CT metal detecting laws

Glad you taught Curt not to. Especially junk jewelry:shock::laughing:

Totally going off track here but Curt embarrassed me when I took him to one of my spots... I see him dancing as he is walking over towards me only to open his hand and show me a junker ring... his first ring... I told him one doesn't dance for junk :lol:

Totally going off track here but Curt embarrassed me when I took him to one of my spots... I see him dancing as he is walking over towards me only to open his hand and show me a junker ring... his first ring... I told him one doesn't dance for junk :lol:

Only way you'll see me dancing is if I wind up having a seizure from detecting a shallow beercan:lol: I did have a lady walk off with a Tungsten ring once I got back. That's why if anybody thinks they get a gold hit and someone is looking down at your dig, walk off and go back when they walk away from it. She walked it up to about 15 people and half were saying that it was thiers. After I said it was about 50 cents in junk they lost interest:lol:

I have heard that scenario quite a bit...

Another thing we md'rs have to keep in mind: Is that while it's clear to US that it was "lost". And we may THINK that "certainly the person knows they lost it", yet: You'd be surprised how often someone simply doesn't know, at which point in a day(s) that something went missing.

Eg.: they look down at their hand one evening, and all-of-the-sudden realize they don't have their ring. They don't necessarily know if it went missing while they were at the mall ? Perhaps they think they might have taken it off at the gas station bathroom, and placed it on the sink when washing their hand? Or did they loose it at the beach they stopped at that day ? Did they leave it on the hotel night-stand the night-before and perhaps the cleaning maid took it ?

Their mind races as they try to retrace their steps. And in their-minds eyes, they don't know if it's lost, or stolen or what.

Another thing we md'rs have to keep in mind: Is that while it's clear to US that it was "lost". And we may THINK that "certainly the person knows they lost it", yet: You'd be surprised how often someone simply doesn't know, at which point in a day(s) that something went missing.

Eg.: they look down at their hand one evening, and all-of-the-sudden realize they don't have their ring. They don't necessarily know if it went missing while they were at the mall ? Perhaps they think they might have taken it off at the gas station bathroom, and placed it on the sink when washing their hand? Or did they loose it at the beach they stopped at that day ? Did they leave it on the hotel night-stand the night-before and perhaps the cleaning maid took it ?

Their mind races as they try to retrace their steps. And in their-minds eyes, they don't know if it's lost, or stolen or what.

Again... similar story happened last year my friend was detecting his home beach and a women frantically came up to him telling him she lost her ring when she was shaking out her blanket.. he searched for quite a while then suggested she check her car seats or under them or at home... they had exchanged numbers in case he found it.. she called him and told him she found it in the refrigerator :roll:

Again... similar story happened last year my friend was detecting his home beach and a women frantically came up to him telling him she lost her ring when she was shaking out her blanket.. he searched for quite a while then suggested she check her car seats or under them or at home... they had exchanged numbers in case he found it.. she called him and told him she found it in the refrigerator :roll:

Yup. I've heard that scenario.

Or how about the case in the news where a young couple found a diamond ring in a store parking lot. The stone was so big, they naturally assumed it was costume jewelry. So it sat on their night-stand for a few weeks.

Till one day, curiosity got the better of them, and they decided to take it a jeweler to find out if the stone was real. And if so, "how much is it worth ?" The local jeweler was not a gemologist, so he told the couple to "leave it here, and the travelling gemologist comes through this part of the county a few times per month. I'll have him take a look at it when he comes by here in a few days"

A few days later, the gemologist looked at under his scope. And realized something looked earily familiar. He checked his records, and found that he'd gotten a fax (that had been sent out to all gemologists, pawn shops, buy-sell-trade places, etc...) about this. The ring was reported stolen, and stone was some super valuable $20k diamond (or whatever).

The young couple was set up in a sting operation to come to the jewelry store, and FBI sprung from hiding and put the cuffs on them ! They tried to explain they only "found" it, and weren't trying to "hawk" it. But it looked pretty damming, because they'd asked things previously like "how much is it worth?".

Eventually the cops believed their story. And it turns out, the owner (a travelling business-women who'd only been passing through that town) had indeed simply lost it in the parking lot. And it hadn't been "stolen". But she wasn't clear on WHEN it had gone missing, so she'd thought perhaps "stolen" the night before by the hotel cleaning lady, or some such scenario. So when she'd gone to make an insurance claim, they required a police report. And in such cases, I guess the police just say "lost/stolen" (since it's not known exactly).

And the insurance company, not wanting to be on-the-hook for such a large payout, had enlisted private investigators, which had put out "BOL's" for it, etc....

Bottom line is: there's a case where someone assumes "stolen", when in fact, it was simply fumble fingers.

thanx for the link to the yester-year thread of the same theme/question.

And John W.H.'s observations in that post are correct: That once you cut through all the fluff and high-sounding words, what it *really* amounts to, is the age-old saga of "yes but you can't dig".

Well when you think about it, even with "metal detecting" removed from the conversation, I can't think of ANY park in the entire USA, that .... if you waltzed into city hall and said "Hi, can I dig in the park please?", that they'd say "yeah sure".

Reminds me of a guy who went into San Francisco park's dept. for "permission to metal detect" about 15 yrs. ago. Someone told him: Sure go ahead. Then a few weeks later, he realized he'd forgotten to get that person's name, who'd given him that green-light. So he returned to the same desk to get the name to carry. But this time, someone else was manning the desk.

He tried asking the current fellow what the other fellow's name was, but ... turns out numerous people take turns manning the desk, so the current fellow did not know exactly who the md'r had previously talked to. So he tells the md'r "what is it that you wanted to know, and maybe I can help you?" So the md'r repeats the same exact question. The desk clerk gleefully answers: "yes but you can't dig". :roll: (even though NO mention was ever made of "digging" in the question).

And now, 15 yrs. later, the parks of SF continue to be hunted ad-naseum, and no one cares (so long as you're not being a nuisance, leaving holes, wearing neon orange, etc...). Moral of the story ? Ask a silly question, and you'll get a silly answer.

thanx for the link to the yester-year thread of the same theme/question.

And John W.H.'s observations in that post are correct: That once you cut through all the fluff and high-sounding words, what it *really* amounts to, is the age-old saga of "yes but you can't dig".

Well when you think about it, even with "metal detecting" removed from the conversation, I can't think of ANY park in the entire USA, that .... if you waltzed into city hall and said "Hi, can I dig in the park please?", that they'd say "yeah sure".

As I have said previously I have hunted parks designated "Historic" I asked for permission from a Historical Society of this town not only that they gave me a list of other area's I could hunt... I have 3 spots pending right now to hunt with permission... I know when and when not to open my mouth and what to say...

There is some public lands where metal detecting is specifically banned by name.

start here:

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=417480

Sec. 10-390. Penalty. (a) No person shall excavate, damage or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological or sacred site on state lands or within a state archaeological preserve unless such activity is in accordance with the terms and conditions of a permit issued under section 10-386 or in the case of an emergency.

If you dig deeper they give the definition of "archaelogical" to include any stone foundations.

Yeah... I see people with youtube videos digging foundations on state land, and on most out of the way places where nobody is around.... it should not be a problem. But as I posted above, with a link to the exact regulation, it is illegal and I would not go throwing it up all over youtube.

There is a list of parks that go above and beyond the regulation I posted above and they made a point to specifically ban metal detectors.

I will try to find the list and link it here, im out of time right now and the state does not make these rules easy to find. One of the parks in our area is gay city state park.

Back
Top Bottom