Another New History Channel Series "River Detecting" Featuring Beau Known As "Aquachigger"

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Attachments

• river forth.jpg
    river forth.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 673
He seems like a very nice guy. I watched his videos for a long time. I learned quite a bit and not just about detecting. I wish him well.

Like seeing youngths and people who have always wanted to try detecting get started. The only problem I have with this is there will be tens of thousands of idiots buying detectors and they will ruin it by tearing up parks, not asking permission etc etc. The good is metal detecting companies and dealers will sell a lot more and for us there will be a lot of lightly used detectors for sale when they don’t find a gold ring every time they go out.

Like seeing youngths and people who have always wanted to try detecting get started. The only problem I have with this is there will be tens of thousands of idiots buying detectors and they will ruin it by tearing up parks, not asking permission etc etc. The good is metal detecting companies and dealers will sell a lot more and for us there will be a lot of lightly used detectors for sale when they don’t find a gold ring every time they go out.

I spoke with a multi line dealer years ago. He sold many machines. He said that 90% of the machines he sells, end up in a closet. They go out a few times, dig a lot of junk, maybe a penny or two, get disappointed and quit. The dreams of finding silver, gold, jewelry & relics just don't come easily. A great example of impulse buying. Maybe 2-3% of the people actually go out and do well. Regularly getting good finds takes a bit of hard work, time and experience. Not for everyone! This conversation happened 25 years ago.

So, the tens of thousands of detectorists just doesn't happen. And......it's even harder today to get silver, gold and relics, as a lot of places have been hit hard.

All the forums, videos and other social media available paint a dream picture in peoples minds of easy wealth. In reality, it takes a lot of time, experience with detector, research, right machine, right coil, right location etc. to regularly produce good finds.

If only we just showed a pic the junk we find on each hunt, sales of machines would drop drastically!

Currently have this situation in my area of Asia. Every tom dick and Joe without a job has taken up detecting as a full time job

I spoke with a multi line dealer years ago. He sold many machines. He said that 90% of the machines he sells, end up in a closet. They go out a few times, dig a lot of junk, maybe a penny or two, get disappointed and quit. The dreams of finding silver, gold, jewelry & relics just don't come easily. A great example of impulse buying. Maybe 2-3% of the people actually go out and do well. Regularly getting good finds takes a bit of hard work, time and experience. Not for everyone! This conversation happened 25 years ago.

So, the tens of thousands of detectorists just doesn't happen. And......it's even harder today to get silver, gold and relics, as a lot of places have been hit hard.

All the forums, videos and other social media available paint a dream picture in peoples minds of easy wealth. In reality, it takes a lot of time, experience with detector, research, right machine, right coil, right location etc. to regularly produce good finds.

If only we just showed a pic the junk we find on each hunt, sales of machines would drop drastically!
Good points...well said.

Back
Top Bottom