Some say Iron grunts were silvers? What?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Ok not in this forum but I was reading finds treasure forum because they have a dedicated Xterra area. More than one person is struggling with iron signals mixed with good. Also iron grunts when checking hits that turned out to be silver dimes! Mercs and rosies!
Don't tell me this. I have not botheted to dig iron hits. And I havnt dug a miligram of silver. Not one period. Suspiciously I'm digging clad quaters 2 and 3 yrs away from silver,1966 and 1967 . I'm not fully buying it but I am concerned. The sites I'm on were built in the 70's and I'm not expecting much silver anyway but a stinkin little Rosie should pop up now and then,,,,right?
Help,,.oh brothers n sisters in Xterraville! Help,,, for the love of god. Are we walking past our beloved silver??:(

I don't have an xterra, but do have a lot of iron in my backyard. The house was built in 1946, and strongly suspect a previous wood structure (the iron source, nails). Most of the old stuff, and nails, start about 8 inches down. Those rusty nails ring in as good stuff occasionally, and don't bounce or sound all that bad. There are something like 17 different oxides of iron (rust), and it leaches and spreads into the surrounding soil. I'm pretty well convinced that it can ring up as most anything, just doesn't sound clean. 8 inches is about the extent of where my ID numbers are questionable, and I rely more on tones. Dig most anything most anywhere else, but in my yard, I don't want to dig a deep hole, for every beep, knowing it's most likely a nail. Only one Mercury dime, but probable the depth and iron hiding more. Have considered a deeper machine, but not real sure if it'll be worth spending thousands for a couple more inches.

I've read those posts, and I've tried to duplicate his scenario. It resulted in digging a bucket load of trash that I wouldn't have dug otherwise, and NO good targets. It almost makes me think that it's a scam. :lol:

Seriously, either there is something wrong with his machine, or there's something questionable about his setup. He says that he even gets iron signals air testing beyond a certain distance, which I also can't duplicate.

Don't worry about it. You're not missing anything that you wouldn't anyway. Trust your machine to do what you know it can do. All questioning it w/o proof does is needlessly cost you money and sleep. Until I experience it first hand it's hearsay, and worth about as much of my concern as someone claiming 18" on a dime with a 6" coil.

Besides, you're over 2000 miles from where he's detecting. I'm sure that the soil conditions are quite different in Connecticut than they are in Oregon.

I haven't read those posts. It is possible that it just so happened that the machine hit on a silver that was masked 100% by iron. Then when the iron signal was dug out pops a silver. Any 100% iron grunt would not be something I would ever dig. Bigger fish to fry on the next sweep.

With probably any detector , even silver " can" sound like iron or anything else on the conductive scale , if it is beyond the detectors accurate depth range. Depending on the circumstances of course. These are probably super deeeep coins.

Yes and thanks, especially LH as always. But as I said I'm concerned and not completely buying it. The post is also my ackward attemp at humor. Ok I was a bit worried! After posting it I did think that he probably unearthed a small piece of iron that was in the dirt spread at the suface. Then his scanning of the hole after retrieving his rosie was clean of signal. I did check many hits while learning the 705 and gave up checking because the thing is just that good once you slow down and listen.
But again thanks, I wanted to share this story although now I'm feelin somewhat the fool for not trusting completely what I've seen myself. A solid, stable, hellofa machine.

With probably any detector , even silver " can" sound like iron or anything else on the conductive scale , if it is beyond the detectors accurate depth range. Depending on the circumstances of course. These are probably super deeeep coins.
If he said that it dropped off a few points I could understand, and I could buy that. But by more than 40 points.....tells me there's more to the story.

that digger will scream silver when you hit it. I use an ETrac all the time now but I know the grunts you are talking about. it's not an iron tone more of a thunk than a grunt to me but the few I've dug I have been not been rewarded. but even with the Etrac they say the same thing when you get the grunt/thunk that is not an iron tone, to dig it ... they say it is super deep silver at times and is deeper than the machine can ID it

Its random and depends on how trashy a spot is even mineral conditions. Even today i found a 1917-s merc that was hopping dime iron dime iron dime iron because it was picking up both a merc and a bent to !!!! nail that was half an inch away. Its all luck but when u find a silver most of the time it will let u know even through trash, all i can say is even if the signal is not solid but it keeps coming back dig it. My best hole was a nail a pulltab some foil and a silver rosie lol.

Unlike general old age of coins in circulation, post 64 most coins in circulation got horded and very few left in pockets in 70s. Yes the still turn up rarely even today in change but the odds of a drop went way down quickly. Go to pre-50s sites to have much better odds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Unlike general old age of coins in circulation, post 64 most coins in circulation got horded and very few left in pockets in 70s. Yes the still turn up rarely even today in change but the odds of a drop went way down quickly. Go to pre-50s sites to have much better odds.

Thanks,, that's an exelent tip. I was just thinking about silver coins and the 70s years yesterday. People were checking the edges of their pocket change all the time back then. They'd throw silver in a jar and save it long ago or give/swap it to relatives and friends who hoarded silver. Whew..!! That was long ago. No wonder I'm not hitting the shiny stuff lately.:roll:

Yeah I ment the silver coins. I didn't state that apparently. Just inherited about 8 lbs of silver coinage from a relative and this was only 1/8 of total horde.

Yeah I ment the silver coins. I didn't state that apparently. Just inherited about 8 lbs of silver coinage from a relative and this was only 1/8 of total horde.

Yeah bud, i knew ya meant silver. This kind of writing for fun anywho. Me I'm way long winded so I over explain. Live with wife n my Sister, never other guys to talk too much.

