Tesoro silver W/out a readout screen?

Something else to consider when thinking about a Tesoro without a display versus a machine with a display, is the response time. This is the time during a swing that the detector takes to recover between targets. Tesoro's have a very fast response time, which means that they can separate targets in closer proximity to each other than most detectors with the same size coil. I hunt with Tesoro’s and like them very much, but they are not for everybody. They take quite awhile to learn their sounds, but when you do they are excellent machines. I have 4 and the deepest one that I hunt with is the Vaquero and it is becoming my favorite. Bill in Texas

I don't know. For the first 15 years of detecting I had no display and went only on sound. Seems to me most people were quite thrilled when displays came along. Including myself.

Sound is still important, but sound AND display gives you more information to make that decision to dig or not. Some people have become reliant on a display, just as some people have become reliant on an indoor toilet. You can do without it in a pinch, but you prefer not to:D

Depth on beep-dig-machine?

I was looking at the Tesoro silver u max. How do you determine depth,type of find etc. without a screen:?: I'm looking to buy my first detector. I also have the minelab Terra 30 in mind. Thanx .

If I am not mistaken most US built machines are calibrated to and American dime, silver or clad I don't know. Put a dime down on the ground and see how deep you can detect it at full sensitivity. Now see how deep it is on minimum. Once you know these depths and take into account that it will usually be a bit less with the coin in he ground you can get a pretty good idea to depth of target by raising your coil until the tone goes away. I usually hunt at minimum sensitivity in a park setting until I have worked it for a while. This is why I suggested knowing both settings.

If you are hunting at full blast and your target disappears at minimum sensitivity setting you immediately know that it is a deeper coin or very small(gold earring ;) ) target. If it still stays really strong then you may have a shallow coin or deep pop can :) . A few minutes with a probe will tell you in short order.

Depth readings only help me to determine if I am even going to try and dig it. The parks that I hunt are riddled with sprinklers so the grounds keepers have asked me to not dig plugs. The control leads are very thin and a serrated edge goes through them like they are not even there. So in this situation anything deeper then 4" goes untouched. I have to probe extract.

I have not used a Silver but have a Bandido II non micro. With minimum sensitivity all signals are strong up to about 4" if they are coin sized but fade off fairly quickly in the ground.

Hopefully this is useful.

Bill from Texas is right, they are great machines and do take a bit of using to get familiar with them, The Vaq is a great machine I loved mine.

Don't any body ever cosider the recovery speed of a detector when talking about them? I have noticed that the hunters in the UK do discuss responce time. Bill in Texas

Last edited:
Don't any body ever cosider the recovery speed of a detector when talking about them? I have noticed that the hunters in the UK do discuss responce time. Bill in Texas
I always consider recovery speed & every Tesoro I have had is fast. The Fisher F2 & F4 is fast also. I don't how a person can use a detector with a delayed recovery speed, I would be bald from pulling my hair out. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom