Silver uMax and Larger coil...Need some help

MichiganBob

For the Silver that I have I was thinking of getting a 9x8 or the 12x10 concentric coil. Just a little confused on which one to get. I hunt fairly clean areas (not to much junk) Can anyone here tell me the pro/cons of each and help me to deside which would be better?

The larger coil will cover more ground faster and will go a bit deeper, but you may loose some sensitivity to small targets and a large coil is hard to use in trashy areas due to masking.

Jim

Hi Bob I had a 9x8 concentric coil on one of the Silver uMax's that I used to have. To my surprise I didn't notice any real depth gain. I have never tried the 12x10 concentric coil on a Silver uMax but from my reading and researching it will supposably keep up with the Minelab Excal's and the White's DFX's. I have heard it gets amazing depths, but will probably make the detector alittle nose heavy. Not to worry though because the Silver uMax is a very light detector. Steve.

One thing you need to consider when buying a larger coil...

especially for a machine that has a fixed ground balance. You may have to send the machine in with your coils to get the detector tuned to them. I never had the problem using smaller coils on a Tesoro but on my Golden Umax and Cortez I had to send them back to Tesoro when I got a 10x12 coil. I also found that there was more target masking with the big coil so many places I hunted I gained nothing with the larger coil. I had coils from the 4in to the 10z12 and actually used the 7in concentric most of all. My friend uses a Tesoro Cortez and his favorite coil is the 7inDD. Since I don't know how trashy the sites are you hunt, it's hard to say whether the big coil will help you.

Sorry, I somehow missed the part of your post where you said you hunt areas with little trash.

if that is the case, I would go with the larger coil. I never noticed much difference in depth between the 8in and the 9x8 coils. I would call Tesoro and ask them if they recommend you send in your detector and coils to be tuned though. With my detectors it made a noticable difference in performance in the big coil. Rusty Henry(I hope that's his last name) was always very helpful whenever I had a question. Several years ago I had a minor problem with one of my machines and called Tesoro on a friday not realizing they were closed that day. James Gifford(one of the owners I believe) answered the phone and took the time to help me and told me if I had any more problems to send the machine in and they would take care of it. Could you imagine calling most any other company and getting one of the owners to answer your call. That is why I will always own at least one Tesoro.

Best choice is to upgrade up the Tesoro range so you have a ground control before wasting money on a larger coil.
Even if you return the detector to be tuned to the larger coil its then not optimised for your smaller coils.

Whats been done in Europe for many years is to have a "Plus" upgrade.This adds a switch and extra circuitry so you can switch to the optimum for both small and large coil sizes.

if that is the case, I would go with the larger coil. I never noticed much difference in depth between the 8in and the 9x8 coils. I would call Tesoro and ask them if they recommend you send in your detector and coils to be tuned though. With my detectors it made a noticable difference in performance in the big coil. Rusty Henry(I hope that's his last name) was always very helpful whenever I had a question. Several years ago I had a minor problem with one of my machines and called Tesoro on a friday not realizing they were closed that day. James Gifford(one of the owners I believe) answered the phone and took the time to help me and told me if I had any more problems to send the machine in and they would take care of it. Could you imagine calling most any other company and getting one of the owners to answer your call. That is why I will always own at least one Tesoro.
Yes his last name is Henry, he really knows his stuff. It is not very hard to change the ground balance on Tesoro detectors that are factory set. Yeah yeah I know some folks gets nervous about opening up a Tesoro. There is a small (usually blue) trimmer pot. that you can turn to set the ground balance to where you want it. Steve. But ya didn't hear anything from me about that lil blue thing a ma bob.

That may be true but...