Well that's a nice nest egg toward some gear n then some. I've just hit my first yr mding. I reasearched and studied it hard though. Started with the BH Discovery 1100. Quickly found the first silver on a trail, 1964 kennedy half. Couple weeks later at friends 180 yr old house, I said these huge trees are where people sat in the shade, refering to the biggest oldest tree. I said that's a good spot for old coins. I am not kidding,,,we pulled out the BH 1100 and 10 minutes and 3 holes later we pulled out a 1907 Barber half dollar. Shiny as the day it hit the ground. Had a 22 cal deep dent almost stretching through it. Apparent target practice/contest 80, 90, maybe 100 yrs ago. And right where I pointed before and said- "Good spot for old coins". No joke. I thought, man this is going to be easy finding old silver coins. Boy I'll actually make money just with melt value I thought..... Ha ha, havnt hit not one since! I'm due though,,,,man I'm due for the cha ching. HH all..

Last edited:
Silver dimes read as iron

I'm afraid this is true about the X-terra 705, at least in highly mineralized soil. I know Longhair has had his machine for a very long time and is an expert with it, but either he doesn't have the same soil around here, and/or hasn't run depth tests in a test garden to see this phenomena. BTW, soil around here reads an "iron number" of 110,000 to 150,000 when wet (this is Oregon!)

When a silver dime gets close to the limit of detection here (about 6"), silver dimes read as "hot rocks" (+48). That is OK, other machines do the same. The mineralization is shifting the phase detector reading, up. However, as you approach the limit of detection (~7") the dime gives a negative response! It IDs at -8. This should not occur.

This has been confirmed by at least 3 other users in different parts of the country. This is not a scam.

This is the response at 3KHz, where I planned to use the unit. 18KHz gives a 50/50 -8/+48 response.

I've had an email into Minelab support about this for over a month and although the US service in Chicago says they have it, no response.

Being a retired engineer, I have a theory that either the phase detection is not accurate, or the firmware that reduces the data is in error.

I have since sold my X-terra 705, since this is an unacceptable result for me.

George

I'm afraid this is true about the X-terra 705, at least in highly mineralized soil. I know Longhair has had his machine for a very long time and is an expert with it, but either he doesn't have the same soil around here, and/or hasn't run depth tests in a test garden to see this phenomena. BTW, soil around here reads an "iron number" of 110,000 to 150,000 when wet (this is Oregon!)

When a silver dime gets close to the limit of detection here (about 6"), silver dimes read as "hot rocks" (+48). That is OK, other machines do the same. The mineralization is shifting the phase detector reading, up. However, as you approach the limit of detection (~7") the dime gives a negative response! It IDs at -8. This should not occur.

This has been confirmed by at least 3 other users in different parts of the country. This is not a scam.

This is the response at 3KHz, where I planned to use the unit. 18KHz gives a 50/50 -8/+48 response.

I've had an email into Minelab support about this for over a month and although the US service in Chicago says they have it, no response.

Being a retired engineer, I have a theory that either the phase detection is not accurate, or the firmware that reduces the data is in error.

I have since sold my X-terra 705, since this is an unacceptable result for me.

George

I have the 3Khz 15" WOT coil that I have tested on deep coins. The test bed has a 6" IH, 10" silver dime and 12" silver quarter. The 705 gave a good clear signal on each one and the ID was right on track. I will note that my soil is fairly mild. I have never experienced the iron grunt on a silver coin as you described. This is my 2nd 705 and traded the first one for an Etrac. I have never had any issues finding silver with them. MY results were videoed and are posted on my YouTube channel

in my back yard with my soil. xterra set up sens 24, all metal, threshold 6, ground balance positive -2, soil reads 20 on machine. a quarter at a real 12" reads at -6 steady. this is with the stock concentric 7.5khz 9" coil. if its any consolation The F2 and ETP didnt even chip with the 11 DD coil. i also checked the ground with 4 detectors before i buried it.

in my back yard with my soil. xterra set up sens 24, all metal, threshold 6, ground balance positive -2, soil reads 20 on machine. a quarter at a real 12" reads at -6 steady. this is with the stock concentric 7.5khz 9" coil. if its any consolation The F2 and ETP didnt even chip with the 11 DD coil. i also checked the ground with 4 detectors before i buried it.

Just curious ... is this a freshly buried coin ? In the test garden that I used, the coins have been in the ground over a year. I will have to go back with the 9" 7.5 Khz coil and check how it does. I ran this test prior to getting the 505 and did not have this coil available.

buried only a few weeks ago. the xterra goes as deep as i would ever want to dig. i cant wait to get the dd coil and go back over the coins i buried. i tried lowing the sens as well to see if i was getting some "blowback" from the minimized soil. 22-24 seemed to be the best at getting depth in my soil.

buried only a few weeks ago. the xterra goes as deep as i would ever want to dig. i cant wait to get the dd coil and go back over the coins i buried. i tried lowing the sens as well to see if i was getting some "blowback" from the minimized soil. 22-24 seemed to be the best at getting depth in my soil.

I really want the 10.5 DD too but gonna have to wait for a while. I think it hit the coins in the test garden with no problem.

I have the 3Khz 15" WOT coil that I have tested on deep coins. The test bed has a 6" IH, 10" silver dime and 12" silver quarter. The 705 gave a good clear signal on each one and the ID was right on track. I will note that my soil is fairly mild. I have never experienced the iron grunt on a silver coin as you described. This is my 2nd 705 and traded the first one for an Etrac. I have never had any issues finding silver with them. MY results were videoed and are posted on my YouTube channel

The key to your results: "mild ground". It is highly mineralized soil that shifts the ID reading. BTW, the GB readings vary from ~ 9 to 14 here as well.
If you live on the East Coast or where there is little mineralization, you are lucky. You won't see this problem. Oh, you will never find a dime at 10" around here! George

Back
Top Bottom