Tesoro compadre metal detector problems

needler420

Elite Member
Iv gone to sell my detector after only using it a few times and when I went to disassemble it ceased up.

The black plastic pole is shoved all the way up the metal part of the pole making it so its for a very short person( as small as it can get)

Well its stuck all the way short with none of the metal prongs sticking out of the holes and I mean STUCK.

I've anchored it to my fence and man handled it to death. Put enough pressure on it in a straight position that you would think would free it but no.

Any more man handling and it'll be like the time I took a crowbar to my car and got whacked in the mouth.

Worst off Tesoro says that they won't cover that. They only warranty the actual coil and unit it self. The part that goes beep beep.

They said the pole locking up is consumers fault. Which I don't get they make the thing so tight that the black pole almost gets stuck in there. Id like to see other people take apart their compadre without man handling the locks. Worst off I never did anything to neglect it. I use to use a sock on my coil and always have. In fact the way I babied the machine many of you would make fun of it.

I use to wipe the thing after every use like its was some kind of special car.

The most tiny bit of sand that gets in will cease it up.

Long story short Tesoro is sending me pole locks for free at no charge. I have to put them on and take the old ones off myself.

Which for those of you that have the machine the pole locks are the two brown twist caps at each end of the pole.

Yeah ( they expect me to cut those off put new ones on etc. They also don't just snap in the guy said part of the process is going to need glue.

So yeah most likely what will happen is ill attempt to try and fix it on my own of course as I don't want a paper weight taking up space. For sure I can't sell it now and even worse I probably won't even be able to get it fixed for myself to use. I just bought this a few months ago after having to sell my things to fund it. Now I'm going to be down $160 ( not much I know its the principle) and I only used the machine a handful of times. Big waste if you ask me.

I went with tesoro because I thought they had good customer service and would fix most problems but they are going to leave me with my finger in my butt.

Ill post pics later of the problem.

Have you not tried a lubricant like spray silicon or perhaps WD40, let it penetrate and then try to pull apart? :?::?:

Also, how did you get grit in there? Were you hunting on a sandy beach or someplace like that?

Have you not tried a lubricant like spray silicon or perhaps WD40, let it penetrate and then try to pull apart? :?::?:

Also, how did you get grit in there? Were you hunting on a sandy beach or someplace like that?

Yeah already tried that it soaked in a bucket over night of veggie oil.

And I don't know how grit got in there or if that's even the problem. I took better care of it then most other people do with thier detector. I literally cleaned it after every single use because I stored it in my room.

Its kind of funny how stuck it is I'm not a weak person and all I'm capable of doing is twisting it. I don't think I even pulled it out half an inch after all the man handling.

Something tells me the locks on it were faulty and busted trapping the plastic half of the pole inside.

Other wise I don't get why tesoro would send me new locks and tell me to replace them. I don't even know how I'm going to cut them off. I don't have a single tool in my garage capable of doing that. Short of doing stupid things that can risk injury I don't know what to do. Tesoro left me in the dark here with no flashlight. :lol:

The only thing I can think of is just do what I can ill attempt to fix it when the locks come and if I can't I'm out a detector and $160 bucks.

Why not just buy a new shaft from tesoro,being
it sounds like you trashed the one you have now.

Why not just buy a new shaft from tesoro,being
it sounds like you trashed the one you have now.

That's what id have to do being as the coil and unit is fine.

Though I did bang it a bit while it was still attached to the pole trying to loosen it. To my knowledge the unit is fine which if it isn't that's on tesoro anyway.

But yeah I wasn't prepared to buy a new shaft this soon and probably won't.

If what I'm attempting to do now doesn't solve the problem its going into storage in the garage till I mess with it in the future.

Or I may just end up having to sell it broken as is and ask half the price.
One big sticking pile of !!!! though. The way I took care of my machine I shouldn't have had this happen.

Before this incident I was getting ready to sell it anyway so unless a new shaft is super cheap I'm better off just taking the loss and sell the unit and coil on its own no pole shaft.

sounds like you jammed the pole all the way down,
it does have those spring loaded clips that are now
compressed. How much could a new shaft be??
Buy a new one.

sounds like you jammed the pole all the way down,
it does have those spring loaded clips that are now
compressed. How much could a new shaft be??
Buy a new one.

My guess including shipping is going to be around $50 bucks.

That is probably what I would do if I planned to continue using it. Two days ago I just posted this machine for sale in the buy/sell/trade thread. Wouldn't make much sense to further invest in it when I was just about to sell it.

That's how this whole mess started. The detector was fine then once I found a buyer I started to take it apart to get it packaged up and that was his last days of beep beep beep. The whole reason I tried to dissassemble it was to sell it.

You most likley did not spend enough time in the "Church of the Compadre".

On a more serious note, I'm sure it you friend or neighbor has a dremel with thin cut off wheel, just cut of the plastic clamps? If tesoro sent you them already.

Mike

The black plastic pole is shoved all the way up the metal part of the pole making it so its for a very short person( as small as it can get)

So you shoved the lower shaft 16" into the middle one, and it's Tesoro's fault? What do you think the holes and locks are for?

So can you remove the upper part of the rod by the control housing? If so you should be able to put a screwdriver in that end and give it a few taps maybe?? Just took mine apart and trying to help.

I have had the same thing happen more than once with brand new out of the box Tesoro detectors. Sometimes the lower plastic shaft/rod is a thousandth or so larger than it should be, normally they will catch this at the factory but sometimes some get by them. I have sanded the lower plastic shaft,lubed it,etc. and the only fix is to get one that is the size it should be. Tesoro has sent me out a replacement lower rod as long as I promised to ship them back the old one.

To get it out, wrap the lower rod and the upper pole several times with a cloth,etc. and use a couple of pipe wrench's.

I have had the same thing happen more than once with brand new out of the box Tesoro detectors. Sometimes the lower plastic shaft/rod is a thousandth or so larger than it should be, normally they will catch this at the factory but sometimes some get by them. I have sanded the lower plastic shaft,lubed it,etc. and the only fix is to get one that is the size it should be. Tesoro has sent me out a replacement lower rod as long as I promised to ship them back the old one.

To get it out, wrap the lower rod and the upper pole several times with a cloth,etc. and use a couple of pipe wrench's.

Good suggestion!

Yeah I know it has to come out no matter what. What goes in must come out.

But it didn't go much past where the last locks go in only went that far in because even when I was trying to take it out with the locks loose it wouldn't budge out any further in. The only way it moved was further in so tried thinking it would free it.

I think they made the shaft too thick. A small amount of sand had gotten it and created the perfect friction to just lock it up.

I know It can come free but If I use too much force and the locks snap in place that can be a nasty situation considering I was thinking about using my car and a chain.

I think its too late though. The amount of force needed to free it is too dangerous. Anything around my house is too fragile to even use as an anchor for some leverage.

My fence might be the only thing

I won't give up, the battle has just began. Its either going to be me or the detector one of us is going down. Tomorrow I will man handle him too death!!!

Yeah I know it has to come out no matter what. What goes in must come out.

But it didn't go much past where the last locks go in only went that far in because even when I was trying to take it out with the locks loose it wouldn't budge out any further in. The only way it moved was further in so tried thinking it would free it.

I think they made the shaft too thick. A small amount of sand had gotten it and created the perfect friction to just lock it up.

I know It can come free but If I use too much force and the locks snap in place that can be a nasty situation considering I was thinking about using my car and a chain.

I think its too late though. The amount of force needed to free it is too dangerous. Anything around my house is too fragile to even use as an anchor for some leverage.

My fence might be the only thing

I won't give up, the battle has just began. Its either going to be me or the detector one of us is going down. Tomorrow I will man handle him too death!!!
Eat your Wheaties they can be tighter than bark to a tree.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,448

!!!

That would like killing an ant with a sledge hammer.

My lower stick on my Tiger Shark has stuck - because I have not washed it thoroughly after use in salty water beach. The very fine sand had stuck in the locks and I had to leave it in fresh water for some time to let it loose. WD40 could make things worse under some conditions. My advice is to try to take the shaft apart after every "tough environment" hunt.

Back
Top Bottom