Yes his last name is Henry, he really knows his stuff. It is not very hard to change the ground balance on Tesoro detectors that are factory set. Yeah yeah I know some folks gets nervous about opening up a Tesoro. There is a small (usually blue) trimmer pot. that you can turn to set the ground balance to where you want it. Steve. But ya didn't hear anything from me about that lil blue thing a ma bob.

not having a true all metal mode with a threshold tone makes it harder to tell if you have the detector properly ground balanced. Unless I'm mistaken the Silver uMax doesn't have a true all metal mode and a piece of ferrite is used to set the ground balance. I've never used that model Tesoro so I don't know for sure. As someone else posted, when you have a detector with a fixed ground balance tuned for large and small sized coils it is a compromise and neither coil is tuned for optimum performance.

not having a true all metal mode with a threshold tone makes it harder to tell if you have the detector properly ground balanced. Unless I'm mistaken the Silver uMax doesn't have a true all metal mode and a piece of ferrite is used to set the ground balance. I've never used that model Tesoro so I don't know for sure. As someone else posted, when you have a detector with a fixed ground balance tuned for large and small sized coils it is a compromise and neither coil is tuned for optimum performance.
Tesoro uses two different discrimination circuits - ED 120 circuit and Ed 180 circuit. ED 120 machines have a true all metal mode when set at the bottom of the spectrum. The ED 180 machines are still discriminating out tiny iron even when set at the lowest setting. Some models have a threshold based all metal mode and some don't. Bet you all will sleep better tonight knowing that :tumble:. Steve.

Hey everyone, I just want to say thanks for all your input on my delima. Not to sure what I am gonna do yet since you gave me lots of options to think about. As for now i'm thinking of upgrading. Thanks again for your input. Bob

Hey everyone, I just want to say thanks for all your input on my delima. Not to sure what I am gonna do yet since you gave me lots of options to think about. As for now i'm thinking of upgrading. Thanks again for your input. Bob
Hi Bob, the guy that I bought my Silver uMax from has got a 12x10 concentric coil for sale for $85.00 The guy that bought my Silver uMax didn't want it. Steve.

Silver umax all metal mode

Sorry, Steve. The a/m mode is not a true a/m mode. It will disc out some small iron, though not very much. However, the a/m mode should be used when you set that blue thingamajig (that I don't know anything about,either:lol:) and the coil bobbed up and down while you're setting it. I did mine this way (hope Tesoro's not reading this) and could tell a little bit of difference, though the first try I set it too positive. Please use one of those plastic tuning tools and it only takes a little to change it a lot. BTW, sometimes it's factory set right, so take it to your worst area to set it and the rest of the areas should be fine.

Sorry, Steve. The a/m mode is not a true a/m mode. It will disc out some small iron, though not very much. However, the a/m mode should be used when you set that blue thingamajig (that I don't know anything about,either:lol:) and the coil bobbed up and down while you're setting it. I did mine this way (hope Tesoro's not reading this) and could tell a little bit of difference, though the first try I set it too positive. Please use one of those plastic tuning tools and it only takes a little to change it a lot. BTW, sometimes it's factory set right, so take it to your worst area to set it and the rest of the areas should be fine.
Hmm don't know a thing about what you are talking about, thingamajig what blue thingamajig :?:;). Yeah I know that the Silver is not a true all metal mode detector and almost always the Silver's factory setting works well for me. BTW I don't think that Tesoro ever listens - if they did they would want to hire me and give me millions & millions of dollars each year :lol:. Steve.

P.S. Are you the slingshot from another forum, if so welcome to this one it is a great place and if your not the slingshot that I am thinking about welcome anyways.

I wonder if the the guy with the 12X10 will be interested in a straight up trade for a 5.75 coil? Steve, PM me any info you can provide.

Jim

Hi Bob, the guy that I bought my Silver uMax from has got a 12x10 concentric coil for sale for $85.00 The guy that bought my Silver uMax didn't want it. Steve.

Hey Steve, thanks for the info on the coil. But now I have Tiger Shark on the brain! Did a lot of reading up on this one and seems like I cant go wrong. Saving my pennys now and hopefully before Xmas I can place the order. Does anyone outthere have any advice on this particular detector? I read the head phones are permanant. Are they of good quality as the Tiger Shark? Thanks again, Bob

I wonder if the the guy with the 12X10 will be interested in a straight up trade for a 5.75 coil? Steve, PM me any info you can provide.

Jim
I just got a email from him and he said he would swap with you Jim. I will pm you & you can give me your email address or phone number and I will give it to him. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom