jpg20161210_165209.jpg20161210_165217.jpg20161210_165235.jpg20161210_165309.jpg20161210_165331.jpg20161210_165500.jpg20161210_165808.jpg20161210_165546.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No appreciable water in area, like...anywhere lol

Or if you just meant the hardware, still why make a handle contraption to securely hold onto a piece of rebar that deep? Wth would it be holding onto at the bottom?

Hmm. Wouldn't a bridge topo symbol be different than just a black structure square tho? N lightning conductor thing....I have no idea. I'm frikkin lost now. Sometimes too much intel is bad lol

I thought utility poles were just driven deep in. They need cabling?

Dang. Ok thx. Case solved, now I can put it to rest.

Pay attention next time you drive down the road. Almost any time the lines make a turn, or the road does, or the terrain is sloped, there will be support cables.

Guy anchors...

But guy wires are usually "floating" or insulated from the rest of the hardware..

But the find above looks more like it's meant for lighting protection, with the conductive wire grounding clamp..

It could also be used for utility pole lightning protection..

But not necessarily a regular guy anchor..

<°)))>{

Looks like the anchor or base of a windmill, was there any indication of a capped well or any farm buildings close?

Topos from 53 back to 04 showed 2 structures, I guess could have been farm buildings idk. Those were what I was looking for originally. N idk about a well, idk the indicators to look for other than a hole or concrete shaft/cap lol

Id go with the telephone pole wire...i have one like it 500 feet from where im at

Guy anchors...

But guy wires are usually "floating" or insulated from the rest of the hardware..

But the find above looks more like it's meant for lighting protection, with the conductive wire grounding clamp..

It could also be used for utility pole lightning protection..

But not necessarily a regular guy anchor..

<°)))>{

The insulator is always part of the cable run. This is just the anchor. There could have been an insulator in the run, or there might not.

Back
Top Bottom